1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Imperial Japanese Units

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Unit Graphics' started by Chuggi, Aug 30, 2008.

1. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

2. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

The cavalry didn't turn out quite how I hoped it would (had trouble re-boning it) .. how does it look?

Attached Files:

3. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

From the screenshot it looks good Chuggi... but I wonder about the bayonette... cavalry didn't use them to my knowledge...it's more dangerous to the horse then to the enemy. I think the bayonette should be removed.

4. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

Ok, I might give him a sword instead.

5. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

No... don't do that... he'll stick out like a sore thumb... 99.9% of all Cavalry in Civ4 use rifles... I know sword use is common in cavalry, but for the sake of uniformity in Civ4, I think you're just best-off using the usual rifle approach.

6. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

No, I meant as a side arm - a sword in a sheath. :lol: But a cool idea could be to have one of the cavalry in the group using a sword, and the others using rifles. It would add some variety.

7. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

Ahhh... yes... sword in sheath is fine (Samurai sword, I assume)... thought you meant the waving-overhead kind.

I would ditch the bayonet on the rifle though... that's strictly and infantry weapon.

8. DWOLF

DWOLF Death Before Dishonor

these are pretty good Chuggi.

9. Buddy3101

Buddy3101 Warlord

Cool. Really good work :goodjob:

10. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

Thanks. :)

I've decided to redo the cavalry because of the rigging problems, so when that's finished I'll upload it and the updates for the rifleman and machinegunner.

11. Laurencius

Laurencius Just a tourist.

Good stuff! I look forward to seeing them in your Cultural Diversity Mod, which is my favorite mod, by the way. I have not patched to 3.17 just so I can play CDM. :goodjob:

Did I lay it on too thick?

12. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

Thanks! :) Maybe a little.

CDM is on hold for the moment, because I don't have much time. :( But I'll still try and get a new release uploaded, maybe not for a while though.

I attached the fixed texture for the Japanese units to this post (finished it a while ago but my internet has been down). So they now have the corrected legging/shoes. I'll fix the main download later on.

EDIT : DOWNLOAD IS FIXED. ENJOY. :)

(attachment removed)

13. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

Hey Chuggi... think you could toss-in a Cannon unit using the Rifleman's uniform? That would complete the set.

14. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

I have a cannonier, but trust me, you don't want it. It's like a fat little man with his head squashed over one side. I also have a grenadier with one of the more traditional asian hats, but something didn't look right about him either. I plan on fixing these sometime..

Also, I forgot to mention, the guys here have the stockings and everything in the download now, no more white gumboots.

15. The_Coyote

The_Coyote Emperor

have you copy pasted your model to the cannon nif (linking to the bones of the cannonier nif)? If yes had a similar effect trying to use models as cannonier in my cannons, used a method of bone transplant (the model is still linked to the transplanted bones), repositionate the transplanted bones, editing some vertices in nifscope and scaling bones to "solve" the problem and i think it´s acceptable.

Ok better than only posting how, linked your japanese rifleman to one of my civil war cannons, it´s not 100% perfect in nifscope (the stand is to short), but i think in game it looks ok (and btw your rifleman is really good :) ). If you prefer the standard cannon it should be enough to exchange the models in the nif

Attached Files:

16. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

Wow, thanks Coyote, that is way better than what I had. I'll see if I can do some more to it in Nifskope.

I also like the civil war cannon, anyone have any idea what sort of cannons the Japanese used? I did a search but the best I could find was some Japanese WWII artillery. I don't like the default, however, it looks too "Napoleonic" and "European".

17. Wolfshanze

Wolfshanze CFC Historian

You need to look-up the Meiji restoration of Japan... Emperor Meiji is the guy who brought Japan out of the isolation of the Shogunates and modernized Japan based on western standards... the Riflemen and Cavalry you depicted (and as depicted in the movie "The Last Samurai") are direct results of Emperor Meiji, and they are the soldiers of his army.

Anyways, the cannons would be similar to Civil War cannons like Coyote used...

Here's a picture from 1882:

P.S.
    Thanks Coyote and Chuggi for completing this set... it's a really nice set.

18. Chuggi

Chuggi Espada

Thanks for the pics and info, wolf, I'll see what I can do with the it.

19. The Capo

The Capo godless Heathen

Does anybody know where I can get the Japanese Cavalry chuggi made? Believe it or not I'm using it to make Irish units.

EDIT: NM, I'm an idiot, I found it.

20. Hephaistion

Hephaistion Warlord

I LOVE the Japanese Cavalry :goodjob:

That's why it breaks my heart that there's something a little funny with the animation. When the cavalry shoot, the muzzle and breach flashes don't really line up with the rifle and look kind of odd. Something to do with the different rifle you're using? The cavalryman doesn't level his rifle all the way when firing from the shoulder like the vanilla cavalry does.

Is this normal, or just me? Anything that can be done about it?