Ideas for C2C (Part 2)

Nitroglycerin
Enables:
Goldfield (Building)

Goldfield (Building)
Spoiler :

Text: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_gold_rushes
Spoiler :
During the Australian gold rushes, significant numbers of workers (both from other areas within Australia and from overseas) relocated to areas in which gold had been discovered. A number of gold finds occurred in Australia prior to 1851, but only the gold found from 1851 onwards created gold rushes. This is mainly because, prior to 1851, the colonial government of New South Wales (Victoria did not become a separate colony until 1 July 1851, and Tasmania did not become a separate colony until 1856) had suppressed news of gold finds which it believed would reduce the workforce and destabilise the economy. The first gold rush in Australia began in May 1851 after prospector Edward Hargraves claimed to have discovered payable gold near Orange, at a site he called Ophir. Hargraves had been to the Californian goldfields and had learned new gold prospecting techniques such as panning and cradling. Hargraves was offered rewards by the Colony of New South Wales and the Colony of Victoria. Before the end of the year, the gold rush had spread to many other parts of the state where gold had been found, not just to the west, but also to the south and north of Sydney.

+10 :gold:, +5 :hammers:
+2 Crime / Turn
Requires Culture (Oceanian)
Requires Gold Mine
900 :hammers:

Sanitation
Enables
: Puquios (Building)

Puquios (Building)
Spoiler :

Text: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puquios
Spoiler :
The Puquios are an old system of subterranean aqueducts near the city of Nazca, Peru. Out of 36 Puquios, most are still functioning and relied upon to bring fresh water into the arid desert. The Puquios have never been fully mapped, nor have any been excavated. There is conflicting research regarding when the aqueducts were actually built. Some archaeologists contend that they were built by Pre-Columbian Nazca architects around A.D. 540 in response to two prolonged droughts during that time, others doubt that.

+2 :health:
-3.00 :gold: for building maintenance
Provides Fresh Water
-5 Disease / Turn
Requires Culture (South American)
Requires City Size of at least 6
220 :hammers:

Mercantilism
Enables
: Kente Cloth Workshop (Building)

Kente Cloth Workshop (Building)
Spoiler :

Text: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kente_cloth
Spoiler :

Kente cloth, known as nwentom in Akan, is a type of silk and cotton fabric made of interwoven cloth strips and is native to the Akan ethnic group of South Ghana.
Kente cloth has its origin in the Ashanti kingdom, and was adopted by people in Ivory Coast and many other West African countries. It is an Akan royal and sacred cloth worn only in times of extreme importance and was the cloth of kings. Over time, the use of kente became more widespread. However, its importance has remained and it is held in high esteem with Akans.
Kente is made in Akan lands such as Ashanti Kingdom, (Bonwire, Adanwomase, Sakora Wonoo, Ntonso in the Kwabre areas of the Ashanti Region) and among Akans. Kente is also produced by Akans in Ivory Coast. Lastly, Kente is worn by many other groups who have been influenced by Akans. It is the best known of all African textiles. Kente comes from the word kenten, which means basket in Akan dialect Asante. Akans refer to kente as nwentoma, meaning woven cloth.
The icon of African cultural heritage around the world, Akan kente is identified by its dazzling, multicolored patterns of bright colors, geometric shapes, and bold designs. Kente characterized by weft designs woven into every available block of plain weave is called adweneasa. The Akan people choose kente cloths as much for their names as their colors and patterns. Although the cloths are identified primarily by the patterns found in the lengthwise (warp) threads, there is often little correlation between appearance and name. Names are derived from several sources, including proverbs, historical events, important chiefs, queen mothers, and plants.

+3 :culture:, +3 :gold:
+5% :gold: with Cotton
+2 :c5happy: from Silk
Requires Culture (African)
Requires City Size of at least 6
Requires Cloth
Requires Dye
500 :hammers:

Law Enforcement
Enables:
Satrap's Court (Building)

Satrap's Court (Building)
Spoiler :

Text: http://www.civilopedia.info/civilopedia/BUILDING_SATRAPS_COURT.aspx
Spoiler :

A "satrap" is the title of a provisional governor in the Achaemenian Empire of Persia. The satraps were appointed by the king, and were usually members of the royal family. A powerful figure, the satrap collected taxes and was the supreme judicial figure in the province. He was responsible for raising and maintaining an army, and therefore had to be highly trusted by the monarch. As the central power of the Persian empire weakened during the 5th century BC, the Satraps grew more independent, and some were in fact more powerful than the king they allegedly answered to.
Alexander maintained the satrapal administration after he conquered Persia, sometimes replacing the Satraps with his generals and sometimes retaining the existing governors if they maintained the peace and kept paying their taxes.

