Installation Issue for BtS and Civ IV on MAC

redbaron784

Chieftain
Hello all,
Recently had to uninstall and reinstall Civ IV/BtS on my Mac. It had been running perfectly well before this.

I repurchased Civ IV through the App Store on my Mac. It installed fine.

Then I went to try and install my copy of BtS, a digital copy. I get the following error message:

The installation of Civilization IV (located in /Applications) appears to be incomplete. Reinstalling may fix this problem.

Other than reinstalling, is there any way to fix this? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!

When you say your BTS is a digital copy, what do you mean? DVD-ROM or download? If download, from where? Further info can help folks help you figure this out.

There have been reports of downloaded CIV, Warlords, and BTS being different in minor ways from different online sources. When this is the case, BTS will not recognize the basic CIV game from a different source. You may want to email the two companies from which you got the downloads to see if this is the problem, before you drive yourself crazy trying to get it to work. If they say there should be no problem, try reinstalling.

If the version of Civ4 on the App store is anything like the verison of Civ5, then it's a very different structure from the one that your BtS enhancement pack is expecting. It comes in the form of a single .app file with the actual code and resources embedded inside it, and it uses the Apple DRM (copy protection) instead of the Aspyr system.

So, in a nutshell, I don't think you will be able to apply the BtS upgrade to the App Store Civ4.

Hi, thanks for the input. I spoke with Aspyr and they said I would need the digital copy they provide, so it looks like Alan was right.

If the version of Civ4 on the App store is anything like the verison of Civ5, then it's a very different structure from the one that your BtS enhancement pack is expecting. It comes in the form of a single .app file with the actual code and resources embedded inside it, and it uses the Apple DRM (copy protection) instead of the Aspyr system.

So, in a nutshell, I don't think you will be able to apply the BtS upgrade to the App Store Civ4.

I've just upgraded my MBP to late 2011 model. While transferring accounts I decided to omit application as MS Office was acting up. However, I can only locate my Warlords expansion CD and not the original Civ IV. Hence when I saw Civ IV in the App Store at $4.99 I jumped at it. But now I realise that it won't install. The only fallback I can think of is my time machine backups, that I can go back in time and copy the folder back to my new MBP. When I ran time machine for the first time for this new one, it asked if I wanted to merge the backups and I had OK'ed it. So fingers crossed. Otherwise I have to find a friend in the UK so that Amazon.co.uk can dispatch it there for me.

In the mean time I would welcome any solution...

Hi, thanks for the input. I spoke with Aspyr and they said I would need the digital copy they provide, so it looks like Alan was right.

The App Store actually warns you that BtS and Warlords will not work with their version. (Very annoying, as I have a DVD copy of Civ IV and BtS, and two friends only have App Store versions of Civ IV, so we can't play BtS together!)

However, are you saying that if they buy BtS as a download directly from Aspyr then they can play BtS? That would seem to contradict the App Store warning.

You can only apply an Aspyr BTS (or Warlords) expansion pack to a copy of Civ4 supplied directly from Aspyr. Both Civ4 and the expansion pack have to come either on a DVD or as a download from Aspyr's GameAgent store. You can't expand a Mac AppStore copy of Civ4.

Top Bottom