I'm Taking for requests for models.

i also recently just released the first teaser for my apacolyptic mod
it just changes the tree models to ruins models.
they work and function just like tree and jungles the change is only graphical.

i have a ton of content for it so far and more to make but the the implementation of ruin models has stumped me for a while and stopped me from moving forward, im so glad to have finally figure it out.

here is the link to the download.

this is a dlc mod so it cant be placed the mods folder it must be placed here
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC

its a dlc mod cause i needed to change aspects of civ that are hard coded in and access things the mods section cant access that must be accessed directly.

i have completed the asian forest and jungle set along with the asian continent ground textures. Africa is my ground texture testing continent for now and i havent touched the rest. for the heck of it i went ahead and changed every continent's forest and jungle models to the Asian ruins set cause that all i have so far, ruins wise.

if any one feels like having a look here ya go, go crazy play Smokey sky's scenario with ruins for forests while waiting for the apacolyptic mod. I'm super excited

Spoiler asian forest ruins set :

forest ruins.jpg

Spoiler asian jungle ruins set :

jungle ruins.jpg

and here is a link to the forum for the project

sadly for you guys this means ill be a little less attentive here. some of you might have already noticed me not being as active on this thread.
ill still be making models here for you all just less often then i was. with the last breakthrough i can finally move forward with my own mod.

for the longest time i was getting this kind of stuff.

Spoiler the errors :

mistake.jpg

was a long and vigorous testing period to achieve ruins.
i had to fine tune and get just the right amount of detail in each model.
many time if the model had to many faces vertices or edges it cause the above mistake to happen all over the map in every forest tile.
sadly the limit for detail and how the trees are loaded in dont give you much of a choice in models i had to get less and less creative to make this work. i ended up using a few civ 4 things. and had to make really crappy versions of my awesome ruins models

Last edited:
i also recently just released the first teaser for my apacolyptic mod
it just changes the tree models to ruins models.
they work and function just like tree and jungles the change is only graphical.

i have a ton of content for it so far and more to make but the the implementation of ruin models has stumped me for a while and stopped me from moving forward, im so glad to have finally figure it out.

here is the link to the download.

this is a dlc mod so it cant be placed the mods folder it must be placed here
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC

its a dlc mod cause i needed to change aspects of civ that are hard coded in and access things the mods section cant access that must be accessed directly.

i have completed the asian forest and jungle set along with the asian continent ground textures. Africa is my ground texture testing continent for now and i havent touched the rest. for the heck of it i went ahead and changed every continent's forest and jungle models to the Asian ruins set cause that all i have so far, ruins wise.

if any one feels like having a look here ya go, go crazy play Smokey sky's scenario with ruins for forests while waiting for the apacolyptic mod. I'm super excited

Spoiler asian forest ruins set :

Spoiler asian jungle ruins set :

and here is a link to the forum for the project

sadly for you guys this means ill be a little less attentive here. some of you might have already noticed me not being as active on this thread.
ill still be making models here for you all just less often then i was. with the last breakthrough i can finally move forward with my own mod.

for the longest time i was getting this kind of stuff.

Spoiler the errors :

was a long and vigorous testing period to achieve ruins.
i had to fine tune and get just the right amount of detail in each model.
many time if the model had to many faces vertices or edges it cause the above mistake to happen all over the map in every forest tile.
sadly the limit for detail and how the trees are loaded in dont give you much of a choice in models i had to get less and less creative to make this work. i ended up using a few civ 4 things. and had to make really crappy versions of my awesome ruins models
That looks pretty cool. Now you need to cover the map with nuclear landmines

my civ 5 has been 4 gb patched idk if that if it will cause any issues for poeple who dont have it. so if you plan on playing the little asian continent tester mod there and it doesnt work you might need the 4gb patch you can get it here

i haven't tested if any of the options i have i enabled for civ have any effect on the mods function ill do that in the far far future when nearing competition.
i would suggest maxing out the graphic settings. i also went into my the civ 5 GraphicsSettingsDX11 and make sure expensive texturing was enabled
i would say its probably not dx9 compatible it must be played on 11, i haven't tested that but dx9 probably will mess up the graphics
I also enable civ to use more temp data that could also be required.
I'll be testing all that stuff once I get to that point.
I'm still in the asset development.
Before I get into a lot of stuff I need to replace just about every civ 5 graphics.
And I mean actually replace it with a new model so it's not being loaded period taking up civs resources.
Cause even if you remove the coding for a graphic the graphic itself is still there and loaded into the game.
So in order to save on data resources I'll be replacing just about all civ 5 models with new ones. Which might make the art defines coding section a little confusing.
Once I get all my graphics made and in the game I need to test if the game can handle them all through a full game.
I need to make sure I never reach civ 5 data limit so the game plays smoothly all the way through with no distorted pixels from having to much graphic data loaded. Which can happen when you add to many graphics to the game once all those are in play civ might start displaying pixelated graphics in some areas.

Last edited:
Ok so you want the reeds to float not to go all the way down.
And take each island and make it island 1, 2, and 3?
Would be pretty cool.

You can write up and lua or so 1 and 1 can't be adjacent 2 and 2 can't be abjacent and 3 and 3 can't be adjacent.
For a reference to do so you can look into the mod forts and kabash can't be adjacent.
I'm just spitballing ideas for in game use to force the variation.

