Scenario location plus mod installation

Zygmunt

Warlord
Ok, so i see the fall of rome scenario has diplomacy disabled. Where can i find this scenario on my computer so i can mod it a bit?

Secondly, what folder does a mod go into?

I guess i can delete this. But I have one last question is why do some mods say custom game and others say setup game? custom game i believe sets up the mod, setup game takes you to the vanilla 4000BC start date game

Last edited:
Hi Zygmunt,

I'm not an expert, but I've been reading around the forum with the intent of creating my own modded scenario, and I hope this helps. All of Civ 5's default scenarios can be found (if you use Steam) at C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC, located within the subfolders and then ...\Scenarios. For example, the Fall of Rome scenario is in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion\Scenarios\FallOfRomeScenario.

To modify elements in a game in Civ 5, you can either make a scenario using Civ 5 SDK's WorldBuilder, or take this one step further and create/edit a mod which will allow you to change and customize more complicated things like religion, civilization/city-state names, etc. Since Fall of Rome with all its settings is already packaged as a "mod", the setting Diplomacy Disabled has to be edited in the mod files for Fall of Rome.

The Fall of Rome scenario uses the central mod file "Fall of Rome.modinfo", with location C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Sid Meier's Civilization V\Assets\DLC\Expansion\Scenarios\FallOfRomeScenario. If you open this file with Notepad++ (free, open-source), you can see what files in the FallOfRomeScenario folder are active in what way for the mod. You can also change the scenario description here. Unfortunately, I'm not entirely sure what you'd need to change, and where, to enable diplomacy in the mod.

I tried to edit it using WorldBuilder* and successfully enabled diplomacy by disabling "Always War" in Scenario Editor, but then various other parts of the scenario were not working - no barbarian troops on the border, Goths and Franks were default Germany and France, etc (which is how I found out it's packaged together with other files and cannot just be edited as a WorldBuilder scenario).

I would highly recommend this thread explaining how to do any modding in Civ 5, written by someone more knowledgeable than me, which could help in editing the mod files for Fall of Rome.

In case you want to make a custom Civ 5 scenario, start here with this guide to using WorldBuilder.

*Civ 5 SDK is a built-in editing kit which contains tools like WorldBuilder to make your own scenarios. If you have Steam, you can enable it by going to Library, clicking the drop-down menu on the left-hand side which says "Games", then selecting "Tools", and installing "Sid Meier's Civilization V SDK". This has limits and you cannot change everything, such as renaming civilizations. For that, refer to modding in the first link.

Secondly, what folder does a mod go into?
A mod (such as downloaded from Steam workshop or made by you) for Civ 5 goes in C:\Users\[username]\Documents\My Games\Sid Meier's Civilization 5\MODS.

why do some mods say custom game and others say setup game? custom game i believe sets up the mod, setup game takes you to the vanilla 4000BC start date game
You're right, custom game should be for mods with scenarios, and set up game is for creating a vanilla game where you can customize the default settings of the base game.

I hope this was helpful. I'm still learning myself, and thought I would share what I know.

Thanks buddy. Seems very complicated, Civ IV was much easier. Well, i found out how to get some mods working and almost all scenarios working - their map file has to go in the maps folder, whether it's just a scenario or a mod. Than in game you click on setup and the globe icon which gets you to all the mods and scenarios youll be able to play

Top Bottom