Hunting MP desyncs ... not yet but we are getting closer

raystuttgart

Civ4Col Modder
Hi guys,

no, not yet fixed, but we at least got valuable information ...:hmm:...:think: ...:badcomp:...:wallbash:
(see below next post)

Spoiler :

I might have fixed MP desyncs. :)
I would need 2 testers from the team to verify it in a MP game though.

How to verify / test for me:
  • Please compile the newest DLL from development branch "Plains".
  • (Of course also use all other changes from "Plains" - otherwise it will crash)
  • Start a MP game together - sorry but "Plains" is a bit experimental.
  • Do "Bargaining with Natives" (Haggling for the price)
  • Please also wait until you get DLL Diplo Events like e.g. "Native Mercenaries" or "African Slaves"
--> If it does not desync I most likely fixed all MP game desyncs.
--> If it does still desync I was simply wrong and MP game desyncs are not solved.

Please let me know. :thumbsup:
Thanks in advance.

Best regard,
ray

Last edited:
No they are not yet fixed. They are stil there. :shake:
But we found out something quite interesting that may help us to analyze.

It is so unique that it is almost possible to be a coincidence:
We had 4 player playing an MP games.
  • the MP-Sync check of 2 of them was the same --> Pair A
  • the MP-Sync check of 2 was also the same --> Pair B
We now just need to find out
  • what makes the players in Pair A match
  • what makes the players in Pair B match
  • what makes Pair A differ from Pair B
It is basically a puzzle of systematic analyzis ... :think:

This seems like a new piece. You are right about the Pair A and B. When we desync ( 3player game) it's always 1 that desyncs. At some point we cant reload anymore because the game crashes.
If you need me to test anything with the boys I can arrange a 'game night' for us to play.

We currently believe that the OOS desyncs in MP games may have been caused by bugged Steam version that has problems with mods.
(Many Players still do not know about that issue ... sadly. Thus they still use the default installation. Which in our opinion is steams fault though for making the "bugged version" default.)

Everybody currently experiencing OOS desyncs in MP games, thus please read here.
It is absolutely necessary to follow those instrcutions anyways if you want to continue playing WTP once we publish our next release.

This theory is currently in test at several befriended MP players. :thumbsup:
(We will know for sure in a couple of days.)

Just to bump here:

We found out that the OOS are not related to the bugged Steam version. At least several of them are related to feature logic of the mod, some maybe to Vanilla logic.
(Other bugs reported were however were definitely related to it, so please continue to use "Original Release Version" of Steam as described here.)

After getting lots of data from OOS logs from a testing team around @Mr. ZorG , we are however one step closer again. :hug:
(We could verify again that at least some OOS are definitely caused by DLL-Diplomacy dialogues and we believe we know why.)

----

Please stay patient. :thumbsup:
We are still trying to fix the OOS issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: nci
Anything new on this subject? OOS issues are the number 1 reason we stopped playing RaR/WTP.

Anything new on this subject?
We have not eliminated OOS issues yet, sorry.
We did not find time to analyze the data we got from MP games yet.

Currently there are high priority topics to finish Single Player first.
Without Single Player there is also no Multi Pllayer, so it takes priority.

Sorry, we are just a few active modders working on the mod.
But analysing and fixing these OOS issues is still on the todo list.

Last edited:
Currently there are high priority topics to finish Single Player first.
Without Single Player there is also no Multi Pllayer, so it takes priority.

To be fair, the OOS issues have been there for years, even ever since in RaR as well. This has always been a major major major issue. I respect the time and effort you are putting in this mod, please do not get me wrong here.
But saying that the single player is a higher priority is not a fair argument anymore. I hope that the analysis task can get a jump on your priority list.

To be fair, the OOS issues have been there for years, even ever since in RaR as well.
We know that and if it was easy to fix we would have already done so.

But saying that the single player is a higher priority is not a fair argument anymore.
I am talking about current tasks right now in current internal development that need to be done first.
We first need to finish other things the next weeks, so other modders in the team may continue their own work.

Once we have finished these things and Single-Player works as we want to for next release, we can turn to Multi-Player.
But if Single-Player does not yet work or is bugged there is also no Multi-Player possible. MP functionality builds on top of SP functionality.

I hope that the analysis task can get a jump on your priority list.
As I said we first need to finish what I am working on.

-----

We will try to take a proper look at it again once we are in internal beta testing. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Reactions: nci
Top Bottom