Immortal Dutch Domination - REX/Spy Fusion

dont you just love it when everything falls in place for you? lol. you should send a brave warrior past to barb city to see whats off in that direction. you could make poor 001 go on the worst mission of his like :lol: (even though he'd be better used for spying obviously)

Good tale you have going here, yours and the Dom Deity one are definatly my favorites to read here.

“Jan.”

It is yet another rainy night in Amsterdam this fall, and Jan is jumpy. He says tersely, “yes, Mari?”

“Jan, you know I’ve had to suffer a lot in this marriage. After my miscarriage, we were going to try again, and settle down in Cori and buy a farm. We even talked about you converting to Christianity and...” Mari trails off.

“I know,” Jan says softly.

“Can’t you at least tell me what it is that they’re making you do?”

“I can’t. I’m sorry. You know it pays well, though.”

“All the money in the world is not enough when they just keep pressing you to go out again and do whatever it is that you do. We arrived in Amsterdam only three weeks ago, and they’re sending you back now.”

“Mari, I’m no farmer. You know that. And you know how hard we struggled to make it in Cori. We tried everything, but the kinds of things that the Dutch navy trained me to do, you didn’t want me to do. That was all I was ever good at. And I couldn’t do it.”

“Well I didn’t want to be married to a sailor whom I wouldn’t see for most of the year, every year.”

“We were living in poverty in Cori, Mari. Look around you. Sure, it’s just Dutch navy family housing, but it’s better than our dirt-floored hut in Cori. And your clothes, this table, these chairs--all paid for courtesy of my work.”

“We could have at least tried to make it work in Cori. We were happy there, in a way.”

“Can’t you see that I’m doing all of this for you, Mari? 900 gulden, Mari. Nine. Hundred. In addition to the 100 gulden down payment they gave me to come back here. We can start a new life here, Mari. One where we don’t have to wonder where our next meal will come from.”

“You aren’t doing this for us. You haven’t listened to me at all on the way back. You’re doing it for you. I see a side of you that I’ve never seen before. Whatever it is that you do, all I know is that it pays well, it’s probably dangerous, and that you like it. I know you do.”

“And what if I do like it? What then?”

“Please, Jan. Whatever it is, it must be dangerous or they would not have spent so much effort in tracking you down.”

“Life is dangerous. You might be killed just walking down the street during a slave revolt or die from the latest plague. We might as well not live at all with your attitude.”

“Some risks can be avoided, though, Jan.”

“Nothing ventured, nothing gained.”

“Jan, there’s something else you should know.”

“What?”

“I’m pregnant.”

“No, Rene.”

“That is not an acceptable answer.”

“Then find someone else to do your dirty work.”

“His majesty does have other agents, 001, but you are the best man for the job.”

“See? Then make them do it. Or pay up. I have a family to feed, now. 3000 gulden.”

Rene sighs. “I’ll see what I can do.”

“Don’t sigh at me. It’s not your neck on the line. I’m a wanted criminal, for crying out loud, and you want to lowball me?”

“I’ll see what I can do, Jan. No guarantees.”

“Another miserable November in Cori,” Jan grumbles as he steps out of the carriage and into the rain. He flips a gulden to the driver, who leaves Jan alone in the street, in front of the Cori Inn.

After a brief chat with the innkeeper, Jan enters his room and takes off his poncho. Underneath, he is wearing black-dyed cowhide. He spends the rest of the night staring at the ceiling.

The Duke of Cori’s stone fortress overlooks the town’s western edge. It is small but well-kept, and Jan is unable to find a glaring weakness in its defenses--militarily. He spots a row of three windows carved into the stone on the northern face, and after 100 years of surveillance determines that the corridor leads to a dining area as well as an upstairs storage area. By the time Jan is ready to start, word on the street has it that the Great Library has been built in Amsterdam.

January 12, 660 AD, 9:14 p.m. local time. Moonless. Slight breeze from the west.

