Infos from the new Computer Bild Spiele about Civ 5

alot of the famous open-field battles of old were fought to keep the enemy away from the cities.

I have nothing agains open-field-battles. But I am against a game mechanism forcing the defender into the open, invalidating city walls, castles etc. and showing the invader every unit that is waiting on a plate, so that there is hardly need for espionage anymore. Is this still Civilization or do we now get "Panzer General Battle Chess" under the Civilization brand?

Because in an ancient and medieval context it would be utter nonsense to defend a fortified city from inside with only one single unit, no matter if this unit is an archer unit (wide range attack) or sword unit (melee range) attack. The concept of fortifying cities and building Castles at that times based around defending a limited number of valuable fighters of all classes against the often almost unlimited numbers of attacking hordes. If this is not possible anymore in Civ5 then it is probably just is not good enough for ancient and medieval scenarios anymore. The only working expansion of the "One Tile- One Unit" I could think of would be if fortified cities actually could get larger than one tile. However, so far we did not see this yet.

Maybe they will have a city defense unit that encompasses more than just one unit type (like warrior or archer).

I think it is a little premature to bash this new system when we don’t have all the details.

I have nothing agains open-field-battles. But I am against a game mechanism forcing the defender into the open, invalidating city walls, castles etc. and showing the invader every unit that is waiting on a plate, so that there is hardly need for espionage anymore. Is this still Civilization or do we now get "Panzer General Battle Chess" under the Civilization brand?

You are neglecting that you still have to manage your Empire to have your Units a thing you didn't need to do for PG ;). So we might get the fighting closer to Battle chess, more on a tactical lvl than massive stacks but how it plays out is still to be seen. Additional if we can get rid of this absolute overpowered and in some things downright idiotic spy-system we have now thats a bonus.

I have nothing agains open-field-battles. But I am against a game mechanism forcing the defender into the open, invalidating city walls, castles etc. and showing the invader every unit that is waiting on a plate

It has already been mentioned somewhere, that cities and forts itself will also get the ability to bombard units.
I guess, there'll maybe also be city buildings, which will improve this ability, so that a city itself could shoot more than one time at the attackers.

-> I think, it will be an interesting system.

Who knows, perhaps Castles, Barracks etc. enhance the number of allowed units in cities. The only thing we know is that the CBS wrote that you have to have an empty city if you are going to build units in it. We know nothing about the game mechanics of one unit per hex in context with cities.

My concern with 1 unit per hex is that, unless units can move an unlimited distance within your contiguous territory or something like in Slay, shuffling your units around near bottlenecks and front lines will turn into one of those annoying get-the-block-out puzzles every turn

That could make moving/storing of units easier.

Right now we can only speculate, so let's hope Firaxis releases some hard facts soon!

In Civ Rev there is No Unit limit/tile. You can have as many Units from as many types as you want. So what ever else this 1Unit/tile is not from Civ-Rev.

Hmm some good news here, but also some seriously dodgy looking changes.

1)Well, removing tech trading will remove some of the cheesier options, but there are going to have to be a LOT more possible deals to make with AI civs if this is going to work. Civ 4 without tech trading reduces diplomacy to little more than hitting "no" every time the AI demands something for hundreds of turns at a time. Not just can't you trade tech, you also have nothing considered valuable enough to trade for any of the remaining options - e.g. triggering third party wars, so those get nixed as well.

2)Has some possibilities on fixing 1), but needs a lot more options than just a research bonus for allies.

3)Phrasing implies "religion" will be implemented as some unrelated system. Further simplification of diplomacy?

4)I like this one. Personally I prefer working on a small number of good cities than a sprawl of generic ones.

5)Couldn't care less.

6)This sounds promising - is this a component of the tech tree or completely separate? Sounds like the latter. "Astle" I'm assuming is a mistranslation of "aisle"/"path" or something similar.

7)I'm still very dubious about this one unit per tile thing - it has an awful lot of potential problems. Mainly it's the tedious micromanagement component. Unless units are vastly lower in number than previous games it's going to produce all kinds of pointless time wasting simply with finding tiles to store units. How do units move relative to each other? Shuffling units like a blocks puzzle would be mind rottingly dull and irritating. If I've got an occupied city surrounded by six units and build a unit, what happens? Is there any similar system to stack move? Are transports down to one unit each or what?

Return of artillery could be good, but please both provide a way of destroying opposing artillery, and teach the AI to use it, or we'll be back to the exploits of Civ 3.

8)Somehow I've a feeling city states is going to translate to "easy target", but could make things a bit more interesting.

I've a feeling Civ 5 is going to hinge on this change. Unless units are rare (e.g. a few per city) and individual units are much more sophisticated than in previous civs, it isn't looking promising.

I post the following text in all topics about the recent Civ V previews, sorry if it counts as spam

But if there's only one unit per hexagonal tile, there'll be a almost completely new combat system as you'll not be able to defend your city and therefore you must take out the enemy before it gets to the city?
And the text mentions that there's one unit per tile including cities, does this mean that there's a maximum of one unit per city or does it mean that you can't have any unit defending/sleeping in a city at all?
That's my two questions hope you can answer them

The review did say, though, that you could combine several archer units into one big archer army and that said army can get promotions and such. Sounds like a good addition to the 1UPT rule, to be able to combine same-type units into one larger unit. Of course, you should then also be able to separate them again later.

The system didn't work at all in Rev however. It just forced you to use nothing but armies since lone units were nothing but cannon fodder to them.

I'm worried about the one unit-per-tile feature... So now we have to defend cities with just one unit?
No, you defend cities with armies that keep enemy armies away from your city.

These armies can contain multitudes.

No, you defend cities with armies that keep enemy armies away from your city.

These armies can contain multitudes.

What's multitudes? But will you have at least one unit in your citys tile? Or will the city be undefended (if it weren't for the units outside the city)

What's multitudes? But will you have at least one unit in your citys tile? Or will the city be undefended (if it weren't for the units outside the city)
I read something about cities defending themselves somehow.

Multitudes is ... well, the easy English word that means much the same is "many".

Aha, but what do you mean by multitude armies if it's One Unit Per Tile?

Units will form lines, probably with depth, and backup defenders in case someone manages to bust through.

Enemies will try to break through your lines in order to attack your cities, or flank your armies and attack your archers.

Top Bottom