Imperialism question

The Fool King

Chieftain
The way Militarism works is pretty straightforward, but after two games I am still unsure how Imperialism works.

From the description I would have assumed that when I switch to Imperialism I get 1 stability point for every city (newly aquired since the last time I was in Imperialism) in an unstable province. So I'd then use Militarism in war time and Imperialism in peace times.

However that doesn't seem to be the case. With my newly enlarged empire I switch to Imperialism and I do not get a single stability point.

Did I misunderstand the description?

Help is appreciated.

The stability effect is calculated when aquiring a city, not owning it. Just like stabilty buildings give boost when constructing, not owning.

The stability effect is calculated when aquiring a city, not owning it. Just like stabilty buildings give boost when constructing, not owning.

Hmm, that would mean you get penalized for having that wonder that automatically gives you walls and castles in conquered cities (because you don't get the stability bonus from those castles then)?

Not sure, but I think they are "constructed" as you claim the city.

And another question while I'm getting so much help: ;)

During the game the conditions needed for a domination victory keep going up: The round in which I finally reached the required 26% landmass my vassal collapsed and I now needed 30%. What are the numbers conditional on? The number of civs left maybe?

From the description I would have assumed that when I switch to Imperialism I get 1 stability point for every city (newly aquired since the last time I was in Imperialism) in an unstable province. So I'd then use Militarism in war time and Imperialism in peace times.
With imperialism you get +1 stability for every city you own that is not in your stable territory. It doesn't matter when and how you aquired the cities. But you never get more than +6 stability this way.
The limit was introduced around a year ago.

Not sure, but I think they are "constructed" as you claim the city.
ezzlar is right. With Krak de Chevalier you also get the stability point for free.

That limit is kind of disappointing, six cities isn't much of an empire.

That limit is kind of disappointing, six cities isn't much of an empire.

Well that's 6 cities outside stable and ok. So for example in my Russia game, the only ones that count is one of the polish cities I got and Byzantium (still not great at all). So if you plan on doing things outside of the box, pick Imperialism. (Militarism is wayyy better!)

Also if you conquer a city with militarism, you get a perma stability boost right? But if I got rid of militarism do I still keep that boost?

Also if you conquer a city with militarism, you get a perma stability boost right? But if I got rid of militarism do I still keep that boost?

I switched from Militarism to Imperialism after the war and the stability didn't change at all, so I guess, like all boosts it's a one time thing.

I still think Imperialism is somewhat useless. Consider how rarely you actually switch civics due to the stability penalties of anarchy (unless you have Paco de Ribeira ... which is kind of a must have). I hate that so much micromanagement comes with managing stability: like always having to look out for looters (you are always going to miss sth somewhere) and constantly having to stop and start city growth.

I love the concept of stability but the actual workings often seem very arbitrary to me.

I switched from Militarism to Imperialism after the war and the stability didn't change at all, so I guess, like all boosts it's a one time thing.

I still think Imperialism is somewhat useless. Consider how rarely you actually switch civics due to the stability penalties of anarchy (unless you have Paco de Ribeira ... which is kind of a must have). I hate that so much micromanagement comes with managing stability: like always having to look out for looters (you are always going to miss sth somewhere) and constantly having to stop and start city growth.

I love the concept of stability but the actual workings often seem very arbitrary to me.

Perhaps change Imperialism to based on number of cities? (to counter Merchant Republic)
+1 stability for over 10 cities?

You mean +1 stability for every city over 10?

Hmm. I'm still unsure. I'd probably still use Militarism if I wasn't done carving out an empire out of my neighbour's territory - after all I still get 1 point for every city. It's kind of hard to find a niche that Imperialism would be useful for.

Tell you what though, I'd make Colonialism give 3, maybe even 5 points for every colony instead of just the one and up Vassalism from 3 to 5 points as well - as they are now I have never ever used them because them just seemed underwhelming.

Hmm .... Imperialism .... how about an additional stability point for every dungeon? Dungeon is sth I have also never built because of the unhealthiness.
Or add some other building midgame that gives you 1 additional stability point in Imperialism but also +25% war weariness. That would certainly make Imperialism an alternative to Militarism at some point in the game. "You have established your empire, it becomes more stable ... unless you start warring again" or something along those lines.

Or maybe something like a Stability boost building that needs a number of cities/buildings similar to a cathedral only available to Imperialism users. Like a Provincial Palace, for every X cities (or Courthouses, why not?) that gives a +Y Stability Bonus.

I'm still not sure how the Imperialism works nowadays, but with Militarism things seem to work much better (or maybe is just the option Feudal Monarch + Vassalage + Serfdom + State Religion + Manorialism + Militarism better in stability then Divine Monarch + Religious Law + Apprenticeship + Guilds + Organized Religion + Imperialism, but I don't understand how this works either). So I have no clue, but as soon as I make the civic changes, I see I was better with the previous combination.

Top Bottom