I think it's time to do some hard-core development.

darkedone02

The Suggestor
I've been playing Civilization 4 almost every single day. I've always encounter lag problems and sometimes the "ALT-Tab game refresher" of mine won't be of much used later in the game. Dispite my computer problems that I've been having with Civ 4, It's time for me to address some issues with this game.

I like how civilization 4 is going so far, this game is extremely mod-able, and we got some good mods, and some bad mods. I see team-work have been going great, however on their minds attention is becoming more "I want it my way, not your way." approached. I am an idealist, I often develop some different concepts and see if anyone is willing to try to get this to work. I don't know how well is the Civ 4 mod-ability is easy to learn and easy to apply, and also don't know the limit of modding. So I don't have any modding experiences, knowledge of how to mod, nor the will to continue to mod. So you can say I have a dreamers mind, not a maker's mind.

I have played some of the most of the mods, Fall of Heaven 2, Warhammer Mod, Total War Mod, Total Realism Mod, Rise of Mankind, Ryne's of Civilization, etc. I have played these mods and like how well they developed. However I still wish they continue to start making more concepts to place in their game so that they will still be unique and display that their mods have no died yet. I see some of the major mods also started to die off as well, Star Wars mod is one of them. When I play that mod, it looks like a total mess. I see that most of the units has no obsolete tree, with make the whole menu filled with old units and not being replace by new ones. I can see that most of the very late units are displayed at the beginning and not hidden by the right technology that need to be researched before it be used. I also see that there religion movies are too original, you just see a Buddhist statue with just a color line, lining up. I wish they can be more creative so that it be more pleasing.

I don't like playing mods that are falling apart in this game, that includes too many TXT errors, no icon graphics, lots of crashes and bugs, etc. Not only that but the modders won't listen to you and won't fix the bugs right. They don't make enough patches to add anything new and fixes, it makes the game nothing but a waste of space. That's why I play only the games that has a concept, and less problems for the players.

Keal, maker of Fall of Heaven and Fall of Heaven 2, is one of the most famous modders out there. He developed a fantasy concepts that is not from another game, and not from the basic fantasy stories you already heard of a thousands time before. He developed what you called a Gothic Fantasy, Where Erebus has a mixed of good vs evil, and the neutral who took no part but to help themselves. He developed many special races and a background for them. I never expected Insane Clowns and Circus people to develop their own civilization. I never even see any games or mods that has desert elves, I never even expected anyone to see the Necronomicon to be a religion itself then a story that h.p. Lovecraft made. This is what I expected to be unique, to take you from surprise with something new.

I wanted every mod that has a concept and a Goal. Without those two, your mod will be less attractive and will soon wither away with your lack of development and uniqueness. Total War is an example for this, it's concept changes the game-play to something that no other mod did before and they continue to add more in as well, along with the fixes to repair some things to make it feel more playable. they added government loyalty, Criminality, more negatives and positives for other civilization, they added more special resources, their technology unlocks more options, this is sometimes that I like. They are working their ass off to make their games stand out between others, to show that there mod is different then any other mods. This will allow other people to think "well I should try this out if its that nifty". Making people want to spread the word about this mod, in a positive way.

I know for sure that one day, if these modder's work their ass off, it might cause the eye of the developers of Civilization 4, and might think, "I wonder if this guy is ever interested in joining our team". As your hard work finally gave yourself a nice award. Your mod will be in the magazines and not only that but will attract more people on to buy civilization 4 to play your mods and this game.

I wanted most of these major mods to look more unique, however like I said about the limits of modding this game, it seems that most of this mods won't ever get this type of uniqueness that they wanted. So I wish that the developers of Civilization 4, released much more content of the game to the modders so that the modders will look into it and start new projects of development to make their mods look unique, fantastic, and new shorts of game play. I want to see mods have different combat animations then just sitting and shooting or swing their weapons, I want them to act realistically in combat and see a limb fall off. I wanted to see the the land become more larger in each square. I wanted to see these improvement have more animations, that including the roads has people walking on it, trains coming to town to town. There is a lot of things we all wish to see, both graphics and game-play. I new feel for Civilization 4 that we all wanted to enjoy using.

I wanted to say this to inform most of the new modders out there before they think of releasing their mods with something basic with no goal or concept. I also want to inform this to most of the people to give them a heads up of what's I've seen is going on here.

Not being a modder, I can't address the bulk of your concern, but as to the first thing you said, may I suggest playing in Windowed mode? I find the game is MUCH more stable when I need to switch to other tasks. It may take a little getting used to, but the stability improvements are worth it, IMO.

I wish I had the time to develop a mod, however I got a lot of things to do in real-life that will occupy most of my time to do anything really.

Top Bottom