A dark figure affixes a iron grappling hook to a triple-strength fishing line and, under cover of darkness and some bushes, shoots the hook from a small bow into the central window on the north face of the Duke of Cori’s fortress.

The corridor is abandoned as Jan pulls himself through the window. Torchlight down the western end of the hall, near the dining area, gives him enough light to work with, and he rolls up the line and replaces the hook and line on his belt.

Faint metallic clanging grows louder. Someone is approaching from the eastern end of the corridor, around the corner. Jan looks to his right. Twenty meters to the dining room. He looks left and spots the door to the storage room ten meters away. Jan inhales and bolts for the storage room. Jan quickly opens the door, which emits a small squeak. The room appears to be mostly janitorial in nature, with spare torches and candles on one shelf and a variety of cleaning aids on the other. There is barely enough space between the shelves to allow Jan to squeeze in. He closes the door behind him moments before the person rounds the corner.

To Jan’s dismay, the door begins to open, probably because the person heard the squeak. Jan finds himself face-to-face with a portly Incan dressed in servant clothing. The Incan manservant’s jaw drops, but before he can utter a sound, Jan cups a hand over his mouth and strikes him with the iron end of the grappling hook. The manservant collapses and emits the faintest of sighs as his head comes to a rest next to Jan’s boot. Jan glances down each side of the corridor. There is absolute silence except for the sound of the winter wind blowing by the windows.

Jan relieves the manservant of his keys before he drags him into the storage room and closes the door. Jan also pulls out and glances at a clamshell scratching of the fortress’s floorplans. Ethel Rosenberg, who is still somewhere in Inca in deep undercover operations, is still supplying accurate information, and within moments, Jan is unlocking the door to his target.

“Pachaya Huniga?”

Pachaya opens his eyes and lets out a heavily muffled yelp as he sees the steely blue eyes of Jan Bushnell peering back through a black mask. The elderly, bearded Incan shakes with terror as Jan starts whispering.

“Don’t make another sound, old man, or you’ll live just long enough to regret it before I throw you off the balcony. Is your name Pachaya Huniga, chief administrator of this fortress? Nod slowly if yes, shake your head no slowly if no.”

Pachaya slowly nods.

“Congratulations, Pachaya. You’re going to live. And you’re coming with me.”

Agent 001 is back at it, this time jacking Feudalism, which is not a super-useful tech by itself but is necessary to get to Economics. Also note that we complete the Great Library in 5 turns, without whipping! (158)

James Bond eat your heart out. We are not going to need 007 maybe after all ;) But feudalism not a usefull tech? Your power rating is very low, so some longbows will really help.

great story :goodjob:! I've never been so concerned about the safety of a spy as i have been about 001 :lol:. I hope poor Mari gets her man back.

James Bond eat your heart out. We are not going to need 007 maybe after all ;) But feudalism not a usefull tech? Your power rating is very low, so some longbows will really help.

The big problem with longbows is that they don't do much against pillagers, and our neighbors are stuffed to the gills with mounted units, including elephants. What we really need are pikemen right about now... our power rating is okay; it's about tied or a bit below Sumer, which is close to everyone else's power level, so it's above the threshold where the AIs think we look delicious (if memory serves me correctly, as long as our power rating is over 70% of an AI's power rating, that AI will probably leave us alone).

Dutch “war room,” Amsterdam palace, 780 AD. Willem and his counselors are gathered.

“Agent 001 has done it again, milord,” Maarten beams. “He has captured an administrator who has told us the secrets of feudalism. Furthermore, Agent 002 has also returned. He copied some new Incan writings about meditation, epistemology, and other philosophical goings-on in Inca that could be of use to us.”

“Never mind that, I want to know if we’ve ‘forgotten’ to send our annual gold ore shipments to the Native Extortionists. Sitting Bullcrap ticks me off,” Willem responds.

“We have canceled the deal, milord,” Ilse says. “Also, we had another Great Spy born, and he is currently dormant in Amsterdam awaiting orders.”

