Immortal Portugal Photojournal (of an amateur)

I'm not sure if they give a monopoly. If so, that's even more powerful with Colonialism
They don't give a monopoly.

I agree that rationalism wasn't a great choice here. Your cities are doing well for now in production, but the stock exchange, museum, research lab, and hospital are all so close on the tech tree. Furthermore you have explicitly stated that from here moving forward, war is really important.

Chapter 16: Nabbing Wonders During War
Spoiler I. Taking Seoul! :

Sweden had little chance on holding onto Seoul. I upgraded my sole Frigate that has logistics to a Cruiser and it destroys most land units. Meanwhile, my Frigates are systematically bombarding Seoul until one of my Lancers can take the city. I also moved my Gatling Gun forward to support (it has Medic 2 so a pretty good support) while my other Lancers just pick off any Swedish units that get too close.
20181029192249_1.jpg

Spoiler II. Let's Grab the Eiffel Tower :

This is certainly one of my favorite Industrial Age Wonders as you've notice from my Photojournals. I need it more this game to catch up to Sweden in policies because, regardless of what's happened so far, he refuses to let go of his lead. I don't know why but there seems to be always one civ in my Immortal game that seems to get really ahead in policies and nothing I can do, other than conquering them, can help me catch up to them.
20181029192424_1.jpg

Spoiler III. New Policy :

I have Great Engineer saved up while one is about to spawn so extra yields are nice. There are a couple of Wonders I don't mind nabbing and, despite the war, my capital is doing well in terms or production. I think having a slight tech lead, not needing policy requirements and focusing on Wonders help me against AIs that are too focused on the wars at hand. Sweden is losing quite badly considering his size and Russia is rarely at peace with her two neighbors but, thankfully, isn't making too much progress.
20181029192500_1.jpg

Spoiler IV. Maybe This Will Help? :

Rome declared war on Sweden....and I doubt it will change anything. I've already dealt with the brunt of the Swedeish forces and I'm laying siege to Karalis. You can see the Field Gun east of Karalis bombarding with impunity. I have a Lancer to get sight on the city and, north of the Field Gun, I have a Citadel next to a river that will halt any AI attempts to take out my Field Gun.
20181029194418_1.jpg

Spoiler V. Finally Got It! :

I started Neuschwanstein a long time ago after Linz finished its Courthouse and it took this long. Fortunately, I got the Wonder and it's a decent one for sure. Extra happiness to help me buffer against unhappiness is always nice. The gold might serve a bigger purpose than the culture considering that I am in the process of upgrading all of my units like my Frigates because I'm actually enjoying dominance over the seas.
20181029233112_1.jpg

Spoiler VI. Let's Get Stellar Units :

I know that the AI units get more promotions than me so this will put me on a somewhat more even playing field. Don't ask me how I managed to grab all these Wonders but the AIs just don't prioritize them as much as me. I don't have the supply cap to build more units anyways so my capital is mostly busy with these Wonders. Glad it's paying off since I'm actually getting them. Having the gold to rush Wonders while having Great Engineers, with extra yields due to Rationalism, at stand-by really helps.
20181030001326_1.jpg

Spoiler VII. Curses... :

Somehow Sweden got enough support to repeal his sanction. I'll have to do something about that like proposing a new sanction. I don't want Sweden to recover from this...ever. I also managed to liberate Brussels but it has been a rather bloody affair (for the Swedes of course). I had to mow through so many Swedish units before Sweden finally stopped contesting me for the CS. I think it will be the next update where I have a screenshot of my defensive line. Feels like I'm building a Maginot Line here.
20181030001729_1.jpg

Spoiler VIII. Enjoy it While You Can, Sweden! :

I'm putting Sweden back under sanction and I get a boost from most civs. I'd rather be using this time to get more SOI but Sweden is a bigger priority. If I had known he get support, I would've bought votes too. I just don't have enough votes as it is to stop him last vote unless I didn't vote for my own SOI over Wellington. It's an annoying delay but I'll work with it. Sweden isn't getting away with this that easily.
20181030001754_1.jpg

Spoiler IX. Slow and Steady :

