1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Ideas for New Civ Traits

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by mutax2003, Feb 17, 2006.

1. gettingfat

gettingfat Emperor

My ideas:

Diplomatic: Leaders who are smart in avoiding confrontation (opposite of aggressive) and take advantage of a relationship. +2 rating in diplomacy; 10% bonus in tech trade (exact figures need to be tested to avoid over- or underpowered); results of goodie huts as if one level of difficulty lower.

Adaptive: Leaders who perservere and make the most out of difficult situations. +1 shield in jungle tiles and workable tundra tiles, +1 gold in workable desert tiles. Half cost building hospitals and recycling plant.

2. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

(Images snipped)

LOL! Brilliant!

3. cuchulain

cuchulain Warlord

I'd like to see seafaring back but on certain maps its 100% useless. Maybe if the bonuses applied to certain aircraft and airport commerce bonus or something. Also, England will need to have seafaring as one trait which some people wont like... We fear change.

4. vinstafresh

vinstafresh Prince

I think the adaptive and diplomatic traits are very clever! They could be pretty helpful for certain players. Agressive/Diplomatic.

5. vinstafresh

vinstafresh Prince

Perhaps the diplomatic civ should be able to trade techs right from the start without the need for alphabet. That would be a huge bonus to start with. Diplomatic/Spiritual civs will at least have Judaism and trade all these religions for bronze working, iron working and horseback riding.

6. SenhorDaGuerra

SenhorDaGuerra Prince

I think a diplomatic Civ should get +2 relationships with other civs just as a starter. It would help the non-aggressive players deal more effectively with people like isabella and tokugawa. It could also make other civs more likely to sign open borders and defensive pacts with you. I think making it easier to trade, or trade for lower cost, would be too overpowered.

I think Diplomatic would be quite good. I also think it would suit Gandhi the best.

Seafaring would be a good idea, but if they introduce seafaring then i think they should make the naval aspect of the game more enticing. i find having to build ships is just dull and tedious, and i do mainly to protect my coastal cities if i happen to go to war. +1 movement of ships and +1 line of sight could be quite useful when astronomy is discovered (especially on terra maps). AND it could allow caravels to carry settlers (like the portuguese and spanish caravels did in real life) which would add an interesting dimension to the game.

7. Junichiro

Junichiro Warlord

Of course seafaring/financial in archipelagos would be very very scary civ...

Some others would also make some curious games. I like adaptive and diplomatic is interesting too. Isolationist not being able to get open borders, ever? A bit too limiting for my taste...maybe switch it so that the required attitude needs to be one level higher to get open borders so it would require bit of effort...(and how exactly is it possible to get Tokugawa to be friendly if you cannot open borders with him? Beats me.)

8. Jheronimus

Jheronimus Warlord

I'd like to see a Philosophical / Industrious civ, as I notice there currently isn't one. This way you would have a civ with an exploding great person birthrate.

9. mutax2003

mutax2003 Rider of China, 4-3-3

I support the choice of having diplomatic civ being able to trade tech without alphabete, as well as +2 relationship with all AI civs, 50% less chance of getting barbs from goody hut, think that will make it an interesting civ to play. As for agricultural civ, maybe +1 food on all food resource, grasslands, and floodplains.

10. kingjoshi

kingjoshi King

As mentioned by others in another thread, you have to take into account multiplayer games. Diplomatic civs wouldn't have the advantage relationship ratings or trade (from other humans).

11. DynamicSpirit

DynamicSpirit Fear him of the pink tie Moderator GOTM Staff

One minor problem with +2 on relationships: It's useless against human opponents on multiplayer.

12. Lockesdonkey

Lockesdonkey Liberal Jihadist

Add a diplomatic penalty for attacking another civ without provocation; double it for Diplos.

