Ice Shelf Disintegration Threatens Environment, Queen's Study

Stapel, warm molecules vibrate more, creating more space between them, thus increased volume.

@ Stapel:

The volume can not only increase by melted water but also by a change in density which depends on salt content and temperature. Additionally you have to include currents and hydrology into the simulation. The dynamic pressure from currents also contribute to the sea level as a specific location, for instance when they hit a coast (stronger currents - relative increase in local sea level).

For primary publications you will probably have to go to a university library. From there you should have access to on-line journals. www.sciencedirect.com or www.wiley.com are two publishers who have search masks for their journals.

Dudes, Thanks!

But a simple answer in metres would be helpful though ;) .

Padma said:
10,000 to 20,000 years? Okay, I can accept that as being since the last true Ice Age. ;) The "current" warming trend is only about 600 - 800 years old though (remember the "little ice age", circa 1200AD?). :p

nope - it surprised me, too, but man-maqde global warming is about 10,000 years old - it started when agriculture spread wide.

I can find you the PDF of the paper that proves it, if you want to.

Listen up...

We are using up lumber faster than forrests grow.
We are using up other resources faster than they can be replenished.
This planet will continue to be polluted and our society will eventually collapse. That is the inevitable fact.

I find it amazing, and discouraging, that the Victorians measured global warming. They noticed that glaciers were melting (and the ones they observed have now evaporated) but did not realise the cause.

John HSOG said:
Listen up...

We are using up lumber faster than forrests grow.
We are using up other resources faster than they can be replenished.
This planet will continue to be polluted and our society will eventually collapse. That is the inevitable fact.
If that makes it alright to accelerate demise, why not cut your own head off?

anarres said:
Either you didn't read/understand the links or you are willfully ignorant. Take your pick...

After reading tapers post I *had* to read all the articles and they do not support the "nothing to see here" argument at all. I wonder if taper bothered to read them himself? :hmm:

Come on basket - just because Bush say's it's so, doesn't mean global warming is a lie made up by "liberals". ;)
See what I have to put up with??? "Either say global warming is a threat to the planet, or you're a radical conservative naysayer." I get this all the time.

Bullpuckies. I'm in the middle. "On the fence" is not accurate, because that implies there are only two permissible positions on this issue. There are more than two. I hold the "undecided" position: I don't believe Bush, and I don't believe YOU either.

Stapel said:
Allow me to do some math:
Total earth surface: 509.950.700 km²
Of which is 71% water: 362.064.997 km²
Antarctica has a surface of 63.000 km²

If we want a sealevel rise of 1 meter, we need 5747,1 meters of ice on Antartica......

Where the hell do I go wrong with my math?
I did this research in 5 minutes, yet some (left-wing) scientists come up with stories of meterS of sealevel rise........

This ignores the fact that the same that cause the ice to melt will also cause the water in the sea to expand. Plus a sea level rise of any more than a centimeter could be disasterous for many locations on earth (eg Bangledesh).

A few other things:

Antartica has a surface area of 13,200,000 km²

Meaning Antartica would need a mean ice depth of 27 meters, assuming your math was correct.

Antartican ice is on average 2500m thick.

This would imply sea levels could rise a kilometer. :confused:

This is probably wrong, however scenarios involving meters of sea level rises are not just a myth

BasketCase said:
See what I have to put up with??? "Either say global warming is a threat to the planet, or you're a radical conservative naysayer." I get this all the time.

Bullpuckies. I'm in the middle. "On the fence" is not accurate, because that implies there are only two permissible positions on this issue. There are more than two. I hold the "undecided" position: I don't believe Bush, and I don't believe YOU either.
You could have fooled me you were neutral. :lol:

Seriously, if you are undecided, why post something that clearly says this is a fuss over nothing:
BasketCase said:
Either that, or one guy is smoking and a bunch of people are pointing to the little curl of smoke in that corner of the room and going "ACK! He's suffocating us all!!!" :rolleyes:

To outline some of my understandings:

1. Global mean atmospheric temperature is between 1.5 -2 degrees celcius higher than circa 1900. The rate of change is rapidly increasing - with most taking place 1970+. These measurements are taken from global university records.

2. Global mean oceanic temperature is between 1 and 1.5 degrees celcius - sources mostly national oceanographic institutions 1970+. The issue of ocean temperature change is far bigger than atmospheric, as it acts as a heatsink, it is more indicative of a global temperature problem.

3. The rate of change is very much in extreme of natural increase/decreases historically/geologically recorded. From an ecological as opposed to humanist perspective, this tends to place degrees of stress of life-forms in excess of their ability to adapt.

4. Hazy on terms, but understanding that 3-4 of the atlantic 'elevators' only remain of about 13 - and these vital to the existing ecological system. Experts all seem to agree that if these halt entirely we cannot predict exactly the results, but that they will be 'uncomfortable'.

5. Simple logic and understands of chemistry and ecology.

The quantity of pollutants being ejected into the biosphere is massive - it will have an affect, and that likely uncomfortable.

6. Tax the parasites to pay for the solutions :goodjob:

Above, rough, have to go out.

Top Bottom