1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[Civ2] I have the old disks, should I upload some things?

Discussion in 'Civ2 - General Discussions' started by Konig15, Dec 8, 2019.

1. Konig15

Konig15 Warlord

Now I've been going through my old computers and stuff from my childhood and I DO have the original files for Civ 2 and both expansion packs. I probably have the FW CD around somewhere, but I do have all the scenarios, as well as the old videos....I think.

For the purposes of convenience can I load them to the downloads sections considering Civ 2 is abandonware or is there going to be an issue? The Civ 2 emulator I posted works like a charm but no scenarios or sound or videos and I can upload all of those once I got through my old CDs in the back of my car. Am I allowed to do such a thing? And if so, what's the size limit for a ZIP file to be hosted here?

2. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

There would almost certainly be an issue with uploading the game files. I'm sure that the administrators here don't want to risk a lawsuit, regardless of how effective claiming that something is abandonware might be in court (I have my doubts that it would be effective in any case).

3. Konig15

Konig15 Warlord

The thing is, these are a ***** to find, and what's more I'm basically "fudge it" t this point and using an ancient Windows XP computer to open these things and then port them via a flash drive. It's cumbersome but far, FAR less annoying. I figure if we ever want to have a chance to draw new players (I do want someone to play my scenarios assuming they get off the ground) then ease of installation and getting all the files is a must. With that in mind, I have all this stuff, what should I do with it?

4. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

I share your frustration with the inability to point people to a clearly legal source for Civ II, but it is what it is. I don't care about 'piracy' for a 20 year old game, but no one wants to take the risk that the rights holder will come along and make a fuss.

Konig15 likes this.
  5. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

Prof. Garfield is likely right. However, only the owner of the site can answer that for sure. It used to be Thunderfall; I suppose it still is, but I am not sure.

Having said that, I just checked and copies of Civ II are available for sale online. Thus, it is still possible for a determined person to get it.