[BTS] I beat a HoF record!!! (from a certain point of view)

Fish Man

Emperor
Well, this is it. I've finally done something I've dreamed of doing since almost half a year ago. I've managed a pre 1400 AD, or sub t600 space win on monarch - turn 591, 1392 AD, to be exact. Leader is HC (who else :crazyeye:), and some opponents were hand-picked but the rest I let RNG decide; this is continents, large, marathon. A slight thing to note: I did cheat (by savescumming a couple times and also worldbuildering away excess culture in the end to stop myself from winning dom because I was an idiot and didn't uncheck that VC, and at any rate went a bit too trigger-happy in my conquering spree) so this is not HoF worthy by any means. Shame that I cheated, cuz last I checked if I didn't and I used BUFFY for this I would've actually BEATEN the current record holder for HoF large monarch marathon space by a good ~30 years...still, I fully enjoyed the experience, though it did get a tad monotonous at times (managing 60-70 workers and whatnot).

Learned a couple of things about fast space wins; not sure if they're all entirely accurate. First, milestones: I've peeked at some of the HoF space games and after crunching some numbers and comparing their rates to mine, I've decided on some tech dates that need to be met approximately to win sub-t200 (in standard time) space. Currency by 2000-ish BC, CoL and CS by 1700-ish BC, printing press by 1000 BC, communism by the time 1 AD rolls around or pretty dang close to it, start building Apollo 850 AD, teching fusion before 1300 AD. In terms of cities: I had 20 by the time 1 AD rolled around and over half were from elepault/trebuchet conquest. I also had somewhere in the neighborhood of 800-900 BPT around that time, which seemed to me absolutely ludicrous as I had never encountered anything of the sort (well not really considering what @WastinTime is doing, but still, you get my point). Knightrushing was also very effective, especially when you tech so fast the opposition doesn't even have longbows by the time you're in industrial era.

Some words about tech path: standard worker techs, currency, oracle CS slingshot, printing press, astro (to meet other continent and get trade routes) to communism, electricity, corporation, economics, steam power, assembly line, industrialism, rocketry, plastics, superconductors, fusion, genetics, composites, ecology. Figured out that you don't need refrigeration to complete the SS, which changed my entire game plan...Traded for alphabet, IW, monarchy, feudalism, and the last tiny portion of gunpowder. Detoured to engineering somewhere around 500 BC for trebrushing Peter. I popped 4 extended GAs (from MoM): first after researching communism for civic changes, second from Taj, last two to speed through the final SS parts.

Not going into full detail with a report here, because it's getting late (unless people want to hear it), but I will say...this was one of my first times trebrushing and knightrushing, and I gotta say I quite like these units when the best thing the enemy's got are archers and axemen. The earlier the conquest the better (to an extent), at least on lower difficulties like these where the AI derps around not developing their cities and their workers would honestly be put to better use in your hands...so trebs vs archers is preferable to cannons vs longbows, etc.

One last thing to note - for such a good game this was the worst cap I've had in a long while. A single grassland cow as food, only 3 river tiles, 2 oases which are nice for the first 50 turns until you realize they can't be cottaged...just all around blegh. SP caste workshops somewhat made up for it at the end, but still, Cuzco should've been renamed Poverty Point in this map :lol:.

OK, that's it for now - rambling done. Feel free to give it a spin and see what you can make happen with this "bad" yet weirdly OP start, or give me some pointers to where I can improve. For now I'll be taking a long break from civ, hopefully, to concentrate on my studies, but if this be the last game I play, it would well deserve the honor.

Attachments

• Elon Muuuuusk AD-1392 VICTORY t591 YESSSSSSS FINALLY.CivBeyondSwordSave
    591.8 KB · Views: 38
  • Elon Muuuuusk BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    115.8 KB · Views: 31
  • 20180215004215_1.jpg
    20180215004215_1.jpg
    846.1 KB · Views: 64
  • 20180215004242_1.jpg
    20180215004242_1.jpg
    447.4 KB · Views: 57
  • 20180215004250_1.jpg
    20180215004250_1.jpg
    794.8 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Congrats on a good game! :goodjob:

Taking a break from civ every now and then is a good idea. When you come back, you could make some real attempts at grabbing HoF slots. It's a nice motivator to get your name in the tables. With >2000 slots to compete for, there are plenty of slots you could easily grab, and after playing some focused games, you'll notice you've improved enough to tackle a lot of previously unreachable slots as well. ;)

To comment a little more... A well-deserved break I'd say. Hopefully you come back one day. I need to take breaks from Civ from time to time as well. Currently the switch is 'on', but I know that at some point I'll have to go vacant for months on end again - before probably returning to scratch the itch.

If Marathon Space is the name of the game, there are many games in the Hall of Fame that can be improved upon. Also without using the OP Huyana Capac ;) There is currently a campaign going to overtake spots held by HC, and there are certainly other leaders that can get the job done. Maybe not as efficiently in the early game, as Quechuas are simply the textbook definition of overpowered, but leaders like Darius and Elizabeth are also very powerful, for different reasons.

If you play with Buffy for the HoF, there can be no reloads, replaying of turns or World Buildering though ;)

Top Bottom