Ingame building models/sprites

Olafeson

Prince
Hello guys, i wanted to finally post a (hopefully) helpfull thread. In the attached Zip file you find a JPEG picture of every model/sprite of the city buildings / wonders in the game. In alphabetical order.

Of course you can find these pictures also in the Civ Wiki on the Internet. But i think it can be useful to have them on your computer. I have a folder on my desktop with the images i made with the worldbuilder. And whenever i want to check if a building has been build by the A.I. i tab out and take a look.

I want to adress the strategic decisions you can make when observing cities with the zoom.
Every building that has been build in the city can be seen on the city model of the worldmap.

This can help making decisions in different scenarios.
For example:

• 1) Culture wars over border tiles (will i be able to keep the tile?)
  • 2) Deciding which cities to conquer or demand in a peace deal (cities with an academy / national wonder)
  • For example: if you have not yet build Moai Statues or Oxford, you can get those wonders from your opponent
  • 3) Spy Missions ( Race for Lib with Mansa/Willem? Use revolt mission in his Academy city with cottages.
  • 4) trade mission (more gold from Great merchant in cities with harbours/ Artemis temple)
Spoiler Culture War :
Culture Example.jpg

In this specific game(deity difficulty NH/NE), i wanted to fight with Mansa Musa over the ivory tile (red circle). I was losing culture on the tile (as you can see in the second red circle to the left).

I want to mention here that i got Kumbai Saleh from him as a gift.

Mansa settled it so close to my capital and did not bother to build a monument/ library for a while. So i also build a monument/library in my city 3S 1E of Kumbai Saleh to battle for the corn. I got the corn and 2 turns later also the whole city as a gift. Quite nice:).

Anyway lets check out his city Djenne.

Mansa city.jpg

As we can see he did build :

• 1) Library
  • 2) Theatre
So he has not too much cultural buildings (only +5 :culture:/turn if he does not run the culture slider). Usually the A.I. does not run culture slider until later in the game, if they choose to win a cultural victory.
  • 3) He also ha a mint (his UB /replaces forge)
Meine Stadt.jpg

So this is my city. As you can see from the city buildings i have 3 culture buildings:

• 1) Library (+4:culture:)
  • 2) Theatre (+3:culture:)
  • 3) Monument (+2:culture:)
The library and monument have been build very early in the game. If one of your culture buildings is 1000 years old, its culture will be doubled.

Conclusion : I will probably not lose the tile to Mansa Musa. My reaction was to also whip a theatre when i saw that he did build one.

Spoiler Conquer cities / demand cities for peace :

You probably did notice that if you conquer a city, that you keep certain buildings while others will be destroyed. I think these rules apply (although i might be mistaken):

• World Wonders will never be destroyed
  • National Wonders will be destroyed unless you got the city peacefully (in a peace treaty or as a gift when the city revolts due to your cultural pressure) and you have not build them yourself
  • all culture buildings will be destroyed unless the culture building is a UB of your Civ (e.g. you capture a theatre as Justinian , so you keep the theatre as a hippodrome)
  • all other buildings granary / forge / bank etc. can be destroyed by a random generator roll or be kept if the roll fails
  • buildings created by Great Persons will also never be destroyed (academy or military academy)
So i always look out for the more important buildings. For example a military academy or an academy.

Academy :
Academy.jpg

Military Academy:
Military Academy.jpg

If a city flips to you because of your culture or you demand it in a peace deal, you keep all buildings.

And as already mentioned, this also applies to national wonders like Moai Statues, Oxford, Heroic Epic if you have not build them in your own cities yet. So i sometimes try to demand one of those cities in a peace deal. or try to flip those cities in a culture war.

Sometimes it is really tough to build National wonders on your own. Not enough hammers, no marble or stone etc. So it is nice if you get them in a good city from the A.I.sometimes.

Oxford
Oxford University.jpg

Globe Theatre
Globe Theatre.jpg

National Epic
National Epic.jpg

Of course that only happens very occasional that you grab like National wonders from the A.I. But sometimes it does, and then it is very beneficial.

Spoiler Trade Mission :
Those circumstances allow you to receive more gold from your Great merchant trade mission :

• The distance of the city to your capital
  • The size of your capital and the city which you choose for the trade mission
  • If the city has a harbor, a customs house or the Temple of Artemis
Harbor
Harbor.jpg

Customs House
Customs House.jpg

Anyway here is the ZIP file ( JPEG pictures with the buildings) . Oh well :confused:. i can not upload the .rar file .
I did try it to compress the JPEG pictures with 7 Zip and Winrar and upload it. Can anybody help?