“Good!” Willem replies.

Chris chimes in. “Sir, the Great Library has accelerated our research efforts. We’ve discovered how to harness the power of wind and water using machines. I foresee many windmills in the Netherlands. As a bonus, we can now craft powerful crossbows that require less training to use than longbows and which devastate close-quarters infantry. Soon, we will also have improved roadbuilding techniques and stronger spearmen in order to counter our rivals’ cavalry charges.”

Not to be outdone, Maarten interjects, “our last infantry division for the Scythian invasion has been trained in Rotterdam, sir. They were originally supposed to be given swords, but in the middle of training we discovered new combat techniques, and they ended up being equipped with maces instead.”

“Excellent, have our army besiege Scythia at once,” Willem says. “We want that iron to be in Dutch hands!”

“Yes, sir!”

“Why do I have to keep going to these Hindu lovefests?” Sitting Bull groans as he disrobes and slips into the Apolostic Palace bath with Willem and Huayna Capac. “I swear, I’m going to figure out a way to selectively whip my Hindu population away so there won’t be anyone upset when I defy all of your orders.” Bull glares as Huayna.

“I didn’t realize you were so friendly with Wang Kon,” Capac replies.

“I’m not,” Bull spits. “What’s Korea got to do with this?”

“Great!” Capac claps his hands. “Then I submit to this council that we should deny Korea open borders and all trade in general.”

“Count me out,” Willem says. “We do not want to cut off one of our trading partners like that. We don’t like them, but they aren’t that bad, either.”

“Count me out, too,” Bull adds.

“But they are infidels, Bull!” Capac wrings his hands.

“So what? You two are infidels, too!” Bull snorts. “I don’t see why I should be doing either of you any favors.”

“This meeting is adjourned,” Capac says angrily, turning to Willem. “I expected better from you, Willem.”

“Then give me residency of this palace,” Willem responds. “We Dutch have 108 votes to your 98 now. It’s only fair that we be in charge.”

“Never!” Capac shouts as he exits the baths in a huff.

“All right! I don’t have to see that hideous ‘Hindu Hug’ again!” Bull grins.

Meanwhile another Great Spy is born. Infiltration is losing its luster at this stage of the game, as Inca has a substantial amount of EPs now thanks to courthouses and its palace. Or we could save the Great Spy for another Golden Age, when paired with another GP. Let’s do that. [Editor’s note--in hindsight we should have sent the second great spy to infiltrate some more, but oh well.] (160)

Time to cancel the extortionist deal with Sitting Bull. Now that 10 turns have passed, we get absolutely no benefit from this one-sided extortion. Sitting Bull isn’t gearing up for war, anyway. Neither is anyone else (screenshots omitted). (166)

This may be a daft move, but Engineering (for pikemen) is attractive as the main threat is from mounted units, as nobody seems to have copper or iron at the moment, and realistically the only way we can lose this game is if we get blindsided by a sneak attack. So at the cost of getting more useful techs earlier, we will take the safe route for now and buff up our army. (173)

Marble: the gift that keeps on giving. Marble boosts Hindu Mandir production (for +happy and +AP hammer). In other games I’ve loved being Jewish if I had stone for Synagogues. (174)

Agent 002 jacks Philosophy from Inca. The cumulative theft list now stands at: Iron Working, Construction, Feudalism, and Philosophy. Too bad Gilgamesh didn’t get Philo first, as that would mean that the only religion with more than one adherent would be Hinduism, which we share with Inca. In other words, there would be religious friction all over the place, and the Hindu axis would be stronger. Divide and conquer! (176)

The buildup for the Scythian invasion has had the side effect of helping us keep pace with AI military buildup. (179)

Capac doesn’t like his Confucian rival Wang Kon. We don’t really care to make enemies with Wang Kon right now, as our army is not particularly strong and Korea is protective and has melee-killer Hwachas, so we vote “no.” (180)

We see that Korea, Sumer, and Native America all have archers waiting to poach Scythian if it is weakened enough. So we must be 100% sure to capture the city in one turn or else risk it getting poached. (182)

Capac is doing a half-arsed job of spreading Hinduism so Middelburg cranks one out to send south to allow for Hindu religious buildings and to get the Organized Religion production bonus. If you want a job done right, do it yourself. (183)

Mount Scythia, principle city and hilltop fortress of Scythia. 800 AD.