A single Field Gun takes forwards to take down a city, especially when its damaged by a badly wounded Swedish Lancer who decided to swing around the south of that mountain terrain and hit it before I finished it off with my own Lancer. In a war I expected to be fighting for my life, I'm pleasantly relieved to see myself taking three cities and liberating a CS. I don't know how long I can do this since I can't replenish my units (and I did lose a few to stupidity). At least my empire is very happy with the war.
20181030002952_1.jpg

Spoiler X. New Policy :

Taking these cities are speeding up my policies and I don't mind that one bit. I went for Free Thought because religious divisions are causing lots of issues for most of my cities. Islam was spread quite aggressively and I'm struggling to hold it at bay. I am buying Inquisitors to remove them but their pressure on my cities are pretty ridiculous. I think that, until I conquer most of Sweden and convert all those cities, I'll keep facing the spread of Islam.
20181030003244_1.jpg

Well, that's it for our update! When will my war with Sweden end? :)

All my Portugal playthroughs have always been a blast.
Remember that Feitoras are extremely good and can make a desert city very nice.
Having a fleet of Naus first spreading the Feitoras to all city states and then specialize in raiding cities and kill ships will ensure sea dominance.

They don't give a monopoly.

I agree that rationalism wasn't a great choice here. Your cities are doing well for now in production, but the stock exchange, museum, research lab, and hospital are all so close on the tech tree. Furthermore you have explicitly stated that from here moving forward, war is really important.

I don't know why I didn't go Imperialism but this was a learning process. :)

All my Portugal playthroughs have always been a blast.
Remember that Feitoras are extremely good and can make a desert city very nice.
Having a fleet of Naus first spreading the Feitoras to all city states and then specialize in raiding cities and kill ships will ensure sea dominance.

Naus are quite good and I don't feel like I used them to their full potential. At some point, I stopped building a navy because it's the land wars that I have to win against Sweden here. However, I do admit I'm having a blast and Portugal seems quite geared for war, though it's due to their abundance of Great Generals and Admirals.

Chapter 17: Endless Wars?
Spoiler I. A Brief Truce :

I can't keep the war going with the units I have as I did suffer some losses. I will agree to peace for now and take some gold in the process. The gold will be very nice since I have plenty of upgrades to do. Once I upgraded all of my Frigates near Seoul to Cruisers, I can dedicate more land units to defending elsewhere. I have a wider front now but I will also have a larger army to work with.
20181030235602_1.jpg

Spoiler II. The Portuguese Maginot Line? :

This is my defensive line that helped me wore down the Swedish offensive. Five Citadels were built in total and I still have two Great Generals to give my units an extra boost. I moved most of my units away now but, at its peak, I had lots of Gatling guns on the hills where they can shoot at any Swedish units that got too close. The Field Guns, with Indirect Fire, can just stay on the flatter terrain where they can do hell too. The Forts and Citadel just provided so much defensive bonuses to my units and I'm lucky Sweden didn't have a lot of Field Guns yet. The river also helped so, all in all, it was a patient battle where I rotated my Fusiliers whenever one got too low and couldn't heal enough despite having Medic or Medic 2 Gatling Guns adjacent. You should also note all the roads (not railroads) I've built. Those are extra maintenance but they allow my units to maneuver very effective. I don't know if this is ideal but it worked for me and it shows you what I did to beat an overwhelming force.
20181031232417_1.jpg

Spoiler III. Sweden Got Ideology :

Sweden got himself Autocracy so I'm expecting some terrifying battles ahead of us. I don't think I can keep defending with what I have because, once he gets Field Guns and such, my melee units are going to be torn to shreds. There are a few approaches where I actually active go on the attack but I'll still be overwhelmed eventually. If only if I can get more Field Guns with +1 range. Then, I'd be able to fend off Swedish Field Guns until I get Artillery unlocked. Then, nothing can stop me.
20181031233322_1.jpg

Spoiler IV. This is Quite Broken :

It's always wonderful when you can get all the spying down in a single turn. I shaved off 22 turns from completing three of these CS quests and that will grant me Riflemen. It's times like these that I miss having Authority. Those Foreign Legions are so nice and, once you get the momentum going, they pay for themselves with all of those city captures. I also forgot to mention that a critical aspect for my defense if my Zeppelin. It gave me vision of so much and also provided some support fire to finish off a wounded enemy unit.
20181031233800_1.jpg

Spoiler V. No More Tech Lead :

