I officially give up on the Civ series

Donut9

Chieftain
I know you guys are going to jump all over this and call me a "troll", or this or that, but I don't care.

This game is a watered down piece of garbage. It is a great combat strategy game, but that is only a minor province in what a good Civ game should be. I am so disappointed. I know it is only a video game, but the Civ series is probably my favourite of all time, and I feel like as a member of its core fan base, I have been betrayed to the demons of "accessibility" and "marketability" that are the coin phrases and staples of any modern game developer. These translate to watered down and shallow. That pretty much sums this game up. Sure, it is more complex than say, Halo, but this is CIV, and these games are supposed to be deep in many ways.

Anyway, you are now free to respond and inform me of all the ways in which I am a troll. I don't care. This is my opinion. This game is HORRIBLE.

If you've given up on the CIV series, why are you still here? I mean I understand that you want to vent your frustration, but what do plan to accomplish by posting this here?

I know you guys are going to jump all over this and call me a "troll", or this or that, but I don't care.

This game is a watered down piece of garbage. It is a great combat strategy game, but that is only a minor province in what a good Civ game should be. I am so disappointed. I know it is only a video game, but the Civ series is probably my favourite of all time, and I feel like as a member of its core fan base, I have been betrayed to the demons of "accessibility" and "marketability" that are the coin phrases and staples of any modern game developer. These translate to watered down and shallow. That pretty much sums this game up. Sure, it is more complex than say, Halo, but this is CIV, and these games are supposed to be deep in many ways.

Anyway, you are now free to respond and inform me of all the ways in which I am a troll. I don't care. This is my opinion. This game is HORRIBLE.

Can we assume then, that you had it too easy in beating the game on normal difficulty?

The thing is, it's hard to say that was anything more than a troll attempt because you could replace the words "combat strategy" and "Civ", with words relating to the game that's being slandered and plug this post into any game forum out there. It lacks specific reasons.

Anyway, yes, there are some things that make me scratch my head (lack of "real" endings and "fertilizer" as a separate tech, for example), but there are other things that make me chuckle evilly. (Occasionally one-shotting enemy units with a ranged attack)

There's also things to make gameplay more challenging, like semi-finite resources and the one unit per turn. This game was never going to be Civ 4 on a hex grid.

A core fan whould not whine.A core fan will put constructive critcism. Is it me or all the whine threads here are from people that are prince level wannabe pros that realised their cookie cutter playstile does not apply anymore?!

Anyways a piece of advice.No sane developer or contributor from the community can take your "I quit" post seriously.You know why? Because they can not be taken hostage of the work they do by people that do threats and nothing more.

If you've given up on the CIV series, why are you still here? I mean I understand that you want to vent your frustration, but what do plan to accomplish by posting this here?

Because he's hoping like many of us, that things will be changed to make it better. That the criticsms won't be ignored for the sake of the mass market.

Can I have your stuff?

I totally disagree with the OP on every point.

What point?? this kid didn't make ANY reasonable point as too why he thinks what he does , all he did whined that it was too accessible and "watered down" Even though the core game is still as deep and rewarding as Civ IV... ( just without all the useless and gimmicky systems and spreadsheets and the clunky interface.)

Now while I would love for them to actually give us in depths explanations for everything and I agree that there are a ton of things that need fixing, your crying is not justified and the idea that the game has been "waterdown" is a claim without substance, and is just a bunch of crybabies whining about the most inane changes and omissions from IV, even if those changes are much better.

please topic creator, I would love to hear your reasons for claiming that the core game is "watered down"

Well, you wrote exactly what I'm thinking about this and a lot of other today's games other than, that I play and will play the previous versions.

Well, there's still Civ 4, enjoy it.

I've played Civ4 for like the last 5 years already. It has problems and has met its limitations for new things to do via modding, so it is getting a little old. The developers need to know what a piece of garbage they've made so they can fix it hopefully with a huge expansion pack if they're too greedy to just patch all the removed features in for free.

The modders have a huge amount of work to do, too much even. If they get something like Rise of Mankind done with all the features and some of the few nice new Civ5 features, I'll happily drop money for the modders instead of buying the next expansion from these greedy and minimalistic developers.

The game is about as deep as a kiddie pool. This is the first time that in a transition between games in the civ series I had to boost the difficulty instead of reducing it. I'm currently in the process of winning an emperor game and I still have very little idea what I am doing, I was a monarch civ4 player at best.

I honestly don't care that civ5 dumped a lot of the micro, that wasn't what made civ fun for me, what made it fun was that it was a challenge. The feeling of real progression, not like WoW where I could kill 100 pigs and level up to kill 100 bats and experience no real difference in difficulty, I actually had to get better at the game to play a higher level. Civ5 simply isn't challenging nor is it engaging, it's a game I could see playing for maybe a few weeks.

They took a game that was already excessively focused on military and increased the military focus, conquest victory became much easier, the AI got even worse at managing an army if you can believe that, and the focus on effective use of smaller numbers of units essentially negates the AI production bonuses at high levels.