+3 :espionage:
-10.00 :gold: for building maintenance
-15% Maintenance
-10 Crime / Turn
Requires Culture (Middle Eastern)
Requires Courthouse
320 :hammers:

Acoustics
Enables:
Ceilidh Hall (Building)

Ceilidh Hall (Building)
Spoiler :

Text: http://www.civilopedia.info/civilopedia/BUILDING_CEILIDH_HALL.aspx
Spoiler :
Traditionally, a "Ceilidh" was a social gathering first associated with the early people of Ireland and Scotland. Held frequently throughout the year, ceilidhs were often accompanied by music and dance, and provided an important social diversion from the labors of everyday life. Ceilidhs were held in halls when available, but were also known to have taken place in private homes, schools, and local businesses.

+2 :c5happy:, +3 :culture:
Requires Culture (European)
Requires Dance Hall
700 :hammers:

Physics
Enables:
Dzong (Building)

Dzong (Building)
Spoiler :

Text: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dzong_architecture
Spoiler :
Dzong architecture is a distinctive type of fortress architecture found mainly in Bhutan and the former Tibet. The architecture is massive in style with towering exterior walls surrounding a complex of courtyards, temples, administrative offices, and monks' accommodation. Bhutanese dzong architecture reached its zenith in the 17th century under the leadership of Ngawang Namgyal, the 1st Zhabdrung Rinpoche. The Zhabdrung relied on visions and omens to site each of the dzongs. Modern military strategists would observe that the dzongs are well-sited with regard to their function as defensive fortresses. Wangdue Phodrang dzong, for instance, is set upon a spur overlooking the confluence of the Sankosh (Puna Tsang) and Tang Rivers, thus blocking any attacks by southern invaders who attempted to use a river route to bypass the trackless slopes of the middle Himalayas in attacking central Bhutan. Drukgyel Dzong at the head of the Paro valley guards the traditional Tibetan invasion path over the passes of the high Himalayas.

+3 :culture:, +1 :espionage:
-25% :c5angry: War
+4 :c5happy: with Theocracy
30% Defense (Except vs. Units with high explosives)
-10% Damage to Defenses from Bombardment (Except vs. Units with high explosives)
-5 Crime / Turn
Requires Culture (Asian)
Requires City Size of at least 13
Requires Peak or Hill In City Vicinity
Requires Cement
550 :hammers:

Road Building
Enables:
Inuksuk (Building)

Inuksuk (Building)
Spoiler :

Text: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuksuk
Spoiler :

An inuksuk (plural inuksuit) is a human-made stone landmark or cairn used by the Inuit, Inupiat, Kalaallit, Yupik, and other peoples of the Arctic region of North America. These structures are found from Alaska to Greenland. This region, above the Arctic Circle, is dominated by the tundra biome and has areas with few natural landmarks.
The inuksuk may have been used for navigation, as a point of reference, a marker for travel routes, fishing places, camps, hunting grounds, places of veneration, drift fences used in hunting or to mark a food cache. The Inupiat in northern Alaska used inuksuit to assist in the herding of caribou into contained areas for slaughter. Varying in shape and size, the inuksuit have ancient roots in Inuit culture.

+1 :c5happy:, +1 :culture:, +1 :food:, +1 :hammers:, +2 :gp: (Great Hunter)
Requires Culture (North American)
Requires Tundra or Ice In City Vicinity
100 :hammers:

Navigation
Enables:
Pa (Building)

Pa (Building)
Spoiler :

Text: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pā
Spoiler :

The word pā can refer to any Māori village or defensive settlement, but often refers to hill forts – fortified settlements with palisades and defensive terraces – and also to fortified villages. Pā are mainly in the North Island of New Zealand, north of Lake Taupo. Over 5000 sites have been located, photographed and examined although few have been subject to detailed analysis. No pā have been yet located from the early colonization period when early Polynesian-Māori colonizers lived in the lower South Island. Variations similar to pā are found throughout central Polynesia, in the islands of Fiji, Tonga and the Marquesas Islands.
In Māori culture, a great pā represented the mana (prestige or power) and strategic ability of an iwi (tribe or tribal confederacy), as personified by a rangatira (chieftain). Pā are located in various defensible locations around the territory (rohe) of an iwi to protect fertile plantation sites and food supplies.

+4 :food:
Adjacent Enemy Units will receive 20% damage per turn
20% Defense (Except vs. Units with high explosives)
-10% Damage to Defenses from Bombardment (Except vs. Units with high explosives)
-5 Crime / Turn
Requires Culture (Oceanian)
Requires City Size of at least 13
Requires Hill In City Vicinity
440 :hammers:

Mathematics
Enables:
Quipu School (Building)

Quipu School (Building)
Spoiler :

Text: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quipu
Spoiler :
Quipus, sometimes known as khipus or talking knots, were recording devices historically used in a number of cultures and particularly in the region of Andean South America. Similar systems were used by the ancient Chinese and native Hawaiians, though this article specifically deals with the most familiar Inca system, and knotted string records are often generically referred to in English as quipus after the Inca term. A quipu usually consisted of colored, spun, and plied thread or strings made from cotton or camelid fiber. For the Inca, the system aided in collecting data and keeping records, ranging from monitoring tax obligations, properly collecting census records, calendrical information, and military organization. The cords contained numeric and other values encoded by knots in a base ten positional system. A quipu could have only a few or up to 2,000 cords. The configuration of the quipus have also been "compared to string mops. "Archaeological evidence has also shown a use of finely carved wood as a supplemental, and perhaps more sturdy, base on which the color-coordinated cords would be attached. A relatively small number have survived.