“Anacharsis, how did we Scythians come to have so many enemies?”

“With all due respect, Lord Farsa, our flag is that of a white skull on a black background. I think it sends the wrong message with regards to our culture. Do you see anyone else walking around with such a flag? They all have cute little designs, not designs that scream ‘we are going to kill and eat you.’”

“But Anacharsis, we used to have wild animals pass by toting such flags.”

Scythian chief counselor Anacharsis sighs, exasperated.

“How many of them are there?” Farsa asks.

“We count five divisions of archers. Four to the north hiding in the jungles: two Native American, one Korean, and one Sumerian. The fifth division is Korean and southeast of us and in a holding pattern.”

“Why won’t they charge us? Why do they just sit there, loitering?”

“I think they’ve learned a lesson or two from their previous attempts to capture this city. They just made us stronger. In fact, one of our surviving archery divisions learned how to defend the city better after that one battle back in the day.”

Suddenly, a messenger bursts into the Scythian throne room. “Your highness, and your honor, there is very important news from the front, and General Skunkha requires orders!”

“Well spit it out, lad!” Anacharsis says.

“A massive army from the Netherlands has approached Scythia.”

“What? The Dutch have been pansies for thousands of years, and now they decide to invade us? With what, exactly? And how many is ‘massive’?”

“Tens of thousands of soldiers, armed with metal melee weapons, shields, and armor, and large, ominous wooden contraptions. They are advancing quickly. If left unchecked, they will be here in another 20 years!”

“20 years?! Then they are practically here already. They will be ready to attack us in 40 years’ time!” Anacharsis exclaims.

“Tell General Skunkha to pull all of his men within the city walls. Let us pray that our invaders are here to kill each other and not us!” Farsa cries.

*** 40 years later, 10:50 p.m., in the Scythian fortress’s war room ***

“General Skunkha, what news?” Farsa says, as Anacharsis looks on.

“We will do our best to hold them off, my lord, but--” A boom and an echo off the nearby hills cuts Skunkha off. “But their siege machines are destroying our fortifications from afar. They are beyond the effective range of our arrows, though we did sent one sortie out last night and they managed to torch a third of the machines, albeit with heavy casualties.”

“Can we hold them off, though?” Farsa asks.

Another boom and echo interrupts the conversation until the echoes subside.

“Not for much longer, I’m afraid. Those infernal rock-throwers have damaged many of our fortified positions and gouged massive holes in the fortress walls.”

“There must be a way to hold them back!” Anacharsis cries.

“I’m afraid not. Their maceman and swordsmen seem to have been on the march since nightfall. Our archers are ready to shower them with arrows, but on this cloudy and moonless night, it is difficult to make out exactly where the enemy is. Even if this were broad daylight, they are too many, and we are too few,” Skunkha says morosely.

“Damn those fecund Dutch!” Farsa spits. “Do we have any diplomatic alternatives, Anacharsis?”

“Sir, we beheaded their first three messengers and sent their heads back to Willem, wrapped in our skull-on-black flags. They have made no attempt to communicate with us ever since.”

“That was thousands of years ago! Forgive and forget!” Farsa shouts.

A messenger bursts into the room. “Your highness! Your honor! Sir!” The messenger salutes. “Important news from the front! The walls have been breached, and a stream of enemy macemen are pouring through, with a legion of swordsmen not far behind. They are massacring our archers from behind.”

“Aren’t you the same messenger that told us 40 years ago that the Dutch were invading?” Farsa asks.

“Yes, sir!”

“General, your sword, please.” Farsa takes Skunkha’s sword and raises it above the messenger’s head.