My tech lead is gone but I have different priorities than the AI. I know the AI tends to go for Corporation first but I'm going for military techs, at least that's what I remember myself doing. I want to beeline to Artillery as soon as possible because those will help me tremendously with city capture. Let's also not forget about the Machine Guns that will help me fend off so many units, especially once I get Logistics on a couple of them.
20181031233932_1.jpg

Spoiler VI. New Policy :

At this point, I don't see the remaining two policies as that stellar. As pointed out by my readers, I really should've went for Imperialism. At this point, there's no reason to have regrets because I should carry forward with my decision. It's always a good learning experience when you put yourself in a suboptimal situation and dig your way out. I do want to prove to myself that, even with Rationalism, I can still kick Sweden's behind and come out on top on my continent.
20181031235315_1.jpg

Spoiler VII. Curses...? :

I never expected the truce to last long as Sweden wants another piece of me. I guess losing four cities wasn't enough for him. I never thought he's be mad I took so few cities from him but he must realize that Portugal has grown stronger since the last time. Getting all those Wonders during the last war just shows you that I was busy with infrastructure. I also noticed, with my spies' help, that Sweden can still produce things quickly despite deficit unit supply. It's still an uphill battle from here on out.
20181101002528_1.jpg

Spoiler VIII. Portuguese Military Growing :

I've invested a lot into military production and it's certainly paying off. Sweden has the largest military but he's not that ahead of me. This time, we are going to have a grueling fight where I might go more on the offensive. The key word is might. Sometimes, the AI still does stupid things and I'll take full advantage of them. For the time being, all my newly conquered cities are heavily fortified and even Brussels gets a few of my units to support it.
20181101002549_1.jpg

Spoiler IX. Finishing Rationalism :

I didn't realize this but apparently Empiricism reduces the science penalty per owned city as well. I think that's a pretty big factor, at least larger than the extra science I'm getting while being happy. In addition, the lower effectiveness of enemy spies is nice too. The final policy, Academics, is only really benefiting my capital where the Great Works are located. I do notice a pretty big boost to my science but I won't be running away with it in terms of tech.
20181101113706_1.jpg

Spoiler X. Going Autocracy :

Autocracy is pretty much a must for me. I need the reduction in upgrade cost since I didn't go for Imperialism. The extra experience from units produced and for units in combat will all be stellar. I can't wait to upgrade Field Guns that have extra range and logistics. I'm prioritizing extra range first since Swedish units seem more hesitant to tackle me head on and I need to consistently get those units their promotions. I might share the same Ideology with Sweden but we are never going to be buddies, that's for sure.
20181101113852_1.jpg

Well, that's it for our update! Will I take more Swedish cities? :)

Roads for maneuvering are very powerful when defending fixed positions. On quick speed, armies move with workers to smooth the logistics. The dynamic is quite interesting and very different from Marathon.

Roads for maneuvering are very powerful when defending fixed positions. On quick speed, armies move with workers to smooth the logistics. The dynamic is quite interesting and very different from Marathon.

I find roads to be very vital to certain defenses, especially when you face a very powerful foe on Marathon. Often, I also find those roads to be useful as they allow me to transition into an attack more easily. My roads here will help me with future attacks but I have to whittle down the AI units a lot more.

Chapter 18: A Steady Grind
Spoiler I. First Tenet :

I have units to upgrade but, at the moment, I'm experience supply deficit so those upgrades are very expensive. What's a solution to this? I went with Military-Industrial Complex to let me upgrade units a bit faster without needing to stock up as much gold and risk the AI stealing them. At this point, I'm still trying to upgrade all of my Field Guns to Artillery because that extra range can make such a huge difference.
20181101113933_1.jpg

Spoiler II. Swedish Corporation :

I sometimes wonder what makes AIs choose their Corporation. Given the number of monopolies Sweden possesses, I'd imagine that he has quite a few options to pick from. I certainly didn't expect Sweden to go for more food when they clearly have other Corporations to pick from. I guess that will leave me many options to pick from but I won't be getting my Corporations for awhile.
20181101231522_1.jpg

Spoiler III. Demographics Update :