13. Dark Helmet

Dark Helmet Chieftain

I was thinking about the feasability of a Diplomatic trait but it would be too awkward in a multiplayer game. It would either be worthless, or simply too powerful depending on who's proposed version makes it off the drawing board. On one hand, as said before, receiving a relation+ bonus would be useless against human controlled civs. On the other hand, allowing Diplomatic civs to swap techs before Alphabet would result in a few players playing Diplo civs exclusively and fast-tracking each other up the tech tree in a mutual alliance: thus dominating the competetion..unless the competetion plays diplo civs also and are doing the same. A diplo alliance would be cracking out Theology and Code of Laws before the other poor saps were finished with Iron Working and Animal Husbandry...ok, maybe not so bad, but you get the idea.

+1 :food: modifier for Agricultural civs is too powerful in my opinion. Using that idea, an Agricultural civ would be cranking out +6 :food: for an irrigated floodplains tile by the time it reaches Biology. That ranks up their with Wheat on Grassland for other civs. Can you imaging how huge those cities would be? I like the 'irrigated' bonus better because even though it provides an advantage to the Agricultural civ, in the end any non-agricultural civ is just as capable of producing that kind of food. On the flip-side to that, can other civilizations feed off of irrigated farms in your civilization? If that is the case then I see a potential problem there, but nothing too unbalanced.

I really like the Seafaring trait, and am wondering why they never added it in the first place.

Isolationist trait sounds too much like 'Always War' and whatnot. Lack of open borders can really hurt you more than help, so if such an idea were to be implemented the game designers would have to get creative.

Truth be told, I was really hoping for more traits than what was provided. Not that I have an ideas really about what those traits would be, I guess I was hoping to be surprised. I really hope more are added as the game matures.

14. Lockesdonkey

Lockesdonkey Liberal Jihadist

As a sidenote, the civ traits are really the leader's personal attributes. Try to make it make sense.

15. sligo

sligo Warlord

The whole point of the isolationist civ is the concept that they think "We can do it ourselves - we don't need help." That attitude is a weekness in and of itself, but with the culture bonus from cottages, it would expand borders faster and be more resistant to culture bombs in other civs.

I thought of another today, called "Protectionist". This one is dicy - similar to Isolationist in concept. Units get the +1 city garrison bonus (if they can). You can receive techs in trade, but you can't trade them away. Another limitation is you can't trade away resources, but you can pay gold to receive them in trade. On the positive, all units with the country's borders have free upkeep (regardless of the current civic), and any fortified or garrisoned unit actually generates +1 gold.

Not sure how playable this idea is - might take some tweaking...

- Sligo

16. puglover

puglover Disturber of Worldviews

I like this one. Perhaps the future Viking civ could have this trait?

17. mutax2003

mutax2003 Rider of China, 4-3-3

Maybe diplomatic bonus can also have +100% gold and techs from goodie huts, and all cities immune from barbarians (i.e. barbs will bypass your cities). Historical trader civs can have this trait, maybe the Carthaginians or the Pheonicians. In addition, they can build the UN and the Colossus at half cost. What do you think?

18. vinstafresh

vinstafresh Prince

I still stand by my diplomatic civ can trade techs before alphabet, even though it could be very powerful in MP-games. The power of a diplo-civ will run out very soon, it will boost your early game termendously, but getting theology and code of laws as soon as others get iron working doesn't sound that bad. You can turn down a tech trade, can't you? Someone has to research all the other worker-techs first. And after the diplo advantage runs out, you have one other traits to work with, while others still have two (ind, phi, etc) in full effect. Similar to extensive chopping, you might pay the price later. And when you're in front in tech and your land is not improved for those kinds of tech, you might be wasting a lot of turns getting those units out, while you're outnumbered by inferior units. You'll get the same problems when you expand too quickly.

I think the UN should be able to cost half price, yeah. I don't think you should be immune to barbs. It would be too huge.

19. Dueck

Dueck Walrold

ROFL Meffy I just about died laughing, thanks.

20. thenooblet22

thenooblet22 King

Since when did a leader's sparking good diplomatic attitude have anything to do with how its empire came about the alphabet? Look at this in the historical perspective, you NEED a common language or symbols to communicate and trade. Really, there it is in the nutshell.

I did my post in red so people will read it and stop the spamming of half-baked ideas (no offense towards anyone)...