+2 :science:, +2 :gold:
+1 Free Merchant
-10% Maintenance
Requires Culture (South American)
Requires Mathematics Academy
Requires Rope
Requires Dye
100 :hammers:

Irrigation
Enables:
Nilometer (Building)

Nilometer (Building)
Spoiler :

Text: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nilometer
Spoiler :

A nilometer was a structure for measuring the Nile River's clarity and water level during the annual flood season. It was a step-like structure that measured how high the flood would be. If it was low, there would be famine. If it was too high, it would be destructive. There was a specific mark that indicated how high the flood should be if the fields were to get good soil.
Between July and November, the reaches of the Nile running through Egypt would burst their banks and cover the adjacent flood plain. When the waters receded, around September or October, they left behind a rich alluvial deposit of exceptionally fertile black silt over the croplands. The akhet, or Season of the Inundation, was one of the three seasons into which the Ancient Egyptians divided their years.
It would be difficult to overstate the importance of the annual flood to Egyptian civilization. A moderate inundation was a vital part of the agricultural cycle; however, a lighter inundation than normal would cause famine, and too much flood water would be equally disastrous, washing away much of the infrastructure built on the flood plain. Records from Pharaonic times indicate that on average, one year out of every five saw an inundation that was either over-abundant or fell short of expectations.

-1.50 :gold: for building maintenance
+1 :science:
River Tiles: +1 :food:
Requires Culture (African)
Requires River Access
150 :hammers:

A bit flavor is a good thing, but every proposal since Ribat (https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/ideas-for-c2c-part-2.607951/#post-14611097) requires a culture? I think some buildings should be generic, if only to have slightly less buildings in the mod. And if you manage to get several culture groups, not only can you get more national cultures (with unique units and heroes), but you can also get all of the flavor buildings. That might increase runaway effects.

If you are going to give a building to a Culture you must also suggest what it looses to keep balance.

On the Ribat, I think this would be better as a Military Doctrine, a great wonder that can only be built by any Great General, which allows a new type of fortification a Ribat that can be built by workers in the nation. When built it is automatically garrisoned by a defense unit that can't move. The new fort (Ribat) can only be built in your own territory and does not expand your territory. Possibly it can only be destroyed not captured.

Do you mean that the building must be constructed by great person?
No. He means that a hero or a unique unit or another element given by that culture should be removed as all cultures currently have the same amount of bonus elements, even if those bonus elements are not all the same types of things. Thus if you give a unique building, maybe we should take out the unique unit, or a unique promotion if there is one, or a hero. We're interested in diversifying the benefits of cultures but we want to keep them balanced by their counts of unique benefits.

No. He means that a hero or a unique unit or another element given by that culture should be removed as all cultures currently have the same amount of bonus elements, even if those bonus elements are not all the same types of things. Thus if you give a unique building, maybe we should take out the unique unit, or a unique promotion if there is one, or a hero. We're interested in diversifying the benefits of cultures but we want to keep them balanced by their counts of unique benefits.
Ok, but I made the building for each culture.

Ok, but I made the building for each culture.
If you're suggesting a building for every culture we have then that's another matter. Wow that would be a lot of work. You really should learn the xml to implement this stuff... it's NOT that hard to do! Even the graphic buttons are pretty easy. And those are the only two steps to adding a building really.

A second on Tbrd's XML comment. My space colonization project was my first attempt to do any modding. I learned by digging around through the C2C directory and experimenting with changing properties on existing content, and then adding new content by copying the file structure in other folders, such as the Alt History folders, which are good templates to use. When I had trouble, I asked questions on the forum here and always got useful responses. Brackenspore, you have a lot of good ideas that I want to see implemented, but I am too busy with my own projects to pay much attention, so I would love to see you post a modmod with these building sets.

A second on Tbrd's XML comment. My space colonization project was my first attempt to do any modding. I learned by digging around through the C2C directory and experimenting with changing properties on existing content, and then adding new content by copying the file structure in other folders, such as the Alt History folders, which are good templates to use. When I had trouble, I asked questions on the forum here and always got useful responses. Brackenspore, you have a lot of good ideas that I want to see implemented, but I am too busy with my own projects to pay much attention, so I would love to see you post a modmod with these building sets.
Exactly. You suggest enough material to keep a modder working full time. It would only be fair for you to be designing this stuff for a modmod so it could be tested by modmod players and key members of the team for potential inclusion in the mod. That's usually the way folks get their ideas in and eventually get invited to join the team with consent to freely add as they wish so long as they can prove to work with the current team as we are.

If you make a building for all 500+ Cultures then probably OK.

However I see a better use for at least one elsewhere ;)
Hm, 7 Cultures: European, Asian, Middle Easten, Australian, South and North American, African. These buildings looks like as the my Mythological Bestiary buildings (for 7 cultures).

Top Bottom