In Civ4, what Asian Empire is the greatest?

I'm playing as the Chinese, and I'm winning, so I think they are pretty great. :thumbsup:
I chose Mao (EXP, PRO) as my leader, +2 health means you might not have to bother with aqueducts early, and double speed granaries get your cities going that little bit faster. Succesful Cho-Ko-Nu get a zillion first strikes with the Drill line, and make good candidates to upgrade to Rifles. :)

Except that the Persians are a Middle-Eastern civ, not Asian.

The middle east is a continent :confused:? Looks like Persia's within Asia to me.

In civ IV the strongest Asian civs are Persia and India. Great UUs, strong leaders, decent UBs.

Mongolia is very one dimensional but potentially ridiculous.

If the thread's title is "The greatest Asian Empire", then I think he means civilizations in the Far East, not in the Middle East. The Middle East isn't a continent, but it's an area in the world with it's own culture and habits, that is totally isolated from The Far East. Am I an idiot if I mean that Middle Eastern civilizations should not be mentioned here? An why are everyone mentioning civilizations like Poland, Denmark and Canada, that even don't exist in Civ4?

I neither like China, Korea, Mongolia nor Khmer, but India has a great UU and UB. Sometimes a little bit unfairly great.

Are we defining Asian by ethnicity or continent? And if we are talking about continents are we defining them geographically or geologically?

I don't like oriental civs besides Mongolia because they all have protective.

The Khmer do not, and get my second place vote after Korea among the "orientals." People are too obsessed with powerful unique units, IMO, and overlook the always useful but never dominating abilities.

I think Vietnam is awsome too. You've defeated USA army and films about wars based on Vietnam is the most films presented by Hollywood.

Op-Ed said:
Uh, just because USA chose not to nuke Vietnam off the face of the planet doesn't mean Vietnam defeated them. Most Global Power vs. Smaller Country wars end due to political divisions preventing the larger nation from truly committing to a course of victory (ie they defeat themselves). Rome was the last Global Power with the will to execute war, even so, they finally fell to squabbling and infighting over leadership. Global Powers since then have been the proverbial "clay mixed with iron". They have strength but no cohesion to effectively use it.

Back to OP:

Persia (they are asian and oriental).

No love for the Ottomans?
After the Persians I'd say they are the strongest Asian civ gameplay-wise.

I would put them *just* behind India. Ottoman UB is certainly better, but the Indian UU is better and consistently influential. Possibly on marathon I'd flip them.

Good as Jans are, using them on higher difficulties is not too easy, it's a small window and unlike oromos you can't carry their unique benefits through upgrades.

So it's the early :) of hammam vs jail vs the UU differential...it IS hard to make the call though.

Marathon does make the fast worker weaker and the musketman (and, consequently, the unique versions) stronger.

well, there aren't so many asian civs. but
* do u ask culturally ? ottoman is more asian than byzantine and rome
* do u ask by means of territory? if so, rome, greece and byzantine were asian as much as ottomans. anyway, let'S don't think european civs as asian just bec they had some territory in asia, then

by means of power;
1) persia
2nd-3rd are india and ottomans, they may replace places according to settings and map type.

another issue might be this;
which asian civ does AI play best? IMO; Khmers.

Sealand.

Top Bottom