Importance of religion per leader

black213

Emperor
Remember in civ 4 where Isabella either loved or hated you, only depending on your religion? I wish to see the same in gods and kings. So I've been thinking about which leaders find religion more important or less.
I came up with 3 different levels of religion's importance to certain leaders: low, medium and high.

Leaders with low importance of religion only get slightly happier or angrier, depending on your religion. +10/-10 diplo bonus or penalty. Examples of leaders could be Catherine or Wu Zetian (representing there being no state religion and only atheism in USSR and Mao's China).

Medium would be +20/-20 diplo bonus or penalty. More noticeable than low in attitude. Examples of leaders could be most of European leaders, especially central Europe. You could still possibly maintain friendly relations without the same religion.

And for last but not least, high. +40/-40 diplo bonus or penalty. Slightly higher than DOFs or denouncitations (+30/-30 diplo bonus/penalty IIRC). Examples: Isabella, Montezuma and Harun al-Rashid.

I've now categorized the leaders in each of the three levels. I wanted to keep an equal number of all three levels, but it seemed to be hard to do and at the same time keep it feel logical. So give me some feedback!

•Low importance of religion
China
Germany
Huns
Iroquois*
Mongolia*
Netherlands*
Polynesia
Russia
Sweden**

•Medium importance of religion
Austria
America
Carthage*
Celtica
Denmark
Egypt*
England
France
Greece
Japan*
Ottoman*
Rome*

•High importance of religion
Arabia
Aztec
Babylon*
Byzantium
Ethiopia
Inca
India
Maya
Persia*
Siam
Spain
Songhai*

* = Not sure about these
** = Sweden has high amounts of atheist population although Sweden used to be highly religious

Siam is highly religious (98-99% Theravada Buddhists), but it has been highly tolerant of other religions. I remember during my field trip to Ayutthaya that it was mentioned that when the Catholic and Jesuits came to Siam, the kings actually helped to sponsor the construction of some of the missions, churches and settlements. In any case there have been many attempts to convert Thailand to Christianity

The lack of other religions is more because of a failure of the missionaries rather than an oppression of the other religions.

I'd advocate a move for Siam from High to Medium or even Low Importance

I'm pretty sure something like that IS going to be, because in Vanilla files, an entry "Religion" is present for flavors in each civ, so I'm assuming that depending on how high or low, their view on Religion will affect how much they mind your religion, and how aggressive they are about it (about squashing, making it, spreading it, etc)

Top Bottom