Ideas for a new game

Rcon

Chieftain
Hi everyone,

I'm looking to start a new game and wanted to get some input from this lovely community! I just finished a OCC and it made me realize how nice it was to not have 100+ units to move around in wars (a topic I've seen discussed here as well). My plan for next game therefore is a domination game but with lower supply. I don't care too much about min/maxing or playing optimal so I could arbitrarily decide to not exceed a certain supply, but it would feel better if the constraint game from the game settings as well. I also like to add some roleplay-moment to my games and what I have in mind is a "super-soldier run", aiming for fewer but highly promoted units, with the added requirement that I must always go for the city state quest for city conquest when it is available. The last bit will of course mean increased difficulty as I will be declaring some rather tough and probably stupid wars. The hardest part of the set up might be deciding what difficulty to use to account for this. I generally play on immortal and almost always win if I get through the first 2-3 eras without any disasters. However I only ever get one game in every other patch or so and it feels like the current state of the mod is quite challenging with barbs + good AI and higher costs for late game tech.

With that in mind I'm looking for any general input on settings, maps, modmods, ideas for how to execute the early game et cetera. I also have some particular questions:

- Which civ do you think would be best suited for this run? I'm thinking Zulus or Sweden is best for the exp-hoarding. However Songhai is probably strongest overall and can get going with conquests earlier (especially in the current barb-meta where they will rack up insane amounts of early gold from camps and have the mobility to go after a lot more barbs in general).

- I'm going to add 3 and 4 UC for this run and maybe some more mods. Im especially eyeing Balparmak's reduced supply and/or his Late game supply reduction. Any input on these and especially if/how they inpact difficulty and if they work well together? I think I would like a late game cap to be around 40-50 supply for a warlike civ.

- With low supply cap comes a problem of keeping both army and navy. I'm looking at Enhanced Naval Warfare to make the few boats I will have stronger in the late game. Also considering Enhanced Air Warfare as planes will have to make up for some of the lack in supply. Anyone playing with either of these two on the current version of VP who can comment on how they effect gameplay?

I would appriciate any input on this!

Do you want to have naval warfare? Because you could play on Great Plains to focus just on ground.

Thanks for the suggestion but I do want naval. It is kind of fun to play world police with carrier-groups liberating city states on the other side of the map and the like. Also I think getting around to the different conquest targets will be awkward on any pangea-style map? Don’t really know how the CS quests “picks” targets but sometimes it seems to be quite far away.

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to start a new game and wanted to get some input from this lovely community! I just finished a OCC and it made me realize how nice it was to not have 100+ units to move around in wars (a topic I've seen discussed here as well). My plan for next game therefore is a domination game but with lower supply. I don't care too much about min/maxing or playing optimal so I could arbitrarily decide to not exceed a certain supply, but it would feel better if the constraint game from the game settings as well. I also like to add some roleplay-moment to my games and what I have in mind is a "super-soldier run", aiming for fewer but highly promoted units, with the added requirement that I must always go for the city state quest for city conquest when it is available. The last bit will of course mean increased difficulty as I will be declaring some rather tough and probably stupid wars. The hardest part of the set up might be deciding what difficulty to use to account for this. I generally play on immortal and almost always win if I get through the first 2-3 eras without any disasters. However I only ever get one game in every other patch or so and it feels like the current state of the mod is quite challenging with barbs + good AI and higher costs for late game tech.

With that in mind I'm looking for any general input on settings, maps, modmods, ideas for how to execute the early game et cetera. I also have some particular questions:

- Which civ do you think would be best suited for this run? I'm thinking Zulus or Sweden is best for the exp-hoarding. However Songhai is probably strongest overall and can get going with conquests earlier (especially in the current barb-meta where they will rack up insane amounts of early gold from camps and have the mobility to go after a lot more barbs in general).

- I'm going to add 3 and 4 UC for this run and maybe some more mods. Im especially eyeing Balparmak's reduced supply and/or his Late game supply reduction. Any input on these and especially if/how they inpact difficulty and if they work well together? I think I would like a late game cap to be around 40-50 supply for a warlike civ.

- With low supply cap comes a problem of keeping both army and navy. I'm looking at Enhanced Naval Warfare to make the few boats I will have stronger in the late game. Also considering Enhanced Air Warfare as planes will have to make up for some of the lack in supply. Anyone playing with either of these two on the current version of VP who can comment on how they effect gameplay?

I would appriciate any input on this!
Hey, out of curiosity what is OCC?

Balparmak's reduced military supply mod is great! I definitely recommend it. The only issue is that barbarians can get somewhat out of hand, so I personally turn them down a bit by making them spawn once every 4 turns as opposed to once every 2.

So I've recently found (or taken) more time to play and decided to do a little test run of this concept and answer some of my own questions.

Overall the game is interesting and quite different from my usual playthroughs. Since I've been in constant wars ever since ancient era, often with most of my neighbours at the same time, I failed to found a religion. Unfortunately I also had no really easy one to conquer early and this is the first time in years of playing that I'm sticking with a run without my own religion. I've done a few city conquest quests for CS as I planned to do. One problem however is that the city states I found early often got dragged into war with me and I lost the quest before being able to complete it. I have managed to finish about 1 quest per era only so far and most of them have been quite low on the exp-reward. I might have to go into statecraft to get the + 50 % reward policy and to make it easier to keep a few allies of my own.

I went with Zulus as their UA really felt most suited for my aim of super-soldiers and it was certainly the right call. I don't think that I've lost a melee unit all game yet. . One additional question if someone is an experienced Zulu-player. What promos do you go for after the unique ones? I've had + 1 movement and Stalwart high on my list. The fact that you can get them to 4 movement quite early is great for keeping them alive but I'm not sure if that is optimal. I have a few guys at level 7-9 now and I'm hoping to keep them alive all game. Maybe drill into double cover?

Regarding the reduced supply mod barbarians are not a problem but a necessary source of early yields in this case. In fact I think Zulus might be a bit OP in the reduced supply mod due to their UB granting 2 supply. I probably have more units than the AI (at immortal) and I had to restrain myself from making more units to stay true to the super-soldier concept. Currently sitting at around 30 units in renaissance and I'm far from my supply limit. However I really like alot of aspects of the mod and wrote some more comments on it in its own thread.

As I'm only in renaissance (and actually have yet to build a single ship) I can't comment on ENW.

The endgame promos that gets available early on for zulu melee are the superior choice.
Stalwarth, Cityassault, March, Overrun, Blitz.
What order ... hrm not sure, I like stalwarth and march first but other choices could be better.
+Movement is nice, but if you get stuck (at high diff) you need to wait for siege/range anyway.

Top Bottom