“No! Wait! I’m just the messenger. Aieee!”

The door bursts open before Farsa completes the sword stroke, and a dozen Dutch soldiers with maces and swords stream through. The leader screams, “drop the weapon, now!”

Farsa drops the sword.

“Say, isn’t that Farsa?” another soldier asks.

The lead soldier replies, “I don’t know, give me your deck of cards with the portraits drawn on them.”

His comrade complies.

“Ah, yes, here he is. Lord Fenius Farsa, Ace of Spades. The others appear to be Skunka, the Ace of Clubs and general of the Scythian army, Anacharsis, Queen of Diamonds...”

“What? I’m a man,” Anarcharsis says.

“...Anacharsis, Chief Counselor and Eunuch to Farsa, and some poor sap dressed as a messenger,” the lead Dutch soldier finishes. “You are all under arrest!”

“In your dreams!” Anacharsis says as he shoves the messenger into the lead Dutch soldier and dives out a nearby window. The general follows suit, with Farsa right behind him. The Dutch soldiers peer down and can barely make out the bodies in the darkness. There is no movement.

“What a nasty way to go,” a soldier says.

“I’ll say!” the lead soldier replies. “Well, I suppose we ought to torch this place now, according to our orders. Messenger boy, you are coming with us for interrogation.”

Battle commences. We sacrifice a catapult to make the job easier for everyone else against those fortified, hilltop archers. In hindsight, this strong Scythian invasion stack was overkill, but the thing is, with so much Feudalism going around, I thought that the barbarians would have longbows by now. (189)

Defying expectations, the catapult survives and was not sacrificed, after all! (190)

Perhaps we can milk this city for more siege engine xp points? Nope, we lose a cat. But the odds for the maceman are high, so he goes in next. It’s just mop-up work for the City-Raider swordsmen after the maceman does his job. (194)

The battle’s conclusion reveals more of the map. Scythian’s placement isn’t necessarily that great. The Hague cranks out a settler to resettle the area; meanwhile the battle’s survivors walk around trying to find a better city spot. (197)

900 AD, in Amsterdam Palace’s war room:

“We lost a third of our catapults, sir, but we have successfully broken the back of the Scythian army, torched their fortress near Mount Scythia, and are pushing southeast into the frontier,” Tromp proudly reports. “Also, 001 has stolen Theology from Inca.”

“Excellent! But why did we torch the city?” Willem asks.

“It was built in an inconvenient location,” Chris offers. “Even as we speak, we’re having The Hague equip a stream of settlers to settle better-situated cities in that area.”

“There is a distinct lack of Korean culture in the area, much to our surprise, so we may be able to found a few more cities past the isthmus. If there turns out to be no available land to settle, we can always tell the extra settlers to settle the area north of the isthmus and also East Fort and Long Island,” Ilse adds. “Lastly, the Parthenon has inspired a Great Merchant to step forward and do the Dance of the Golden Age with our dormant Great Spy. The Second Dutch Golden Age is upon us! This will help our westernmost city, Maastricht, in constructing some Hindu buildings for production reasons and to educated people in the area about the superiority of Dutch culture!”

“How are we doing technologically, Chris?”

“Splendidly, sir. We might be able to move away from writing on clamshells and writing on dead trees soon. This would encourage learning and we could boost that by building a university as well,” Chris replies.

“I don’t understand a word you just said, Chris, but do it!” Willem grins.

A messenger enters the room and bows to everyone. “Your honors, message from Korea! They want us to abolish slavery and replace it with a caste system. What shall I tell them?”

“Dear Wang Kon, you must learn to respect our differences, full stop,” Willem snorts.

“Speaking of foreign powers,” Chris says when the messenger leaves, “we need money, so we’re shipping gold ore to Sitting Bull again. This time we’re making him pay seven talents of gold for each shipment, though.”