It was a long and steady grind but I've finally done it. Sweden went from first in Military ranking to third. I intend to take advantage of this and begin my counteroffensive. Fighting Sweden has been a very bloody affair and I can only imagine how much science and culture I'd rack up from the kills alone if I had picked Authority. For now, I just have the satisfaction of steadily winning the war.
20181101233202_1.jpg

Spoiler IV. Sweden Lost His Front Line? :

We all know Sweden likes to spam his siege units given his UA. However, I think I've dealt such a severe blow to his front line that his siege units are very vulnerable. I wish I got more Landships at this point or, at the very least, more Lancers because those units would make chasing down those Field Guns so much easier. I expect some losses in my counterattack but I don't think there will be a better opportunity than this.
20181101234558_1.jpg

Spoiler V. Push on All Fronts :

Once you whittle down the enemy units, I find attacking on multiple fronts to be quite effective. The AI usually tries to focus on certain locations so, by putting pressure everywhere, you can actually find weakspots in their defenses and exploit them. I took Lilybaeum with the help of my Artillery while also making progress with Daegu. In the meantime, I'm also attacking Espoo in the north where Swedish units can't reinforce very easily.
20181102000334_1.jpg

Spoiler VI. Russia Benefiting? :

I have to imagine that, while I'm fighting these gruesome wars with Sweden, Russia has to be benefiting quite a bit since I'm not producing much with my supply deficit and Sweden is just desperately trying to replace all the units he's lost (and failing of course). Russia has yet to conquer all of her neighbors so it's pretty obvious that there's still time. However, I'm not exactly making rapid progress against an AI that's still fighting back ferociously.
20181102001103_1.jpg

Spoiler VII. America Lagging Behind :

Being behind in tech isn't helping America at all as he's finally losing his core cities. Russia is just too ahead at this point and her units are certainly greater in quantity and quality at this point. I don't know how long America and Rome will last but I have a feeling that they won't last longer than Sweden. As much as I want to keep pushing forward against Sweden, the fact that he has Flight and will have bombers soon is a problem I can't ignore when I lack AA Guns and/or Triplanes.
20181102131340_1.jpg

Spoiler VIII. Taking a Swedish Core City :

I guess I'm fortunate that I have access to Swedish core cities as he has very few buffers between me and them. Espoo wasn't exactly an easy city to take given its high CS but my Artillery have been relentless in bombarding it four tiles away. I don't know if I have enough units to push towards Helsinki and such as my units are getting spread quite thin. We know what I'll be doing in time of peace then.
20181102132248_1.jpg

Spoiler IX. Sweden Should be Afraid :

With Elite Force, my units are going to get promotions faster and that can be quite massive. My Artillery still don't both both Logistics and +1 Range so I don't mind getting those sooner. There's nothing more terrifying than Artillery that you can't reach and can inflict heavy damage on you. A human player struggle with defending against these Artillery so you can only imagine how well the AI can fare against it without units like Bombers and total air supremacy.
20181102133120_1.jpg

Spoiler X. The Push Continues :

Daegu falls to me as I intend to take all Swedish cities in the south. It would be nice to not worry about multiple fronts if I can severely limit where his troops can attack. Once I reach the western coast, I will have my navy help support my city defense. It's obvious that I have the momentum going and there will be some air battles taking place. My Flight will be ready for the next war.
20181102134042_1.jpg

Well, that's it for our update! When will the war with Sweden end? :)

Chapter 19: Total War!!!
Spoiler I. Russia Went... :

Russia picked Freedom which seems like a fine Ideology. I feel like it's more geared towards Tradition civs but its tenets do seem to benefit a number of victory types. What this does determine is our eventual always hostile relations. I feel like sharing ideology is a huge relations boost while not sharing one is a huge relations malus. Regardless, Russia will be the end boss since she will soon conquer all of America and Rome resulting in all of her continent belonging to her alone.
20181102134054_1.jpg

Spoiler II. Keep the Momentum Going :

I don't think I want to stop the war until I actually see Swedish Bombers. Their Bombers are the only threat I have no answer to. Paratroopers can be annoying but the AI seem to just throw those units away like they're worthless. After all, they will be within range of so many Artillery and Machine Guns so the average lifespan of a Swedish Paratrooper is extremely short.
20181102134626_1.jpg

Spoiler III. Malaca Falls Next :

