Installer Feedback

ruff_hi

Live 4ever! Or die trying
We will have a new installer for v3.6 that EF has put together. I've tested the 'single player (customassets)' mode and have the following comments:
  • firstly - nice little installer :goodjob:
  • any chance of getting a BUG icon or two no there?
  • it warns about my customassets but only asks to continue - it doesn't say what it will do (delete, over-write, copy and new version, other)
  • opening the change log is good
  • closing comment along the lines of "Now, go and play with BUG, conquer the world and send us any suggested improvements"

The warning about an existing CA folder was only for our internal testing, but that does raise a good point: what should I do with the existing CA folder?

Currently, the installer just puts the BUG files right into it without overwriting. This way, if you have BlueMarble installed, it will be happy. If you have a previous version of BUG still there, however, things will go very bad as you'll have a half-and-half installation.

One suggestion is to rename the current CA folder and create a new one. That's fine for upgrading BUG, but it will uninstall BM by doing that. You could then install BM back on top and be fine.

But then when you upgrade BUG, we'll already have a backup CA folder in the way and won't be able to backup the new one. :(

Note: The Mod install is so much cleaner.

Yes, the installer now has the BUG icon throughout.

I'll add some sort of goodbye and good luck message to the final page if I can.

Well, I just tried the 3.6 installer, and I must have done something wrong, because my BUG install is now totally borked. I had 3.51 installed, and didn't uninstall it first, so that's probably the main issue; but subsequently uninstalling both 3.51 and 3.6 and reinstalling 3.6 has left me with a still-borked install (and the backup Custom Assets folders are completely empty, which seems to me to be not what should happen with backup folders).

Here's the behavior: I start the game, reload a saved game I had in progress last night (before the 3.6 install), and it comes up completely UI-free. No control elements, either original or extra-crispy, are visible. Pressing Ctrl-Alt-O brings up a large window for BUG options; but that window is both modal and completely blank, with no way of dismissing it aside from popping out to Task Manager and killing CivIV itself (FWIW, this was also the exact behavior after the first 3.6 install, before I realized I had forgotten to uninstall 3.51 first).

I had already grumblingly resigned myself to the notion that all of my particular options were going to be wiped, and I was going to have to set up BUG to be exactly the way I wanted all over again; but I really don't want to have to do a wipe and reinstall of CivIV itself, if for no other reason than the fact that my game disks are put away somewhere "safe" (I use GameJackal so that I can keep my disks out of harm's way) and it usually takes me a couple of hour sof frantic looking to remember where I put them (also, I'd then have to reinstall the patches yet again, set up the game to start with GameJackal again, hide my master disks somewhere where the cats can't pee on them again, etc., etc).

You shouldn't have to reinstall Civ4--just BUG--and you may even be able to keep your settings from 3.5.1.

Here are my assumptions. Please correct any that are wrong:

1. You used the Single-Player Standard Install method
  2. You don't mind having to reinstall BlueMarble or the Unofficial Patch or other mods that you've installed.
If those are both correct, then go into your My Games\BTS folder and rename CustomAssets manually. Then run the BUG 3.6 installer again. It should not complain about files in the CustomAssets folder since it's not there anymore.

Does that solve the issues? If not, can you give me more information about your setup:

• XP or Vista?
  • Standard or CivGold or CivComplete?
  • CD (from what you said, yes) or Steam/Direct2Drive?
  • Does GameJackal do anything other than emulate the CD? Does it alter the installation?

You shouldn't have to reinstall Civ4--just BUG--and you may even be able to keep your settings from 3.5.1.

Here are my assumptions. Please correct any that are wrong:

1. You used the Single-Player Standard Install method
  2. You don't mind having to reinstall BlueMarble or the Unofficial Patch or other mods that you've installed.

I did, indeed, use the Single-Player Standard Install; and I didn't mind having to reinstall BlueMarble or Unofficial Patch because I don't have them installed (the only serious mod I use these days is BAT 1.1, which is autolaunched from the MODS folder).

If those are both correct, then go into your My Games\BTS folder and rename CustomAssets manually. Then run the BUG 3.6 installer again. It should not complain about files in the CustomAssets folder since it's not there anymore.

Does that solve the issues? If not, can you give me more information about your setup:

• XP or Vista?
  • Standard or CivGold or CivComplete?
  • CD (from what you said, yes) or Steam/Direct2Drive?
  • Does GameJackal do anything other than emulate the CD? Does it alter the installation?