“That’s a fair price, I suppose,” William says, stroking his mustache. “Anyway, Chris, see to it that we develop that new writing method. Maarten, see to it that the Scythian campaign’s aftermath is a success as well. Commend 001’s theft of those Theological secrets from Inca, give him four weeks off, and then send him back into the field. Ilse, I’ll be seeing you in my quarters later on to tell you all about my latest erection dedicated to you.”

“The Sistine Chapel? Oh it is so lovely, and in my hometown, too.”

“Yes, but I’m talking about another huge erection in your honor. It will be called ‘Notre Dame....’”

“Okay, seriously, I hate being here. Can’t I just pay you two some gold or something to get out of these stupid meetings? These meetings never go anywhere,” Sitting Bull says as Huayna Capac, Willem, and Sitting Bull reconvene in the Apolostic Palace.

“I’ve decided that you are both right about Korea not being a worthy target,” Huayna begins, ignoring Bull. “Therefore, we should ban all trade with Sumer, instead! Can I get a show of hands?”

“216 votes yes, 140 votes no, 5 votes no,” Huayna says. “Looks like the resolution passes!”

“You have 116 votes, not 140, fool,” Bull corrects.

“Oh.”

“You have five votes now?” William asks Bull.

“Not willingly. The few Hindus in our Jewish state keep breeding despite our best efforts.”

“How about giving us that problem child city so that you won’t have to go to these meetings again?” Willem offers.

“Do I look stupid?” Bull shoots back. “Wait, don’t answer that!”

A Great Merchant is born. I am loathe to burn a GM and the sleeping Great Spy for a golden age, as merchants are very good; they give +1 food which is like +1/2 of a specialist, in addition to gold (and beakers under Representation). However, Capac only has Theology on us, making the Great Spy less valuable, so the GPs both burn for a golden age. In hindsight, the GM should have settled and the GS should have re-infiltrated Inca. (202)

Amsterdam with Bureaucracy, Organized Religion, religious building AP hammer bonuses, and Golden Age can build Notre Dame, without stone, in just 7 turns. Heck, why not, the extra happy can only help, not to mention the GP points. And it’s not like Amsterdam can build that much else right now. A courthouse would only add +2 EP/turn and save maybe one gold per turn’s worth of maintenance, and we’re probably done with theft anyway, unless Capac researches something better than Divine Right, which is what he’s working on now. Since it’s a Golden Age and losing Notre Dame is improbable and no big deal anyway, we tell Amsterdam to focus on commerce while it is building Notre Dame. Although there has been some progress in building workers in other areas of the Dutch empire, we need more workers up north, because Amsterdam has grown very large and is working some undeveloped tiles right now. (205-206)

Paper is next. Might as well get University of Sankore if we can, and the AI loves to go for Guilds so maybe we can jack that from Capac if he goes for it after Divine Right. (210)

There seems to be a vast quantity of land available past the ex-Scythian isthmus, so military units keep fanning out while our settler decides what to do. The Hague kicks into settler-spam overdrive. (213)

More meaningless threats from Korea. The Scythian invasion force has given us power rating parity with everyone, so we don’t need to give in to threats. (215)

Sitting Bull gets his gold ore again. Only this time, it’s not at knifepoint; we make him cough up 7 gold/turn for it. That ought to help the economy stay afloat even after the Golden Age ends. (218)

Interesting. There’s another barbarian city south of ex-Scythia. The first time I played this map, Korea took most of this land already; I think what happened this time is that I built up the army faster at the expense of not worker-spamming like I did the first time around. Whatever the reason, I am caught off-guard and The Hague keeps training settlers to take advantage of the unexpected situation. (222)

But first things first. We need to grab the ex-Scythian iron before someone else does. (223)

Paper done. Education next. Maybe we can steal or trade Guilds and beeline Economics for the free Great Merchant next. (225)

Sumer is the only rival with iron or copper; apparently Gilgamesh found iron somewhere. (227) What an odd game. Almost all our rivals are Protective, and Native America was impregnable given its resource-free, axeman-killer Dog Soldiers and Protective archers. But until recently (Construction and Feudalism) we couldn’t be easily rushed either, as we could whip a few archers and spearmen and have enemies bounce off our cities. However, they could still pillage us to the stone age and they also have mounted units, so that’s why we gave in to some reasonable tribute demands.

