1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

In depth look at the WBS file

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Modding Tutorials & Reference' started by Dale, Oct 31, 2005.

1. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Or in world builder just click on the "change all plots" icon and select ocean. ;)

2. Feet

Feet Chieftain

That doen't actually work all that well. You can still see the land that was there from the randomly generated map you started with under the ocean...

Unless this disappears after you reload your wbs file, I didn't try that...

3. arthoggz

arthoggz Chieftain

hey i couldn't get the world builder file out of the zip thingy. so could u e-mail me the instructions of world builder with a file that i can acually open?

4. hajmyis

hajmyis Chieftain

I konw this pisses me off, i click change all plots to ocean but i still the what the map used to like just in ocean form......there are still mountians and hills to be seen...grrrr i wish there was still a map edtior like civ 3 had

5. Dale

Dale Chieftain

To avoid the funny ocean after deleting land you simply save the WBS, then reload.

6. Hemperor

Hemperor Chieftain

Hey Dale you mentioned random events in one of your tutorials.

I was wondering how I may mod them in.

7. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Python scripting.

8. MSTK

MSTK Chieftain

I don't have much to say here except that this tutorial is extremely awesome. To the extreme.

The hip lingo aside, I'd like to thank you alot. I'll be using this guide quite often in my future ventures.

9. don_lahnum_jr

don_lahnum_jr Chieftain

How do I modify the leaders traits? I would like to get a leader with Ind/Phi.

10. kswoll

kswoll Chieftain

Hi Dale, don't know if you can help me. I'm in the process of writing a map generator program and I'm using all the info xml files to populate the combos for the various world builder options. Except for the calendar entries, I was able to find descriptions for all the entries in one of the text xml files in the Assets/Text directory. For the calendar entries, their description is: TXT_KEY_CALENDAR_DEFAULT, TXT_KEY_CALENDAR_YEARS, TXT_KEY_CALENDAR_TURNS, etc. Usually, strings like this appear in those text files so we can extrapolate a useful description. i.e. Right above the calendar entries in CIV4BasicInfos.xml, is TXT_KEY_CONCEPT_WONDERS which can be found in CIV4GameTextInfos_Objects.xml and resolves to "Wonders" in english. However, searching for the string TXT_KEY_CALENDAR_DEFAULT anywhere in the Assets directory comes up with only one hit: the original reference in CIV4BasicInfos.xml. So, any idea where to find the description for the calendar entries?

11. Dale

Dale Chieftain

Okay, the calendar entries:

- DEFAULT: Hardcoded. You can't change this one.
    - YEARS: Hardcoded. Actually just converts the gameturn to a date in the display.
    - MONTHS: Civ4BasicInfos.xml
    - SEASONS: Civ4BasicInfos.xml

You can create a custom calendar too by defining it in Civ4BasicInfos.xml same as MONTHS or SEASONS. I created a custom calendar for my Age of Discovery scenario where there's only Summer and Winter. I defined it through Civ4BasicInfos.xml.

Dale

12. Junuxx

Junuxx Chieftain

Thanks Dale, your guide has been an extremely useful resource for figuring out how my program could generate wbs files :goodjob:

13. kswoll

kswoll Chieftain

Thanks for the reply Dale.

14. starbolt

starbolt Chieftain

Just save to desktop as a .html file and use your browser.

My javascript_foo would not allow me to handle the radio buttons I wanted to do, so you have to type things out yourself. Sorry.

---

<html>

<head>
    <script language=javascript>
    function Create_Summary()
    {
    document.test.history.value = "";
    for (var j=0; j < document.test.y_coord.value; j++)
    {
    for (var i=0; i < document.test.x_coord.value; i++)
    {
    var block = "BeginPlot\n\t" + "x=" + i + ",y=" + j + "\n\tTerrainType=";
    block += document.test.terrain.value + "\n\tPlotType=";
    block += document.test.pl_type.value + "\nEndPlot\n";
    document.test.history.value += block;
    }
    }
    }
    </script>
    </head>

<body>

<form name="test">

<table>
    <tr>
    <td align=right>Width:&nbsp;</td>
    <td>
    <input type=text name="x_coord" size=4 maxlength=4 onblur='Create_Summary();'>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td align=right>Height:&nbsp;</td>
    <td>
    <input type=text name=y_coord size=4 maxlength=4 onblur='Create_Summary();'>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td align=right valign=top>Terrain:&nbsp;</td>
    <td>
    <input type=text name=terrain size=20 maxlength=20 onblur='Create_Summary();'><br>
    examples include TERRAIN_OCEAN
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td align=right valign=top>Terrain:&nbsp;</td>
    <td>
    <input type=text name=pl_type size=1 maxlength=1 onblur='Create_Summary();'><br>
    0=>mountain<br>
    1=>hilly<br>
    2=>flat<br>
    3=>below sea level<br>
    </td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td colspan=2>&nbsp;</td>
    </tr>
    <tr>
    <td colspan=2 align=center>
    <textarea name="history" cols=40 rows=21 wrap></textarea>
    </td>
    </tr>

</table>

<INPUT TYPE="button" NAME=".defaults" VALUE="CLEAR" onclick="document.test.history.value='';">

</form>

</body>
    </html>

15. Junuxx

Junuxx Chieftain

...Or you use the program in my signature... :)

16. NickSD

NickSD History nerd

How do I create a scenario?

Then how do I get into its XML?

Sorry, old school civ3er here. total newb.

17. Exavier

Exavier Destroyer of Worlds

Here is a question i have been searching every thread i can think of and haven't found an answer.

I am trying to make a multiplayer map. I have the map in a working condition but is there a way to randomize the start location? Basicly i set 8 start locations and it will randomly place the players there, like any other stratagy game does.

I ask because atm everyone spawns in the same spot all the time. and personally i get sick of starting in the same spot on the map :p

18. wotan321

wotan321 Chieftain

When I open up the builder and am editing a unit, I notice you can change the promotions and experience points. At the bottom is a box for "Script". What is that "Script" about?

Thanks for any light you can shed on that subject.

19. Arne

Arne Chieftain

How are
    and

connected? I want to make a map with fixed starting positions but nothing else fixed. There are some "problems":

1. I don't see a way, how to place starting locations without determine leaders. The way I worked out, the leader names and civ names are in German now for all Civ4-versions. I don't want to make also a English, French, Italian, Spain... version of a simple map WBS file. Any hints?

2. How exactly is game lenght defined? I want to make it possible, to choosing the N° of turns, game speed and so on by the player of that map themself, not by me (the creator of that map). I allready set Speed=NONE, there is no "Victory" line, no "Max Turns", only "world size" is still defined "standard". (here is the file, if you want to have a look) But one player today reported, the game still will be finished in renaissance-"age". Now I don't know why. Any help? :crazyeye:

20. artemisarrow

artemisarrow Chieftain

dale, on the tutorial u made for making a senario... the ivory color key isnt working when using it on bmp coverting to map... how can i fix this, no ivory appears on my map in the game.. thank u