If you looked at the last screenshot, Sweden had plenty of units north of Malaca so it seems like Malaca was going to be heavily contested. The only issue they faced was the fact that I had Machine Guns which are merciless against a Lancer. Gatling Guns are already quite powerful but Machine Guns rip through those units like nothing, especially when a couple of mine had logistics too.
20181102184847_1.jpg

Spoiler IV. Multiple Corporations? :

I believe you can only get one Corporation per civ. Therefore, either the AI can cheat or I captured a Swedish city that had his first headquarters in. The only city that comes to mind is Espoo which might make sense. However, I wonder if this just eliminates another Corporation so, if this keeps going, does that mean that no more Corporations can be found? I guess I'll never know.
20181102191258_1.jpg

Spoiler V. Utique Was Next :

At this point, I just want a nice clean border to work with so I want to cut Sweden completely off from this region. I think I'll end the war after I secure the region because I'm starting to see Swedish air units in their cities. I don't know what they are but, considering that I haven't been attacked much, I assume they are Triplanes. Bombers are probably coming soon so I don't want to extend this war longer than I have to.
20181102191636_1.jpg

Spoiler VI. Splitting Continent in Half :

With the capture of Panormus, I have concluded a very successful campaign. Sweden doesn't do too well against my defenses which are greatly bolstered to deal with him specifically. While Sweden went for Corporation and Flight, I went after Ballistics that greatly improved my firepower by giving me Artillery which can be upgraded by my already overpowered Field Guns and Machine Guns that were simply wrecking any Swedish units.
20181102192348_1.jpg

Spoiler VII. Pitiful Peace Deal :

I guess taking puppets doesn't give you much war score because 48 seems extremely pathetic. I got some gold and, looking at Sweden's GPT, it doesn't seem like he's faring too well. While I did decisively won the war, Sweden didn't lose a ton in that war. The next war will be the deciding factor but I do think that we are now on more or less equal footing. It's going to be a bloody war but, unlike Sweden, I'll be preparing for it until our peace treaty ends.
20181102193057_1.jpg

Spoiler VIII. Russia Making Gains :

Rome is also steadily falling against Russia so I'm not terribly surprised in that aspect. Still, I want to give the AIs for Rome and America props for lasting as long as they did. I just cannot imagine what would happen if Russia had succeeded sooner in uniting that continent. Then, my biggest worry is Russia while I'm stuck being in these long attrition wars that requires lots of patience and few or no mistakes.
20181102231939_1.jpg

Spoiler IX. Total War :

At this point, Total War sounds about right for what my civ is going through. We are dedicating all of our resources into military production whether it's Triplanes, Bombers or other units we need to bolster our attacking force. Sweden might not know it but he's in for a rough time. Our front is much larger now and, unlike the previous war, I have every intentions to go full offensive. I'm at the stage where I can afford to do so, especially when my Artillery can support very effective at a safe distance.
20181102232118_1.jpg

Spoiler X. I'll Take the Prora Too! :

I doubt Sweden will need the Prora as he won't be doing much pillaging except for a handful of Swedish Paratroopers. I, on the other hand, will aim for a lightning warfare style. I will be finish Combined Arms soon so we get to see some Tanks that greatly excel at such a style. Infantry will also be a nightmare for him to deal with. I guess the only blessing is Sweden doesn't have to deal with Infantry that were promoted from Foreign Legion since I went Progress.
20181102232230_1.jpg

Well, that's it for our update! Will we see the finale against Sweden soon? :)

Chapter 20: Let's Finish This!
Spoiler I. New Tenet :

At this point, I don't think the rest of the tenets matter too much except for the Air Supremacy. I try to pick what I feel are decent but, overall, they all pale to how useful it is to have Airports in every single city. That makes moving units so much easier and suddenly your units can be transported over large distances. I honestly don't know if there's a set range for these transports like what we see with rebasing aircraft.
20181102232351_1.jpg

Spoiler II. Carthage Wiped Out! :

I'm sad to see Carthage go since she was a decent trading partner. Even with a single city, Carthage had decent GPT that helps fund my war effort against the big blue blob known as Sweden. Luckily, this blob is smaller now and I intend to make them even smaller until there's nothing left. After all, there's no vassalage so the only merciful thing is to wipe out Sweden completely.
20181102233018_1.jpg

Spoiler III. Getting More Delegates :