The file is 54 mb big ( .rar or .7z) . If i try to upload it, it just doesn t work and i have to close the "upload a file" window again.

It took me quite a while to make it and it would be nice if i could upload it. Only if you guys are interested in it of course, or if the rules of the civfanatics forum allow it.

Last edited:
Place Holder

Update : Finally the images split into 2 zip files for the people who are interested.

Attachments

• part 1.7z
    23.6 MB · Views: 229
  • part 2.7z
    23.8 MB · Views: 231
Last edited:
For trade missions, I just look in the wonders list and see who built the TOA and which city has it. And you can do the mouse over to figure out the best trade mission return. But I see how it might be helpful in other instances. Good job.

For trade missions, I just look in the wonders list and see who built the TOA and which city has it.

Of course you are right. But sometimes a trademission to the city with the ToA is inferior to a trade mission to a coastal city with a harbor / customs house.
For example the A.I. just got compass / economics or you trade them the tech so they build it.

The you can wait like a few turns and check the cities each turn, then make the trade mission as soon as you see the building.

By the way, can you tell me how i can upload the compressed folder ( .rar or.7z) to this page. Does not work how i usually do it ("upload a file")

It easy enough to check what the mission will be for me to bother looking for anything besides the obvious harbor and population.

Sorry, I only upload jpegs so upload a file works just fine.

Were you able to find a solution to this conundrum? Since it probably won't work to upload them here due to filesize limitations, you could try some type of upload service.

I'm able to recognise a lot of the buildings, but it might be handy to have something like this nevertheless. Oh, and I really do wonder what the hell those tower-like things are :lol: It's not a building per se, but something that appears at some point inside cities.

@Pangaea

Unfortuantely not. According to the "upload a file" window, we can uplaod up to 145 mb, the file is 55 mb big. But i will try to generate 2 or 3 .zip or.rar files and then upload 3 instead of 1. Yeah the the small towers are kind of conufisng sometimes, i think they appear as soon as we enter the medieval or renaissance era. At first i always thought they belong to some sort of religious building, but they do not.

Have an exam tomorrow so i hope i find some time tomorrow evening.

Just
You probably did notice that if you conquer a city, that you keep certain buildings while others will be destroyed. I think these rules apply (although i might be mistaken):

• World Wonders will never be destroyed
  • National Wonders will be destroyed unless you got the city peacefully (in a peace treaty or as a gift when the city revolts due to your cultural pressure) and you have not build them yourself
  • all culture buildings will be destroyed unless the culture building is a UB of your Civ (e.g. you capture a theatre as Justinian , so you keep the theatre as a hippodrome)
  • all other buildings granary / forge / bank etc. can be destroyed by a random generator roll or be kept if the roll fails
  • buildings created by Great Persons will also never be destroyed (academy or military academy)
So i always look out for the more important buildings. For example a military academy or an academy.

Just to clarify, when conquering cities by force:

Wonders, Academies, Shrines and Military Academies are not destroyed when you capture a city, but they no longer produce Culture.
Other Culture producing buildings that produce Culture for the AI and for you are destroyed when you capture a city (Theatre, Library, Temple, etc)
Buildings that don't produce Culture for the AI but do produce it for you (e.g. Granaries when you are Inca) are not automatically destroyed. So, to continue the example, if you are playing as the Inca and you capture a Granary, it turns in a 2 :culture: Terrace.
(I don't know if the Culture doubles if the Granary is over 2000 years old when you capture it, but I doubt it)​
I'm also not sure if you can capture a Granary from the Incas when playing as non-Incas, even though it doesn't produce Culture for you.

Agree re: National Wonders and other buildings.

Nice work @Olafeson !

Just throwing in abit of help here as I think this is unclear.
"all culture buildings will be destroyed unless the culture building is a UB of your Civ (e.g. you capture a theatre as Justinian , so you keep the theatre as a hippodrome)"

Still alot of things that is weird about which buildings you keep or not imho.

There is a file Civ4BuildingInfos.xml, which hold alot of info about the buildings, one parameter is "bNeverCapture", and if this is set to 1, the building is always razed in conquest. If it is 0, then more complicated rules apply.
The theatre, the hippodrome and the chinese pavilion are all set to 1, so they should always razed in a conquest?

