IndieStone - Visual Tech Tree Editor

S3rgeus: you managed to make this mod workable? Amazing, thank you so much! I'd lost hope I would get to easily edit the Tech Tree, and by extension ever be able to make a mod I've been planning (I'm not very good at modding, so any tool making it easier for me is very important ;) ). I stumbled upon this thread again only by accident. I hope the tool will work for me - I'm unable to check that right now, but I will as soon as I can.

Incidentally - when the new expansion comes out, do you think you will try and make the tool workable for that, as well? Because that would be even greater =)

The editor definitely works, I've been using it since on one of my mods and it was essential in completely pulling apart and moving around a whole bunch of techs in the tree.

I think I should be able to update this for BNW. If Firaxis take the same approach to updating the XML files with BNW as they did for G&K, it should hopefully be a simple matter of changing a file path. Though it always ends up being more complicated than it should be.

I've already started Modbuddy before via the exe. not through the SDK because I get the error: "Failed to load one or more components, please re install the program. But when I run the exe. it works but that isn't the problem. Yes I did the asset path but I think its wrong. Is there a way to edit your asset path once you've loaded ModBuddy?

PS: Thanks for all your work S3rgeus. :D

Yes I did the asset path but I think its wrong. Is there a way to edit your asset path once you've loaded ModBuddy?

You'll need to use the Registry Editor.
  • ToolAssetPath in HKCU\Software\Firaxis\Tools
  • AssetPath in HKCU\Software\Firaxis\Nexus\Viewer

EDIT: Confusingly, you don't want \Assets at the end in the first case, but in the second case, you do.

Thanks so much Nutty and S3rgeus I can now start my new Improved Later Eras mod. :D :)

I'm glad the Tech Editor will be helpful for you! Nutty got there with the answer before me. It seems several people have encountered this problem, so I'll amend my post with some instructions on how to fix this issue in case anyone else runs into it.

I got this error when exporting my tech tree template:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
at IndieStoneTools.Forms.Export.SaveISMod()
at IndieStoneTools.Forms.Export.button2_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18047 built by: FX45RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
IndieStoneTechEditor
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Deborah/Downloads/Civilization%20V/MODS/IndieStoneTechTreeEditor0_9/IndieStoneTechEditor.exe
System.Windows.Forms
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18021 built by: FX45RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.18044 built by: FX45RTMGDR
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
IndieStoneTools
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Deborah/Downloads/Civilization%20V/MODS/IndieStoneTechTreeEditor0_9/IndieStoneTools.DLL
System.Xml
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
DevIL.NET2
Assembly Version: 1.1.2619.31671
Win32 Version:
CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Deborah/Downloads/Civilization%20V/MODS/IndieStoneTechTreeEditor0_9/DevIL.NET2.DLL
msvcm80
Assembly Version: 8.0.50727.6195
Win32 Version: 8.00.50727.6195
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/WinSxS/x86_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.6195_none_d09154e044272b9a/msvcm80.dll
System.Core
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Design
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Design/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Design.dll
Accessibility
Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.17929 built by: FX45RTMREL
CodeBase: file:///C:/windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box

When I open the G&K tech tree editor I don't see any of the G&K features and the G&K techs have no icons or features. Could you fix this? Also the techs are all messed up and in the wrong order. If you could fix this it would be amazing!

~Thanks, yric277

The error from your first post looks like a text key error, where it tried to export/display a text key that had no entry in the database. Did you add any new text keys without associating text with them as well?

The G&K techs not showing icons was a bug I encountered when porting the tech editor to G&K, but I was fairly sure it was fixed when I released it. Can you provide a screenshot? Does the error persist after a restart? I've found that the editor does sometimes get confused by loading order of XML files in mods so it may be running into that issue with the base game for some reason.

There were a few examples there. I hope that is enough but if you really need a good look I can record a video showing the problems then upload it to youtube the paste the link here if you want. Or I could post more pictures :p When this works I'll finish off my Improved Later Eras. :D

Attachments

• Capture 3.PNG
    Capture 3.PNG
    290.3 KB · Views: 209
  • Capture 2.PNG
    Capture 2.PNG
    201.9 KB · Views: 151
  • Capture 1.PNG
    Capture 1.PNG
    254.2 KB · Views: 177
  • Capture 4.PNG
    Capture 4.PNG
    165.3 KB · Views: 144
There were a few examples there. I hope that is enough but if you really need a good look I can record a video showing the problems then upload it to youtube the paste the link here if you want. Or I could post more pictures :p When this works I'll finish off my Improved Later Eras. :D

Are you sure you're running the latest version I uploaded? Because I removed the red "DLC" tag from the tech editor since all of the G&K content (almost everything) was flagged as DLC.

Nevermind all what I said. I downloaded the file in this post:

"So, without further ado, I present the Visual Tech Tree Editor, updated for Gods & Kings! I haven't yet done thorough testing of the XML generated by the newly decompiled and fixed program, so if anyone finds any fun errors, then let me know and I'll look into them.

I've only made one 'feature tweak' aside from making the Editor cooperate with G&K. The Editor used to flag units/techs that came from DLC files with a "DLC" logo. Because G&K is technically DLC (in terms of file structure), it flagged basically everything as DLC at first, so I've simply removed that label. "

Then ran the exe. file and it works! Yay! I will inform you If I encounter an error or bug.
PS: I rated your download file 4 stars by accident but I can't change it to five :(

I found an error when I tried to split the information era into another.

System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
at IndieStoneTechEditor.EraInfo.get_NoBarbCities()
at IndieStoneTechEditor.EraInfo.Copy(EraInfo eraInfo)
at IndieStoneTechEditor.EraSlider.Split()
at IndieStoneTechEditor.TechTree.splitEraHereToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

mscorlib

Hi Guys,

I downloaded the latest version modified by S3rgeus but all I can see is a Visual Studio project, not an application. Does it have to be compiled or am I missing something? I'm just wondering how to even start the whole thing :confused:

I found an error when I tried to split the information era into another.

at IndieStoneTechEditor.EraInfo.get_NoBarbCities()
at IndieStoneTechEditor.EraInfo.Copy(EraInfo eraInfo)
at IndieStoneTechEditor.EraSlider.Split()
at IndieStoneTechEditor.TechTree.splitEraHereToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)

mscorlib

Thanks for the report. I'm looking into this bug but it's slightly more complicated than I expected. I'll try to get a new version out soon that fixes Era splitting.

Hi Guys,

I downloaded the latest version modified by S3rgeus but all I can see is a Visual Studio project, not an application. Does it have to be compiled or am I missing something? I'm just wondering how to even start the whole thing :confused:

You've downloaded the source code attached to the post rather than the application from the download database (linked in the same post). You can find the compiled application here.

Thanks for the update, that's a great tool :)

Not sure if it's on my end or in the tool, but the resulted XML referenced "TECH_DRAMA_AND_POETRY" but it should have been "TECH_DRAMA"

There was also a few other typos on key names, PLASTICS and PENICILLIN IIRC.

Top Bottom