I do have some reed like plants in there but they are hard to see and they could be more numerous. Making the models larger might fix that so you can tell it's reeds sticking up. As is you can only really see the bottom thicker grass parts
Hey, was just wondering if you were still going to have time to try and pull this together? All good if not but just wanted to check in case!

Hey, was just wondering if you were still going to have time to try and pull this together? All good if not but just wanted to check in case!

Ya thanks for reminding me I completely forgot about that.

Ya you can add more wonders idk how to add them.
Check out the more natural wonders mod for vp found here

I made a few of the new ones in it. But idk how he added them.

I can make you a volcanoe and add the Krakatoa eruption to it I can scale up the effect to make it look like a bigger eruption.

If you want I have a super huge volcanoe model you can have.
You can scale it down of coarse in the art defines but at 1.0 it will be huge. Taking up a whole tile

I'll add the eruption effect to it.
6.jpg

It's a texture of an earlier unused rendition of my mount paektu model found here

I can try to add a new effects by reskinning the waterfall to a lava fall if you'd like.

It might be hard to tell in the picture but it is a spikier version of mt peaktu

still contains the original model but i peiced out the 3 islands they are marked 1, 2 and 3.

it will be the same size as the previous model if you bring it n a 1.0 in the art defnines.
it will probably look best at least scale 1.5 or 2.0.
idk you can figure out the scale when you see it. you can adjust it in the art defines for the improvement.

i didn't test it but it should work since the last one worked.

now that youll be able to see every individual islands better let me know what changes to make.
if you want more plants where should they go. like more around the houses, edges, or just all over.

sorry i forgot about you and this took so long

Attachments

• totora isle.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 20
Last edited:
cloud unit requested by

UncivilizedGuy

this unit will require my more effects mod

i set up a test mod below for viewing the unit.
i recommend keeping the art defines, fxsxml, and ftsxml as is.
the normal xml defines should be good to change around completely.
@ghost toast would you consider doing a feature or improvement (whichever is easier) version of this cloud unit? feature preferred if its possible! also slightly darker version would be nice, but not necessary. Don't need the lightning, unless you can think of a way to easily incorporate it. Thanks!

@ghost toast would you consider doing a slightly darker version of this cloud unit, but as a feature or improvement (whichever is easier)? feature preferred if its possible! thanks!
Well anything can be an improvement or feature.
I can't change the color of the cloud effect because it is a particle effect.

I can make new a cloud model for the improvement or feature and make that one darker.
If I do that it won't move or fade in and out like the actual cloud effect. But it will be a cloud

But you must note that a features should only be added to the map at the game start during map generation.
If not the feature will be invisable untill you save and reload the game.

Well anything can be an improvement or feature.
I can't change the color of the cloud effect because it is a particle effect.

I can make new a cloud model for the improvement or feature and make that one darker.
If I do that it won't move or fade in and out like the actual cloud effect. But it will be a cloud

But you must note that a features should only be added to the map at the game start during map generation.
If not the feature will be invisable untill you save and reload the game.
in this case, it would be better to have it as an improvement. Are you sure, however? I know ice works this way, but forests and jungles, which are also a feature, are added and removed to and from the map dynamically -- I was hoping this cloud might work that way. This will be an important requirement, so improvement will be acceptable if feature is a no go. The particle effect looks good, color change is not necessary.

Thank you for considering! I've tried working with art in the past and failed miserably.

in this case, it would be better to have it as an improvement. Are you sure, however? I know ice works this way, but forests and jungles, which are also a feature, are added and removed to and from the map dynamically -- I was hoping this cloud might work that way. This will be an important requirement, so improvement will be acceptable if feature is a no go. The particle effect looks good, color change is not necessary.

Thank you for considering! I've tried working with art in the past and failed miserably.
Ya all feature but fallout jungle and forest work that way.
With that said I think you might be able to write an lua to remodie the problem idk I never tried.
All I really know is just plopping down a feature during the game results in a invisable feature untill the game is reloaded.

With that said I think you might be able to write an lua to remodie the problem idk I never tried.
I've seen some lua commands that have little or no references, but seem to suggest something like this is possible. I have yet to figure it out, however (I've been unable to rotate the direction a unit is facing, for example).

Anyway I would prefer an improvement then, I plan to use it to add some dynamic weather in ocean tiles, so there will be few other improvements in the way anyway.

The graphics engine only updates the world for Features it expects to be changed, such as Forests and Jungles. Stuff like Oasises and Atolls and anything new you add will only be updated graphically upon reload.

Sorry I completely forgot about that I'll try and get to it this weekend.
It's pretty do able.
The civ cloud effect is what it is I can't make it darker or anything.
If a different cloud is needed I can make a cloud it just wont move or fade in and out like civs cloud.

Sorry I completely forgot about that I'll try and get to it this weekend.
It's pretty do able.
The civ cloud effect is what it is I can't make it darker or anything.
If a different cloud is needed I can make a cloud it just want move or fade in and out like civs cloud.
no prob i really appreciate the help if you have time -- its taken me some time to tune up the code for the mod i am thinking of adding it to anyway, finally did it this past wknd.

Color is not so important, tbh the unit is pretty much perfect. Of course it doesn't need any lightning attacks etc., though if there was a way to incorporate the animation effects from the other "unexplored" clouds (sometimes they flash as though lightning underneath etc. on higher graphic setting), that would be icing on the cake, but totally overkill really if that complicates the ask. Thanks for considering!

Top Bottom