I thought you could play this game without logging into Steam?

I am one of those unlucky people who dfo not have home internet. I use my local library whenever I need internet access . Therefore , I am not able to access Steam at all.That means I cannot even try out the demo. That means I am among the many people who will not be shelling out $50 for Civ V. I will continue to play Civ 4 and spend my $50 with some other company that does NOT use Steam.

So long Firaxis!!!!!!

get an AOL trial >.< (I can't believe I just said that)

My parents live in a rural area. Other than satellite, their only option for internet is dial-up over lousy phone lines. It is a good day when they can connect at 2400 bps; 1200 is more typical. (Their cell phones also do not get reception out at the house.) While they aren't really into games, they are gradually getting shut out of the market completely.

That is not really the market's fault, when you choose to live in a rural area you have to accept any lack of infrastructure out there. Though yeah internet is becoming incredibly important for many things now, much more so than a decade ago.

My parents live in a rural area. Other than satellite, their only option for internet is dial-up over lousy phone lines. It is a good day when they can connect at 2400 bps; 1200 is more typical. (Their cell phones also do not get reception out at the house.) While they aren't really into games, they are gradually getting shut out of the market completely.

Wow, that's the boonies

Steam is crap, we know, but we can't do anything against it .

Yes, you can. Return the package. I stood nose-to-nose with Future Shop manager till he gave me my money back.

"You know," he says, "All we can do with this now is to junk it."

Whoopee, I agreed. "That's where it belongs," I added.

If they ever decide to give us a version which doesn't require an internet load path, I'll be there with my 50 bucks again. I don't need the aggravation.:nuke:

To all bemoaning Steam, it's human nature to be resistant to change, but steam is not as intrusive as you think it is. It makes updating very easy. And I'm pretty sure you will want to get all the updates since this is a new game and will be patched quite a bit for a while. To those that think it takes up resources, have you even looked in task manager to see it's system footprint? It takes up less resources then some of Window's programs.

Listen, I just want to load and play. I don't think Steam's intrusive. I think it's redundant. Plus, it took me 3 hours just to get to the point where I could load V. Then it gave me a black screen and froze my computer. Sorry, but I don't need to pay 50 bucks for a Beta version of a game. If they need to patch it that much just to get it to work, I can spend my time doing other things. Once it's running smoothly, I'll belly up to the sales counter again...maybe.

To be honest I am buying PC games for two last years (till than there were no original games available where I live).

The last two big buys for me were Empire - Total War and Civ 5 (both connected to Steam). Guess what? Both of them are crashing like crazy. And yes, I have a very strong computer, and yes I have a very strong internet connection. And I did upgraded my drivers.

Btw. Both games are available for download (cracked version) and I am asking my self why the f... did I paid 60 Euro each. The answer is because some people worked to make these games and I honor that. But they did a lousy job, because the :):):):) is not working!!!!!!!!!

Civilization Fan Action: I do not condone piracy nor screwing us, customers over! etc.

It was suppose to be ONE-TIME ONLY activation through steam, but that's just bag of bulls**t, to play the game you need to login through steam and only then you can choose going offline to be able to play the game. That's OUTRAGEOUS. My brother cannot play because his connection (after using bandwidth limit) is so slow he is unable to login on steam, therefore he cannot even play SINGLE PLAYER! Same goes when your computer has no connection anymore, or you switched off steam -> bye bye Civ5 game. I can understand one-time activation but this is total crap.

Now Take-Two/Firaxis: I demand solution for the problem or you leave us no choice but to pirate game to be able to play it!

YES, because of YOU and only YOU, TAKE-TWO/FIRAXIS - we have to become pirates to play the game. That's wrong, but I love the game and you leave us no choice at the moment!

To be honest I am buying PC games for two last years (till than there were no original games available where I live).

The last two big buys for me were Empire - Total War and Civ 5 (both connected to Steam). Guess what? Both of them are crashing like crazy. And yes, I have a very strong computer, and yes I have a very strong internet connection. And I did upgraded my drivers.

Btw. Both games are available for download (cracked version) and I am asking my self why the f... did I paid 60 Euro each. The answer is because some people worked to make these games and I honor that. But they did a lousy job, because the :):):):) is not working!!!!!!!!!
Empire: Total War was actually incomplete upon release (people are exaggerating the buggyness and "incompleteness" of Civ5, it really wasn't/isn't that bad compared to MANY other games). Steam isn't (or well, it shouldn't) be causing the crashes. More than likely it is the game and/or a conflict between your computer setup and the game.

Civilization Fan Action: I do not condone piracy nor screwing us, customers over! etc.

It was suppose to be ONE-TIME ONLY activation through steam, but that's just bag of bulls**t, to play the game you need to login through steam and only then you can choose going offline to be able to play the game. That's OUTRAGEOUS. My brother cannot play because his connection (after using bandwidth limit) is so slow he is unable to login on steam, therefore he cannot even play SINGLE PLAYER! Same goes when your computer has no connection anymore, or you switched off steam -> bye bye Civ5 game. I can understand one-time activation but this is total crap.
The one-time activation was for requiring an internet connection and there is an available offline mode. You do NOT have to be on the internet to use Steam (just make sure you set it to remember your account details afaik).