Korea is sending a settler escorted by a horse archer, probably to the site marked “prod” since that was also a blue-circle site. (228)

With nothing better to jack, Agent 001 jacks Theology. Maybe we can sell it to someone. (229)

An overview of the Dutch kingdom. Utrecht gets to build the non-military units like workers, settlers, missionaries, spies, and scouts. The scout will board a galley departing from The Hague and then explore that Long Island hut. Maybe we’ll pop something good like Astronomy from it! (230)

Nijmegen has completed the Sistine Chapel and thus ensured that it will not be culturewashed by the Christian holy city nearby. The wonder also helps every other Dutch city push back enemy culture. (231)

Capac is at it again. This time he wants to cut trade with Sumer. No thanks, Capac. (232)

Uni of Sankore takes just 7 turns with the Golden Age. Every city is busy as heck building infra right now, but workers will soon be en route to develop those undeveloped tiles. I swear! Middelburg and Rotterdam are also sprinkling in some Pikeman builds in case some enemy mounted units show up unexpectedly. (233)

Leiden settled. Just in case Korea was aiming for that site and not the blue-circle site, which already has one of our settlers en route. (234)

Korea’s settling party has reached the blue-circle site, but ran out of movement points. One of the settlers that The Hague spammed is one tile away--and has 2 movement points, which means that it can settle the site this turn, before the Koreans can! (238)

Rofl ace of spades. Loved the part of the barbs. Never seen more insight in those minds. 40 years later aka 2 minutes real time haha. God, my morning started of well. Thx for that Axident. Keep the stories up. Nice city placements. Had to edit the post now that I see what you are doing. 2 bananas, 2 sugar and lots of grassland. Cottage heaven and the other 1 is definitely a nice production center.

BTW is the iron/pig/fish city already founded? Imagine that city with maoi statues and dikes. It makes me drool. I am about to buy BtS just because of that. If anyone sees that spot they will put up a city next to your capital. Ah, I see in the screenshots that it isn't yet :( Maybe you need a talk with your domestic advisor. Or maybe I should talk to Ilse to convince Willem a little more ;)

Korea’s settling party has reached the blue-circle site, but ran out of movement points. One of the settlers that The Hague spammed is one tile away--and has 2 movement points, which means that it can settle the site this turn, before the Koreans can! (238)

Haarlem settled. Better luck next site, Korea. (239)

The Hague is still cranking settlers. Even if there is nothing left to settle down south, there is that East Fort/Moai Statues iron/plains hills site just east of Amsterdam that it can be used for. We queue a galley as well; there was a hut in that long island northeast of Amsterdam that may yield something tasty. (240)

Hehe, I'm glad you're enjoying it. But I didn't make it on your greatest hits list in your sig block? :cry:

East Fort (the spot east of Amsterdam) is safe from rivals' expansion due to the massive culture around it. We're already running at somewhat crappy science% due to the continued REXing, so we'll try to get those brand new southern cities up and running and save East Fort for later REXing, after we spam a few more workers--which we are in DIRE need of after founding 3 new cities; those 3 cities are sucking away workers that would have been working on developing Amsterdam and other cities.

Rofl ace of spades. Loved the part of the barbs. Never seen more insight in those minds. 40 years later aka 2 minutes real time haha. God, my morning started of well. Thx for that Axident. Keep the stories up. Nice city placements. Had to edit the post now that I see what you are doing. 2 bananas, 2 sugar and lots of grassland. Cottage heaven and the other 1 is definitely a nice production center.

