In-Game Animations Stuttering

QES

Court Jester
I did look around for this, I did not find what I was looking for. (Nor does the internet seem to have this issue logged anywhere.)

Occasionally, when playing Civ 5, the Unit animations, Camera Movement (if panning), and other "mobile" effects in the game will stutter or sputter. The little circle that goes around a unit is a perfect example. The little mark will sputter and stutter as it travels around the circle surrounding the unit, not like the normal smooth movement it ought to take. Animal resource animations will also look epileptic (the foxes of the furs resource, or elephants of the ivory resource, for example).

Closing the program and starting it up again does not seem to help. I lowered all my graphical settings to easier loads, and at first, this did help. But then the stuttering started up again in a later game. As it is, my graphics settings dont seem to matter much.

I should note, when this ISNT happening, it will not happen at all for the remainder of a game, it if happens at all, it happens immediately on turn one, and will happen even if the program is saved, closed, and reopened. (New Games also seem to have the problem once it begins in the program). The only solution i've noticed is to reboot my computer - but that might be coincidental, I am uncertain.

I have attempted to update what drivers I thought i needed to, and my computer is within the specs. I'm at a loss for what this might be.

Also - there are random red dots throughout the world, usually in tundra, looks like where "snow" might ought to be. They're bright red, and others have reported them, but I saw no consistency with those reports. They're minor and unintrusive (if anti-immersive) but I wondered if maybe this wasnt linked to the graphical issue above.

Thanks for anyone who might be a genius and help a fool out.

EDIT: I should note that the stuttering makes the game wholly unplayable. It's too annoying by far. It's a crippling amount, not occasional once it starts.

What video card are you using, and which DX mode?

DirectX 9
Windows XP

AMD Athalon 62 X2 Dual
Core Processor 4200+
2.21 GHz, 3.00 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250

I just wanted to point out that I have had the exact same problem, but following the instructions in this thread helped a lot. It's still not completely fixed, but it is noticeably better.

Here are my system specs (DX9 mode):

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Core i7 920 (2.67 GHz)
12GB Ram
Nvidia GTS 250
Hell, I even put my page file on my SSD.

My computer should crush this game...

Seconded :D

@Mwellrett: you should try out the DX10/11, I have a card with the same principle architecture, and it runs better in DX11 than in DX9 :)

I just wanted to point out that I have had the exact same problem, but following the instructions in this thread helped a lot. It's still not completely fixed, but it is noticeably better.

Here are my system specs (DX9 mode):

Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Core i7 920 (2.67 GHz)
12GB Ram
Nvidia GTS 250
Hell, I even put my page file on my SSD.

My computer should crush this game...

That link you sent me explicitly states needing a beefy computer to possibly accomplish, also it's for DirectX 11?

Not owning der uber computer (sic) i was hoping this was something easier to fix.

Why does rebooting (seem to) help? This this a ram thing? Something needs flushing/cleansing? Did I not offer up the correct ritual sacrifices and incense?

Le Halps.

QES, it's working even better for DX9 ;)
And believe it or not, you ARE already in the beefy computer category. IF it should crash you should try out lower values, like 1024 :)

Oh, and performing the proper rituals for devine assistance might help, too :D

Top Bottom