I hate that.

Ringo Kid

Prince
Playing rome in the earth scenario. Having a great time conquering every one. Then the chinese, who I had not hardly met yet go and build the AP and get a diplo victory. I hate that. In this scenario what would be the best way to prevent that. Build it yourself? Have a fleet standing by to seize the AP city as soon as it is built? Problem being that china is just so far away on this map. Any better ideas?

Spreading the AP-religion to all of your cities, to get more votes. If your empire is really large, like I expect from Rome, it's possible that you alone can make the diplo-win fail.

I played the scenario again- this time I bee lined the AP and built it myself. Then I built temples and monasteries every where to "get the hammers back" , and built the minaret and sankore . Makes for a wierd tech path though. But a very strong civ.

You could create a colony and make sure it has a non Ap religion. Other than that burn the Ap or spread it heavily in your cities.

I was surprised to see that building the AP myself worked well. Conquest victory in 1650. Anyway my honor is restored.

That would work. But I like to play an honest game. I know a lot of people prefer no random events, no barbs, and go code diving to beat the computer. Maybe at diety that is called for. But I play at noble-immortal range depending on my mood. And immortal generally kicks my ass. :)

AP victory by the AI is usually the worst form of cheese... the AI just gets lucky sometimes and does it. You can try to stop it but, I've had a hall of fame attempt on a Tiny size map I think it was, lost to the cheesiest AP victory. This AI won I swear he was the only one who voted for himself. Like what the heck???? No one else was running his religion, he had high population cities and just when I think I'm doing well whammo "Cheater-face has won a Diplo victory!!!" pops up. I get a feeling of dread now.. every time when that Religious Leader (Diplomatic Victory) prompt comes up and there's one or two AIs on it... fingers crossed please AI don't insta-win in 700 AD somehow.

@ Fractal Spiral: I heared, that it's impossible to win with only onesself votes, the option to choose diplomatic win wouldn't even show up, is that wrong?

@ Fractal Spiral: I heared, that it's impossible to win with only onesself votes, the option to choose diplomatic win wouldn't even show up, is that wrong?

As far as I know you need at least one other civ to vote for you.

If the AP is in a religion nobody is running or only the host has and someone still likes him, he will be the only eligible candidate for RLDV.

What level do you play? I don't have much experience with Earth scenario, but I often play Earth 18 civs. Playing any civilization starting in Europe usually allows killing 2 or 3 opponents with warriors (even at monarch level), because AI doesn’t obtain starting archer.
After such start, the rest of the game is usually super easy (especially with Rome), because the cities in Europe are real powerhouses. I don’t have to care about AP at all. On the other hand, I often struggle with AP resolutions on random maps.

Usually noble - monarch. The AI does have archers in this one.

Top Bottom