Now Take-Two/Firaxis: I demand solution for the problem or you leave us no choice but to pirate game to be able to play it!
Alternatively you could have actually read the Steam FAQ or, you know, checked the settings/options for Steam and found the offline mode.

You may also like to know how to turn off the notifications:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=9727272&postcount=43

Listen, I just want to load and play. I don't think Steam's intrusive. I think it's redundant. Plus, it took me 3 hours just to get to the point where I could load V. Then it gave me a black screen and froze my computer. Sorry, but I don't need to pay 50 bucks for a Beta version of a game. If they need to patch it that much just to get it to work, I can spend my time doing other things. Once it's running smoothly, I'll belly up to the sales counter again...maybe.

I'm sure you'll be delighted to know that you still own the game. Its attached permanently to your Steam account which is why the guy said all he could do with it was junk it. He can't resell it and I doubt theres a mechanism for him to tell Steam to remove it from your account.

So, you got your money and still got the game and all you had to do was be nasty to a shopkeeper. Great job.

I'm sure you'll be delighted to know that you still own the game. Its attached permanently to your Steam account which is why the guy said all he could do with it was junk it. He can't resell it and I doubt theres a mechanism for him to tell Steam to remove it from your account.

So, you got your money and still got the game and all you had to do was be nasty to a shopkeeper. Great job.

Not my problem, bud. If there's no mechanism for returning a game or system that doesn't work that's also part of the design flaw. I'll let the retailer, developer and Steam sort that out for themselves. As for my using the game again, not as long as I have to go through Steam. Life's too short.:crazyeye:

Not my problem, bud. If there's no mechanism for returning a game or system that doesn't work that's also part of the design flaw. I'll let the retailer, developer and Steam sort that out for themselves. As for my using the game again, not as long as I have to go through Steam. Life's too short.:crazyeye:
Civ V has some issues that will be patched away, Civ V is much more modern than Civ IV (which came on CDs BTW)
How is Steam stressing you out? I've only seen it for maybe five minutes in dozens of hours playing

What do you call a person who takes stuff without paying for it though?

You should be glad theres no way for staff serving games to spit in them next time you come in to place an order!

There have been rumours (might be confirmed, don't recall exactly) circulating that VALVe is hinting that they are working on a system for turning in games on Steam for instore credit. Though that does require you to use the credit for other games on Steam, but still :)

Not even gonna read through another steam bash thread. Look people you can tell steam to go into OFF LINE MODE as long as you can get on the internet ONCE to tell it so. I use it ALL the time when i travel.

If you can't even get on the internet though that's a whole nother issue, you might wanna join last century and get some dial up, and then upgrade to cable and join this one...

That too J!
Not even gonna read through another steam bash thread. Look people you can tell steam to go into OFF LINE MODE as long as you can get on the internet ONCE to tell it so. I use it ALL the time when i travel.

If you can't even get on the internet though that's a whole nother issue, you might wanna join last century and get some dial up, and then upgrade to cable and join this one...

Considering they can post on this site I don't think internet access is the problem.
In many places in the US dial-up is free.

It's the fact that third party software is installed on their computer in order to play the game that they rage however irrational it many be considering to read the manual you must have a third party piece of software (Adobe Reader isn't naturally bundled) and it has been this way basically as long as games have had electronic manuals!

I don't mind steam. In fact, it has a major benefit for me. My discs tend to get destroyed/disappear (kids <.<). I can re-download the game anytime I want, on my desktop or laptop or one of my other computers. That is a huge convenience for me.

I have cable internet. I am connected nearly all the time. Sure, there may be an hour outage once every few months, but not being able to log into steam for an hour once every 90 days does not render Civ 5 useless to me... Typing in a user name and log is hardly an inconvenience. And, from a business perspective, I understand why software companies are doing this (though, I do not conceptually agree with software being sold under a license instead of just being sold flat out but that's really an issue beyond this scope).

As to privacy issues, don't have a public steam profile...I suppose they still have the details of how much you play so if a spouse is ever suing for custody of your kids, then that info would be fair game for discovery in a lawsuit. Then again, if you are playing games so much that your spouse is leaving you and wanting to take your kids away, then I see no problem with that info being made discoverable in a lawsuit...

My ONLY concern about steam is what happens if they file bankruptcy, sell, or otherwise go under some day. There might not be someone who wants to buy it and run it (and why a buyer take on obligations they don't need to - most asset purchases are without the liability). Anyhow, no, I don't know of any real risk of this, but, it's always a possibility for any company.

Edit -- I did have one other issue with steam -- the lack of ability to control where it downloads games. But, a friend of mine showed me a workaround so that they can install to a secondary drive. But, really, steam users should be able to easily control that.

Top Bottom