Impressions so far from new gameplay videos

yeah its the topic of the thread what are yours now

That this is a month old build that is an unfinished piece of software in a beta stage with blugs, glitches and turn-oned background debug tools to analyse issues and data. :mischief:

I.e - this ain't finished.

I'm very impressed with the new gameplay mechanics.

I'm a bit concerned that 4 hours on a faster than standard game speed, nobody seemed to have gotten past turn 80. Unless I'm misunderstanding how these videos were made.

Another thing that I noticed are the borders. They are still blocky - and they do not look as awesome as in Civ V.

Another thing that I noticed are the borders. They are still blocky - and they do not look as awesome as in Civ V.

Well to be fair, borders aren't typically rounded, they change shape when they're beside a river/coast, but most real life borders are actually straight lines, it's Civ 5 that rounded those edges.

I'm indifferent, but I do despise is the minimap. First of all, I like my political maps where you don't see a civ's territory on water tiles on minimaps like in Civ 3 and 5. Hated minimaps in Civ 4.

And second of all, unrevealed territory should be darker tone because in all the videos I could not tell apart what was revealed and what wasn't.

Over all I am impressed and excited to see more. My biggest issue with Civ V is the late game and the long turn times.

My game settings are to have the very largest map and half of the recommended civs on that map to allow for expansion of empires. In Civ V on humongous maps you would eat memory and cpu resources like candy and thus I would get hangs and long turn times.

If those issues are addressed (and its 64bit and multi threaded) than it is likely I will lose my job and be found emaciated and dying from continuous game play! :twitch::twitch::twitch:

Yeah, but leaders should be fully voiced, which seems not to be the case. Eh... there is always something that...

I fully expect them to be voiced in the final version. In the stream version of the game, Sean Bean hadn't even voiced any of the culture techs (whatever they're called) yet.

"Culture Techs" are still called Civics. It's called the Civics Tree. Each Civic unlocks various things; Policies, Governments, Buildings and Districts. Possibly other things, too.

I've watched several videos and must say I'm impressed overall. I think the city state interactions, tech/culture trees and the system for government and civics all strike me as major improvements over Civ 5.

On a side note: I see that Lisbon is a city state, so .... no Portuguese civ for 6?

Impressed overall from what I've read (too busy to watch). One gripe I have is that religion seems to be too much like it was in V... I'm not too happy about religious combat and victory. It seems like they're making religion too big/useful... Should be a small bonus. It just seems too weird for religion to be that relevant late game (and since it has its own victory, I doubt it'll lose utility late game). Religion helped Rome expand and conquer, but I don't think that applies to modern civilization.

Well to be fair, borders aren't typically rounded, they change shape when they're beside a river/coast, but most real life borders are actually straight lines, it's Civ 5 that rounded those edges.

I'm indifferent, but I do despise is the minimap. First of all, I like my political maps where you don't see a civ's territory on water tiles on minimaps like in Civ 3 and 5. Hated minimaps in Civ 4.

And second of all, unrevealed territory should be darker tone because in all the videos I could not tell apart what was revealed and what wasn't.

I agree with all of this.

I fully expect them to be voiced in the final version. In the stream version of the game, Sean Bean hadn't even voiced any of the culture techs (whatever they're called) yet.

Same, and the same goes for the animations. They'll link back to the neutral pose, I'm sure.

Unless someone actually in the industry, I assume that aesthetics features are often left as the last thing to get added in because.. well they don't change the gameplay that much.

Movement seems confusing, I still haven't quite understood how it works. I've seen that you need to have 2 movement points in order to enter a tile that costs 2 points, but there's still stuff that I haven't understood how it works - rivers and the such.
I hope I can get the hang of it quickly enough once I get to play it.

It isn't too complex. Basically, any 'rough' terrain costs 2 MP. Crossing a river, navigating a forest, etc. is all 'rough' but a bridge or a road will make it easy (the better the road the less MP).

I'm very impressed with the new gameplay mechanics.

I'm a bit concerned that 4 hours on a faster than standard game speed, nobody seemed to have gotten past turn 80. Unless I'm misunderstanding how these videos were made.

Its a first(ish) time through so there is a LOT more to read which slows the play down considerable. As well, there were there with devs and other players so it wasn't just 100% playtime as there would be some talking and discussing going on.

I am sure a week in it will be much easier to move through the game.

In the animation process, they usually get the voice work done first before they animate so they can match the actions to the expressions, it's a bit more of a hassle to do it the other way around. So at this point in time, they are either not done recording the voice lines and are going to work on animations up until release (though it's quite a tight schedule for animating, especially considering the difficulty of getting good voice actors for certain languages), or they are not going to fully voice every line of dialogue for leaders.

On another note, the only thing that annoys me so far about the game are the darn inverted colours on the borders! I know it's not going to stop tripping me up whenever I see the mismatch between the city banner, civ icon, and the borders themselves. At least it's just a minor gripe that can be fixed with a quick mod :lol:

Ed said the borders have changed since this build.

Shapes? I thought he talked about colors.

No, they will not be voiced. We read their answers and when we reply they make some small facial expression. This is how they are designed. But I believe in Civ V it was the same.

But it seem there will be less voicing this time, and more visual expression.

I like how they express their emotions on their faces. There are seperate scenes that load up when necessary (voiced and unvoiced).

i like the music and that there are spaces of no music playing. i like the art style, especially the icons including research icons, and the strategic map looks excellent. kind of underwhelmed with the tech tree though since it's so similar to CiV but maybe that will change when i actually play the game. civic tree looks cool though especially the government mechanics

i am guessing this game is going to be very unbalanced on launch but i will still get it anyway

No, they will not be voiced. We read their answers and when we reply they make some small facial expression. This is how they are designed. But I believe in Civ V it was the same.

They don't say the exact text, but they often say a relevant phrase.

"Go on."
"Absolutely not."
"What brings you here today?"

And the like. This was how it worked in V as well.

They don't say the exact text, but they often say a relevant phrase.

"Go on."
"Absolutely not."
"What brings you here today?"

And the like. This was how it worked in V as well.

Yes, indeed, but I haven't seen them saying those short phrases yet. But I have seen a denouce screen, and no. There is not even a lip sync.

Top Bottom