I'm still aware that I have to win the game and Diplomatic Victory seems the fastest to achieve. Domination might be fun but, after all that grinding with the wars against Sweden, I think I'd be happy to enjoy some peace for once. I already have a lot of delegates right now so I think I'm closing in on it. The fact that I got Autocracy means I can get more votes from each capital I control. It's obvious that, once Sweden is removed, I should be able to cruise to victory unless Russia gives me a hard time.
20181102233209_1.jpg

Spoiler IV. Rome Finally Collapses :

The fall of the Roman capital means that Russia should cruise to a victory in either this war or her next war. All those cities had fallen and there's little that can be done. I do love that many of those coastal Roman cities fell first and, in response to the losses, the Roman AI tried his best to annex San Francisco to hopefully recover from this. With these city placements I can only imagine the early struggles between America and Rome.
20181102235523_1.jpg

Spoiler V. New Tenet :

I'm closing in on my Air Supremacy Tenet to really make Sweden's life miserable. Can you imagine if my Artillery can be redeployed very quickly to wherever a city needs to fall? I'm saying that but the push is still slow. Sweden is certainly not going down without a fight and I can definitely respect that. However, it's clear that Sweden has dominated enough on my continent and it's time for a new empire to step in.
20181103004342_1.jpg

Spoiler VI. He Thinks So as Well :

It's clear that Sweden doesn't like the idea that the small peaceful coastal nation of Portugal has grown into a mighty empire. Not going Imperialism is just more salts to the wound. With his pride on the line, Sweden decides to attack hoping to turn things around. However, it's a bit too late now because my troops have been completely bolstered with some Triplanes supporting from the air. I expect the war to be somewhat swift compared to past wars.
20181103085611_1.jpg

Spoiler VII. RIP America :

Russia is merciless and completely removed America from the map. I was actually kind enough to let Austria thrive on her little island and still be a ruler. Russia probably removed India from play and now eliminated America. Rome is next and then I would say the poor CS that border her empire. Someone has to stop her and I think I'll do so by dominating all forms of diplomacy. She won't like it but such is life.
20181103093502_1.jpg

Spoiler VIII. Russia Going CV? :

With the number of cities Russia have and her bonuses, I can certainly see Russia going for a CV. However, it is funny that there were a few times where Russia stated that she can win a Diplomatic Victory when I clearly have more delegates. I hope Russia knows about something called Travel Ban that will certainly put a damper in her plans. The fact that we don't share an Ideology and no Open Borders will make her last hope of CV vanish.
20181103122038_1.jpg

Spoiler IX. One Step Closer to Stockholm :

Uppsala is the first to fall and, despite Sweden having Tanks of his own, he hasn't upgraded all of his Landship for this war. My Artillery are doing massive damage by supporting from afar. They might not do much to a Tank by themselves but 3 or 4 of them with extra range and Logistics means that at least one Tank will be blown to smithereens each turn. Even Sweden with all of his bonuses cannot possibly replace a Tank that quickly.
20181103122148_1.jpg

Spoiler X. Swedish Troops Routed :

Swedish Units are falling back to Stockholm and I was so tempted to nuke the capital. I was the first to complete the Manhattan Project so I have a Nuke. However, I don't like the idea of dealing with fallout as it does damage and I have plenty of troops. I just need proper deployment and send my units aggressive to keep Sweden off his toes. At this point, I will be able to bring my small navy to support as well like blockading the cities to speed up their demise.
20181103132226_1.jpg

Well, that's it for our update! How will our war with Sweden end? :)

Chapter 21: It's Done!!!
Spoiler I. Sweden is Hurting...A Lot!!! :

Sweden isn't faring too well as you can see with his happiness. I don't think I've seen that low of a number since my second VP game as Rome where I hit -40 happiness and decided that I can't recover from it. Don't be fooled by my lowish happiness because most of it is being dragged down by my newly conquered cities. Once they stop revolting, my happiness will go up. However, I can assure you that it will remain low for the rest of this update.
20181103134231_1.jpg

Spoiler II. Very Late Slater Mill! :

I expected this Wonder to go very quickly but apparently it's still available. I actually built it in Karelia, a former Carthaginian city that I "liberated" from Sweden and placed under my protection. It's not too shabby if the city can thrive under fair Portuguese rule. The Slater Mill should convince its citizens that living under my rule will promise prosperity as long as they keep working to keep our mighty war machine going.
20181103163813_1.jpg