The game is about as deep as a kiddie pool. This is the first time that in a transition between games in the civ series I had to boost the difficulty instead of reducing it. I'm currently in the process of winning an emperor game and I still have very little idea what I am doing, I was a monarch civ4 player at best.

I honestly don't care that civ5 dumped a lot of the micro, that wasn't what made civ fun for me, what made it fun was that it was a challenge. The feeling of real progression, not like WoW where I could kill 100 pigs and level up to kill 100 bats and experience no real difference in difficulty, I actually had to get better at the game to play a higher level. Civ5 simply isn't challenging nor is it engaging, it's a game I could see playing for maybe a few weeks.

They took a game that was already excessively focused on military and increased the military focus, conquest victory became much easier, the AI got even worse at managing an army if you can believe that, and the focus on effective use of smaller numbers of units essentially negates the AI production bonuses at high levels.

The claim about difficulty is pretty accurate and is a valid complaint

The game itself though is still deep especially the new diplomacy system and city states. The fact that production is slower and they have maintenance also makes it so you have to think about what you're going to build and how you're going to focus a city. The depth of balancing and improving your economy , balancing expansion/conquest, specializing cities is all still there though.

it's a shame that the military AI is awful because the core game is still good old civ.

Do you have any idea how complex a game like Halo is? Apart from doing Physical calculations on the 3 D environment the AI must be aware of and to react to it's surrounding in real time! It is not "Well let's see I got some warriors here so I'll move them here because I have a limited script my programmer told me I should do this not that." sort of deal. Lots more numbers are taken into account.

I'll try not to jump.

This game is a watered down piece of garbage.
Venting ... I'll ignore.

It is a great combat strategy game,
I don't disagree ... replace 'a great' with 'now just a'

but that is only a minor province in what a good Civ game should be.
Subjective.

I am so disappointed.
Venting.

I know it is only a video game, but the Civ series is probably my favourite of all time,
I agree.

and I feel like as a member of its core fan base,
This game has several different cores in its fan base.
I'm not sure which core you are in.

I have been betrayed to the demons of "accessibility" and "marketability" that are the coin phrases and staples of any modern game developer. These translate to watered down and shallow. That pretty much sums this game up. Sure, it is more complex than say, Halo, but this is CIV,
Venting ... subjective, yet understandable.

and these games are supposed to be deep in many ways.
I agree.

Your opinion is noted.

At the heart of this new series (V) is a major combat overhaul.
This appears to be the focus of this vanilla release.
Firaxis
... is hotfixing issues/bugs
... (as expected)
Players
... are getting used to combat changes
... learning the basic game engine changes
... learning the basic game mechanic changes
... (again, as expected)

Balancing, added depth, new mechanics (espionage, religion, or whatever)
... will be added in time.
These may require players to
... expend more finances
... and/or download mods.
I believe
... this game will eventually be very deep.
Also, I believe
... the middlemen will never stop lining their pockets with our money.
Only time will tell whether this is good, bad, or ugly.

Life is too short
... to stress over a video game.
Go hug a friend, play Civ IV,
... or whatever activity is truly refreshing to you.

In a year (or two),
... you may happen upon Civ V again
... and discover it has blossomed
... into the very game
... your heart desires.

Best wishes,
RD-BH

''I was so crazy about you, everyone knew.
I couldn't sleep when I found out, yeah
You feel the way you do.
So maybe it's my turn now.
To show you how I feel (show you how I feel)
So listen to what I say
Cause these feelings, I can't conceal...

I'm giving up on love, cause I've been hurt before,
Giving up on love, and I don't want you no more.
Giving up on love, cause I've been hurt before,
Giving up on love, and I don't want you no more''

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e2eGmq6yjo

I've played Civ4 for like the last 5 years already. It has problems and has met its limitations for new things to do via modding, so it is getting a little old. The developers need to know what a piece of garbage they've made so they can fix it hopefully with a huge expansion pack if they're too greedy to just patch all the removed features in for free.

The modders have a huge amount of work to do, too much even. If they get something like Rise of Mankind done with all the features and some of the few nice new Civ5 features, I'll happily drop money for the modders instead of buying the next expansion from these greedy and minimalistic developers.

Totally agree. Firaxis basically gave their all their work to the modding community to finish the job they didn't finish.

The AI, which Firaxis had been trying so hard to hype up and promote, is absolutely absurd. In my last game I conquered one backwater city with 1 population from the Persia Empire, which still had 4 major cities left. But Darius came over and tried to negotiate a peace treaty with me by offering all his gold, luxury and strategic resource. It was a superb deal and I didn't want a sustained war so I accepted.

After the peace treaty I invaded him again, he ended up with nothing but one city left. I was feeling nice so I offered him a peace treaty instead, and he threw it in my face.

If Firaxis is trying to design an unconventional and unpredictable AI they sure did it right. But calling it "clever", "intelligent" and "human-like" is utterly laughable.

Top Bottom