BTW is the iron/pig/fish city already founded? Imagine that city with maoi statues and dikes. It makes me drool. I am about to buy BtS just because of that. If anyone sees that spot they will put up a city next to your capital. Ah, I see in the screenshots that it isn't yet :( Maybe you need a talk with your domestic advisor. Or maybe I should talk to Ilse to convince Willem a little more ;)

Good tale you have going here, yours and the Dom Deity one are definatly my favorites to read here.

Cool, I sometimes wonder who is reading since the 4000 BC save has been downloaded 9 times yet only a few people have said much, and nobody has voted this thread using the star system. Maybe there are a lot of lurkers? Hi, lurkers! Don't be shy! :D

By the way, here are some saves past 4000 BC for those who want some other starting points:

Attachments

• 2Demo Immortal WillemBigSmallLow BC-0275.CivBeyondSwordSave
    148.6 KB · Views: 105
  • 2Demo Immortal WillemBigSmallLow AD-0500 sweet music.CivBeyondSwordSave
    183.7 KB · Views: 111
Seoul, Korea.

A gaunt old man in rags approaches the palace gates.

“There shall be no begging within 100 meters of his majesty’s palace, old man. Begone!” barks one of the two mounted guards at the gate, who makes as if to kick the old man.

The old man lifts up his hood and squints in the noontime sun at the man. “Don’t you know who I am?”

“I don’t know, and I don’t care.”

The old man pulls a pack of playing cards out from underneath his tattered clothing. “I’m the Ace of Spades, King Fenius Farsa of Scythia, and I would like a word with King Wang Kon.”

“Your story makes no sense,” Wang Kon says to Fenius in the Korean war room, which he cleared of his guards earlier--after thoroughly searching Fenius, of course. “How did you survive the fall? It must have been at least 20 meters to the ground.”

“My chief counselor probably died on impact, it is true. But my general fell on top of him and survived. Then I fell on top of both of them and he died, too. I suffered some broken ribs, but I managed to escape with the help of some of the fleeing royal guardsmen.”

“And then you disguised yourself by shaving your head and pretending to be a Confucian pilgrim going to the holy city?”

“Yes.”

“And now you come here, begging me for money to lead the remnants of your people, who are scattered around your former capital?”

“Yes.”

“And you think you can conjure up a force large enough to displace the horde of Dutch soldiers that has poured through the Scythian isthmus? The one circling around the three new Dutch cities in the region? The same horde that is massing near Phoenicia, to the south of your former kingdom? That horde?”

“Yes.”

Wang Kon laughs and pours more wine for both of them. “I think you are quite mad, old man. Nevertheless, you may be able to avenge the destruction of your city and humiliation of your people in other, more clandestine ways.”

“What do you have in mind?” Fenius asks.

“Willem is my enemy as well. Not only is the Netherlands Korea’s only neighbor and thus a natural military target, Willem rejected my reasonable request that he switch into Caste System with a single, insolent sentence! I’ve been thinking about ways to get back at him without taking on his sizeable army.” Wang Kon leans back in his chair and strokes his mustache before leaning forward.

“Fenius, do you have any experience with poisoning city water supplies?” Wang Kon asks, his lips curling into a leering smile.

Cool, I sometimes wonder who is reading since the 4000 BC save has been downloaded 9 times yet only a few people have said much, and nobody has voted this thread using the star system. Maybe there are a lot of lurkers? Hi, lurkers! Don't be shy! :D

OK, now I'm feeling guilty. I am lurking and really enjoying the story. Keep it up! :goodjob:

Oeeeehhhhh, more suspense. This is turning out to be a real soap. Now all that we are missing is the "smell the fart" look by Fenius. This is getting more intriguing by the minute. I smell poison in the air. Great cliff hanger.

And sorry Axident, this is your first thread. I am enjoying it very much but you have something to live up too :p Just pushing you to become better ;) and admit it, you are getting better (at least in my opinion). Gave you 5 stars though to make up for it.

About pigfishironcity you can indeed wait untill replacable parts. Then you have a very good production center next to your capital. Now get that plethora of workers going.

Top Bottom