Improving Strategy&Tips by Smiling

frob2900

Deity
Well, the title of this thread might be slightly mystifying, but the intention of this post is as advertised.

The issue is smileys, or more specifically the nice strategic smileys (e.g. :food: :commerce: etc.) that we all use in our posts. I feel that the addition of a few more of such smileys could be very useful in all our discussions on strategy.

Off the top of my head I came up with the following candidates for potential Civ IV specific smileys:
  • Resource Icons (important now with the addition of corporations in BtS)
  • Espionage point icon
  • Religion Icons
  • Small size icons for great people (reduces the need to type Great Prophet etc. and reducess confusion between GP=Great Prophet or Great Person etc.)
  • Unhappiness and happiness icons (ok, standard smileys can be used, but add a risk of confusion)
Perhaps some of these are slightly superfluous (e.g. is typing "Espionage Point" or "EP" such a large issue etc.) but since the icons for food and hammers and such do seem to be in general usage, people must feel they are more convienient.

I don't know exactly what the official CFC line is on new smilies, but if they ever do get around to adding some, it would make sense to get some more game specific ones.

I've added the suggestions above to the thread on Smiley Addition in the Site Feedback forum: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=189830&page=42
but maybe if there is enough interest here, it might be useful to compose a humble request to the higher-ups about the issue.

Also, I apologize to those that feel that this post is neither a Strategy nor a Tip, but nevertheless it pertains to this forum so I though it was suitable for posting.

If you feel this was unnecessary I'll end off by saying "Sorry" and let you get back to debating about cottages, lightbulbs and SoDs ;)

Me too.
Especially the ressource icons.

We could definitely use GP, religions ( this ones would be easy, methinks) and resouses smileys. And you got a point about GP = Great Prophet/Great Person thing ( I already bumped in that one :blush: ).
May I add one suggestion? Victory types smileys....

I agree. With one-click you can describe something in a way that is instantly recognizable.

Top Bottom