Spoiler III. Sweden has Nothing Left :

My Artillery in the rear are just ripping through all Swedish units with such ease and that's without any of them possessing splash damage. I do prioritize extra range and Logistics so I might pick it up eventually. After all, I'm expecting a grueling war with Russia and she will be attempting a naval assault that will hopefully be halted by my Artillery bombardment. For now, Sweden will feel their full might.
20181103164104_1.jpg

Spoiler IV. Korea with a Death Wish :

On paper, it seems like a great idea to attack me while my units are busy with Sweden. However, what Korea doesn't know is that I'm in the process of cleaning up Swedish resistance and taking his cities as quickly as my happiness allows me. In the meantime, my important CS ally, Kuala Lumpar, has Riflemen who will easily deal with the backwards Korea. I don't mind seeing my CS ally get stronger at Korea's expense.
20181103165817_1.jpg

Spoiler V. Seas Cleared Too! :

Sweden once had a navy but now it's poor imitations of submarines as I sent the ships to their graves. With complete control of the seas, I'm able to fully blockade these coastal cities and they fall quite quickly. Sweden will soon be isolated if I wasn't already bombarding it with numerous Artillery. Nothing except for crashes in the game can save Sweden from my push to eliminate him for good (yes, you heard me :) ).
20181103174727_1.jpg

Spoiler VI. The Swedish Capital... :

Stockholm held out longer because it had the Red Fort but it's nothing with the units I'm fielding. If anything, it was a minor nuisance that delays his inevitable doom. Meanwhile, I'm also circling my units around to liberate the CS that Sweden unfairly enslaved and puppet/"liberate" any other cities that they own or conquered through their cruel brute strength. Our continent will be painted something other than blue soon.
20181103180017_1.jpg

Spoiler VII. No Stopping Me! :

In addition to the push in the north, I'm making a steady push from the south too and just isolating his cities and making them very vulnerable. I'm glad I built sufficient units because, at this point, I'm not stretched thin at all. Even my navy is chipping in by helping me taking the Carthaginian capital along with any other coastal cities. This war is certainly coming to a swift conclusion (though it takes forever to maneuver all of these units and redeploying my Triplanes to deal with enemy aircraft.
20181103180441_1.jpg

Spoiler VIII. Let's Speed this Up More :

With Air Supremacy, we will see my units moved even quickly. However, Tanks are proving to be very efficient in movement without any air lifts. They just move through the battlefield and easily encircle any landlocked cities to blockade it while my Artillery take no time at all to remove all the off from the Swedish cities. For some of those cities, I simply attack with my Tanks, pillage on the same turn to keep my units' health high, get some culture due to Prora, and speed up the fall of those cities.
20181103180812_1.jpg

Spoiler IX. Korea Gone Now :

Well, he did ask for it because I never intended on attacking Korea. He was mostly irrelevant and I wasn't going to waste time attacking him when Russia is the next biggest problem. Now, he will at least serve my loyal CS ally (I say loyal because I got SOI over it). I do wonder about a thing though. If I send a TR to Jeonju which is considered a TR to the CS along with Kuala Lumpar, will I get double the influence with that CS?
20181104004801_1.jpg

Spoiler X. The Conclusion of the Wars :

I said wars because Austria also declared war on me and I'm not so patient with her now. She goes with Korea to who knows where defeated civ leaders wait until maybe one of their cities get liberated eventually. Sweden is also eliminated from the map because I don't want to deal with him anymore. His proposals on WC and his presence annoyed me so there's only one way forward. Every single CS on my continent is liberated and they will be my closest allies. I can't believe my war with Sweden is over but it was quite a lengthy ride. He finally collapsed near the end and I went all the way. Now, there's still Russia...
20181104194032_1.jpg

Well, that's it for our update! Next update will be the last since my game crashed again due to me using my not so good laptop. However, the screenshots will show you the clear winner of this game if it continued onward. :)

You just outright eliminated Sweden? Nice. You could maybe have kept him around to vote for World Religion for you, though, if you happened to need a couple more delegates. Not sure how many delegates he'd have anyway.

