Ideas borrowed from Paradox Games?

jye42

Chieftain
to me it seems obvious that they have taken some ideas from paradox, this is good paradox games are great.

Casus Belli in the renaissance and lenses which are basically map modes from pdx.

Does anyone else recognise these features? are there others I missed?

There's also the occupation of cities during war, which you can later keep or return during peace negotiations.

I'm really happy they took a few ideas from Paradox games, I think it'll lead to very interesting diplomacy. :)

As EU4 and Stellaris playe I'd say Paradox also took some ideas from either Firaxis or 4X genre in general so...

It's like how Uncharted used to be a Tomb Raider clone.

Firaxis saw ideas that were being implemented that people found useful. So it made its own system that utilized those ideas.

I'm sure they have borrowed a few things from Paradox and that's a good thing.

If only Paradox would borrow the idea of having a game run from 4000 BC to 2000 AD. :D

If only Paradox would borrow the idea of having a game run from 4000 BC to 2000 AD. :D

It seems like they've gotten close they just break into different games lol

But to be fair, Civ is a staple of 4X games and so inherently other franchises have paid homage in other ways. Plus, if you're within the same genre it's always good to take good innovations, if a FPS has auto focus, why not take it?

I somehow missed this ... where was this confirmed, if you remember?

When you capture cities, they aren't your 100%, you control them but they yield a much lower turnout of yields, and you have an option to return them to their original owner which will reduce your warmonger penalty.

Victoria is in Civ6, Paradox must be aware of this, Victoria III Confirmed!!!!!!!!

Jokes aside, it's no wonder strategy games developers look at each other's game and feed of each others creativity. In the case of Civ6, the game badly needed at least a simple casus belli system (which is all over Paradox games)

When you capture cities, they aren't your 100%, you control them but they yield a much lower turnout of yields, and you have an option to return them to their original owner which will reduce your warmonger penalty.

Are you talking about puppeting, or is this an entirely new civ VI mechanic? If it's a new mechanic, I really like it, it sounds great!

I've never really gotten in to Paradox games, but if the designers are taking ideas from them, then awesome! I'm sure there are elements to both games that can make the other set of games better.

Jokes aside, it's no wonder strategy games developers look at each other's game and feed of each others creativity. In the case of Civ6, the game badly needed at least a simple casus belli system (which is all over Paradox games)

Agreed. I've wanted a casus belli system in Civ since before I'd heard of Paradox. Whether Firaxis borrowed that and the "occupy city and then negotiate its ownership in the peace talks" directly from Paradox, or just looked at the way war has worked historically and decided to add these features, I'm all for them.

The lenses . . . yeah, those are probably PDX's map modes. I'm okay with that, too. While I wouldn't want any of these games to become interchangeable with each other, I think it's not a bad thing for them to borrow elements that do actually work for their game. (Now they just need to put in Events & Decisions. :mischief: )

Are you talking about puppeting, or is this an entirely new civ VI mechanic? If it's a new mechanic, I really like it, it sounds great!

I've never really gotten in to Paradox games, but if the designers are taking ideas from them, then awesome! I'm sure there are elements to both games that can make the other set of games better.

Occupying is replacing puppeting/ annexing

Basically if you take a city during war you get a choice

Raze or Occupy

if you Occupy you get a city with a yield penalty

once you make peace, for all those occupied cities you have you can
Keep (for additional warmonger penalty) or
Return (to remove the warmonger penalty from taking the city)

Wow, if they could mimic the way EU or HOI do supply lines and unit stacks, CivVI would be so much better.

If that happens, good bye Firaxis! :D

Naw. Unlike, Highlander, there can be more than one. :D

The competition would be a good one and the consumer would win.

I think combat is done much better in EU4 - stacks but then a separate screen for battle deployment and battles decided on relative strength and dice rolls. This allows the AI to compete effectively, unlike 1upt, and can be very exciting with the outcome often uncertain until the last moment.

+1 for evolution in the genre! :) Both publishers have some fantastic ideas.

Related topic, I hope to see influence from Endless Legend, some pretty awesome ideas there... Map is pre-sliced up into territories (only one city can be settled per territory, nicely balances ICS and makes placement ridiculously important), negotiations/quests with "barbarians," terrain elevation in tactical battles, elegant solution to stack of dooms (max stack size increases with tech), etc...

Top Bottom