More complicated with two other unique buildings, whose base is a building w/o culture, but the UB does provide culture.
Those two buildings are the incan terrace and the greek odeon.
Here both the base building (Granary and Colossum) are set to 0, and so are their unique building conterparts. Also set to 0. So they should just work like normal buildings.

I know @Kaitzilla mentioned that he could not capture any colossums from greece, and I have also tested this and found out that it seems to be impossible to conquer cities that still has colossums in them.
I don't know what this can arise from, since from what I can see, they are set to bNeverCapture = 0, and should be able to be captured and just turnedinto regular colossums.

Have not tested this yet against Inca, but if the same pattern holds, there is a step penalty for attacking Capac, because if you do, all his granaries will be razed. :(

@Pangaea

Unfortuantely not. According to the "upload a file" window, we can uplaod up to 145 mb, the file is 55 mb big. But i will try to generate 2 or 3 .zip or.rar files and then upload 3 instead of 1. Yeah the the small towers are kind of conufisng sometimes, i think they appear as soon as we enter the medieval or renaissance era. At first i always thought they belong to some sort of religious building, but they do not.

Have an exam tomorrow so i hope i find some time tomorrow evening.
Thanks, very useful :)

Funny to see these 'nothing' cities with late era buildings and wonders. Must have taken an aaaaaaaage to build Ironworks :lol:

I'm not sure about all the rules and suchlike, but I know that the Inca granary and the Greek Odeon can be captured. National wonders cannot, even if you don't have that particular type in one of your own cities yet.

I'm not sure about all the rules and suchlike, but I know that the Inca granary and the Greek Odeon can be captured.

You can capture Granaries and Colosseums, and if you play as Inca or Greece, these buildings are converted to their corresponding unique building conterpart.
However, it seems impossible to as non-greece capture a greek city containing a odeon, and have a colosseum intact after the capture.
I'm afraid, but I have not verified, that the same is true of the granary if you capture it from Capac.

@krikav

Thanks for the clarification. I guess if you did look into the game files, your statement surely will be correct.
I made my points solely based off my observations in my games without going into the games files.

Somehow i thought i captured a hippodrome or a pavillon once in a while. But i assume that my memory betrayed me and it was the greek odeon and the inca terrace.

Somehow ironic that i made the big effort with the screenshots just to find out now that the ingame buiding models can be seen in the civilopedia of the game:rolleyes:.
Even after countless hours of Civ 4 i never really realized the fact that there is a picture above the explanation of the building.

I made the the guide because i saw that even a very good player like Lain still is puzzled if and when an A.I. city will get a border pop or if he is going to keep his tiles.
checking the city with the zoom from time to time to keep track if he has build monuments/ libraries / theatres really helps to roughly calculate the culture war and border pops.

Have not tested this yet against Inca, but if the same pattern holds, there is a step penalty for attacking Capac, because if you do, all his granaries will be razed.

yeah that would be annoying. Granary and forge are basically the building you want to see when you conquer a city.

Funny to see these 'nothing' cities with late era buildings and wonders. Must have taken an aaaaaaaage to build Ironworks

Nah you know i have a secret strategy to build ironworks in 1 turn. Even without steel and in a size 1 city of the ancient era. :scared: No biggie at all:cool:.

@krikav
Thanks for the clarification. I guess if you did look into the game files, your statement surely will be correct.
I made my points solely based off my observations in my games without going into the games files.
Experience trumps reading in these files imho, things are behaving so arcane.

Somehow i thought i captured a hippodrome or a pavillon once in a while. But i assume that my memory betrayed me and it was the greek odeon and the inca terrace.
Yes, that could be the case.

I don't know if it was this quide, or if it was due to the espionage guide form Kaitzilla, but previously I have never paid any attention to what happend in the AIs cities. But now I do look into AIs cities quite frequently´and benefit greatly from it. Thank you for that!
And the civopedia entry for the Madrassa for example, shows the buildings stand-alone, while your images show them inside a city, so your images are much more usefulf or this purpose.[/user]

Place Holder

Update : Finally the images split into 2 zip files for the people who are interested.

Nice work Olafeson!
Now I have all 160 civ 4 buildings' pictures in a folder which I can easily look through.

I tried something similiar once, but died from exhaustion right away. :sad:

Might try to cram all 160 onto a sheet of paper that I can print out. :hmm:

Top Bottom