Random thought, but in that last pic...does that Boarding Party promotion stack if you attack twice? I assume no, but can't hurt to ask.

Anyway, I assume that you have a Diplo Victory fairly clinched (assuming Russia didn't blow ahead in Science or something). Had you had Vassals on this would have been much easier, too easy perhaps, which is I suppose why you disabled it.

I am curious about one of the pics above, where Sweden had 7 Field Guns clustered up. How did you actually break through something like that? I would assume that Rifleman and probably a couple of other units got focus-fired to death.

I think this is a perfect game to show why conquest plays into Diplomacy, even without Vassals. You just killed off all City State competition right there.

You just outright eliminated Sweden? Nice. You could maybe have kept him around to vote for World Religion for you, though, if you happened to need a couple more delegates. Not sure how many delegates he'd have anyway.

Random thought, but in that last pic...does that Boarding Party promotion stack if you attack twice? I assume no, but can't hurt to ask.

Anyway, I assume that you have a Diplo Victory fairly clinched (assuming Russia didn't blow ahead in Science or something). Had you had Vassals on this would have been much easier, too easy perhaps, which is I suppose why you disabled it.

I am curious about one of the pics above, where Sweden had 7 Field Guns clustered up. How did you actually break through something like that? I would assume that Rifleman and probably a couple of other units got focus-fired to death.

I think this is a perfect game to show why conquest plays into Diplomacy, even without Vassals. You just killed off all City State competition right there.

Haha, Sweden is irrelevant and I'd rather eliminate him for good. As for World Religion, that extra single vote isn't going to be worth the trouble of keeping Sweden around. We'll see my delegates next update.

The Boarding Party promotion doesn't stack. That would be so OP in ancient era where your ships can't even move much and your ship would just stop moving or attacking due to no more movements left.

I planned on going for Diplo Victory but I wouldn't get a chance to see it on my screen as my laptop can't handle the very late game. As for vassalage, it makes the game so easy. I don't understand people who complain games are easy through conquest when they enable vassalage. When you have lots of vassals, something like Iron Fist is extremely OP since you can tax your vassals to oblivion with impunity. I definitely enjoy the challenge the game gives you when you can't have vassals.

With the Field Guns, I either didn't lose any units there or lost one Rifleman (I got Cover 2 on both of those that I sent forward). The AI is coded to withdraw its siege units when you have melee units are adjacent to it. The Field Guns will be moving away and won't all get a chance to fire at my units due to having only 2 range. Generally, I find their siege units tend to run away like crazy so their melee units like Lancers can move it. At this point, I can afford a loss or two but Sweden has lost far more as you can see.

With CS competition, I didn't really have any. Austria went Statecraft but she became irrelevant before she even got Statecraft. I stole all of Sweden's CS through SOI in the WC. However, I do agree that you often need conquest to win diplomatically since you can't defend your CS allies otherwise. Since I went Autocracy, I'll also get 2 votes per enemy capital I control so that's a bunch of extra votes too.

I tried this. You use Portugal because of the extra military supply from generals and admirals. I lost but I don't think its impossible, I just couldn't break through an Incan player with mountains.
I have the same idea, must try this :D

Hmm... Is it possible to play OCC Portugal and Vassal the world?

Unless you are annexing cities, that sounds quite impossible. How would you keep up in production on one city to wage the wars needed?

I tried this. You use Portugal because of the extra military supply from generals and admirals. I lost but I don't think its impossible, I just couldn't break through an Incan player with mountains.

I have the same idea, must try this :D

Haha, I'm still curious how this works because you get finite number of both Great General and Great Admiral along with limited CS quests that gives you Great General points. Keeping those vassals from rebelling will be tough until you get Iron Fist. At that point, you should have a very heavily promoted army and meet few opposition. Of course, this depends heavily on your neighbors and the map you're using. If anyone tries this, I wish you best of luck. My recent OCC game left me with a very bad taste for sure.

War score act really weird in the lastest patch for OCC. In my Byzantium game, Im sure I killed a lot of enemy units, but I still have very big negative score?

War score act really weird in the lastest patch for OCC. In my Byzantium game, Im sure I killed a lot of enemy units, but I still have very big negative score?

It was weird for me and I play 10-10 version. There was no combat but, for whatever reason, my opponent has 20 warscore already.

Top Bottom