Ideas - Scientific Books

Wisaeman

Chieftain
When you build the first library starts a sequences of random events:
You have a minimal percent to each turn discover a scientific book something about 2%.
How it works:
If the player has 50% research on science and money, the player can gain a culture book, that’s give +1 on culture to library per culture book.
If the player has 51% or more, on science research the library gain +1 research points per science book.
Espionage and tributes follow the same logic.
When a Book of each type was researched, gains a specific name: For example: It’s discovered an Economic book: In 1500 ad Adam Smith writes the Wealth of Nations.
In 1500 ad Thomas Hobbes writes the Leviathan

Etc

If a player already was written a book, the other players can have a chance to bring these books to them libraries with the caravan unit:
Whenever a caravan made a route trade have a high chance to earn a book to a random library /university in the empire.

Thanks
:crazyeye:

When you build the first library starts a sequences of random events:
You have a minimal percent to each turn discover a scientific book something about 2%.
How it works:
If the player has 50% research on science and money, the player can gain a culture book, that’s give +1 on culture to library per culture book.
If the player has 51% or more, on science research the library gain +1 research points per science book.
Espionage and tributes follow the same logic.
When a Book of each type was researched, gains a specific name: For example: It’s discovered an Economic book: In 1500 ad Adam Smith writes the Wealth of Nations.
In 1500 ad Thomas Hobbes writes the Leviathan

Etc

If a player already was written a book, the other players can have a chance to bring these books to them libraries with the caravan unit:
Whenever a caravan made a route trade have a high chance to earn a book to a random library /university in the empire.

:eek: i like that idea... but it would need a lot more code than just XML to get it working like that. You could re-post it in the Mod Components Request thread. It might get some attention there, you could also repost it in the SDK/Python forum.:)

if i knew python/SDK that well, i would do it myself, but i don't, so i can't:( which is why i said you could put it in those forums... where the big programmers are...:cool:

I have thought about these and the easiest way to make them work would be events with some python coding if need some complex stuff that can't be made with just event xmls. Event XMLs can do all kinds of things without python so basic set of books might be easy to make. Distributing books to other Civs might be the difficult part.

What books should there be?

First my thought was mathematics and physics since those have caused the major advances in technologies. But then I started thinking art and religion - those have many great books, and there could be event where Beethoven (or other great musicians) write Sinfonies. Should Great Prophets/Artists/Engineers be able to "write" great books? Should specific wonders like Great Library, Heroic Epic etc have a chance to find book?

Designing this kind of feature seems to get complex pretty fast. Game balance is one thing that should be considered as well - if such book feature is made, benefits for buildings units shouldn't overlap ie. books must be scattered throughout the eras and each effect different building which is not problem in RoM since we have many buildings ;)

Thanks for the patronage Zap

I think something about this:

A: Religion Book : You have a chance to discover/write a book when you build your first temple, chances grow up when you build others religions buildings.
For example: Torah, Old and New Testament, Veda, Holy Sutra.
B: Philosophy: When you build you first Scribe School, can discover a philosophic book.
C: Medicine Book: The first come with the Healer Hut
D: Psychic book: With the forge
E: Literacy : When you discover the alphabet and Literacy...
etc
;)

First my thought was mathematics and physics since those have caused the major advances in technologies. But then I started thinking art and religion - those have many great books, and there could be event where Beethoven (or other great musicians) write Sinfonies. Should Great Prophets/Artists/Engineers be able to "write" great books? Should specific wonders like Great Library, Heroic Epic etc have a chance to find book?

How about instead of a "Great Book" it can be called a "Great Piece" since a 'piece' can refer to a book, artwork, theory, song, etc.

Humm

Soon your scientific buildings have a small percent to write a book, when this happens appear a message on the screen:

The mankind rises now; Thomas Hobbes writes the "Leviathan", your library gained +x, now we can spread for the whole world (my pathetic altruism).

For the others civilizations
Your caravans brought some masterpieces from the far lands, The book made by Thomas Hobbes 'll help the mankind. Your library gained x/2, now we can spread this knowledge for the whole world...

Top Bottom