Alas, it didn't help at all. I even went and deleted the CustomAssets and renamed the BUG folder so that there wouldn't be anything hanging around before I ran the installer; and it didn't help at all (indeed, it turned out slightly worse, in that even the national banner and "end of turn" circle, which had been the lone UI elements present before, were now missing as well).

As for the particulars:

1. Vista SP1
  2. Civ IV Standard
  3. Yeah, CD
  4. GameJackal works by sitting between the game and the drive and seeing what information the game asks the disc to produce for validation purposes the first time it is run; after that, you can put the disc away someplace safe and run the game without it. It doesn't change any of the game's files, but the icon now launches the emulator first, which hooks the game. As an example, the command line that the game icon launches is now [Emulator Path]\GameJackal_cl.exe "39809-0352179167|Civ 4 Beyond the Sword" where 39809-0352179167 is the GameJackal internal ID for the handful of data files it uses to launch Civ IV.

I think I may try to find my old BUG 3.51 install file and reinstall BUG 3.51, to see if I can at least recover my previous BUG functionality.

Hmm, I don't see the link in this thread where to get ahold of this to test it.

Are you trying to use BUG and BAT together, or are you trying to use BUG alone now? If you install BUG to CustomAssets, it will interfere with BAT unless you tell BAT to ignore the CustomAssets folder. We'll be releasing a new version of BAT with 3.6 sometime soon.

Are you loading old games or starting a new game from scratch? What happens if you install BUG as a mod instead? You can copy the INI files from the BUG Mod folder in My Games / BTS to the mod's BUG Mod folder once you verify that BUG can run as a mod.

Could you guys throw in a note that the Install as a mod is cleaner, and that the "Custom Assets" install can cause issues with other mods, as the custom assets often conflict and lead to a loss of interface?

Are you trying to use BUG and BAT together, or are you trying to use BUG alone now? If you install BUG to CustomAssets, it will interfere with BAT unless you tell BAT to ignore the CustomAssets folder. We'll be releasing a new version of BAT with 3.6 sometime soon.

Aha! I think we have a winner in the explanation sweepstakes, then. :goodjob:

Yeah, I was running BUG and BAT together.

I was eventually able to reinstall 3.51, and everything's working fine once again; I guess I'll wait for the new BAT release to upgrade both at once.

Alright, I just tested it before turn #100 in my future QIN (Industrious Deity Series). I tried just for a couple of turns to test the stability, and it worked perfect. Well, maybe the field-of-view bar scrolled a few pixels off the bar to the right, but that's no big deal. I doubt I'll use that feature anyway.

I like the added ticks, and I'm sure a lot of people will enjoy not having to jot down on paper anymore when the next votes, etc. are due for AP elections. Can't wait to finish that game now... but it will have to wait till tomorrow.

Does the new installer put the Mod (if installed as a mod) in the game files directory now, instead of Documents&Settings/MyGames/blah/blah/blah?

The Documents route breaks on shared computers (or requires multiple installs), and doesn't work at all for MP games. It's also rather annoying for those of us who like to keep games, data, etc on a different partition, for easy windows reloads.

Does the new installer put the Mod (if installed as a mod) in the game files directory now, instead of Documents&Settings/MyGames/blah/blah/blah?

Yes. I debated whether or not to allow the old path to be used. As I haven't found any downsides to putting the mod in the BTS install folder, I decided in favor of simplicity over options. :)

The installer also supports Civ4's /AltRoot option by

• letting you search for the alternate location,
  • verifying that the folder has CivilizationIV.ini, and
  • creating and installing CvAltRoot.py so BUG can find it.
I'd be very curious to hear from anyone that uses the /AltRoot option.

Thanks a lot BUG modders. I started a game last night using the new BUG and I love the new additions (in particular the dot map). There ought to be a BUG appreciation thread or something where everyone can give their thanks. Keep up the good work.

Is there anyway I could see the script you guys used for this? I've gotten done most of what I want in the next release of WolfRevolution, as far as the installer goes, but I haven't figured out how to give it an icon, like your installer does (and how to make the icon the same for the desktop shortcut).

The script (bug.nsi) and its other components are all available in our BEAST SVN repository in the Installer folder.

BEAST stands for BUG Extras: Art, Site, and Text. It holds all the non-code parts of BUG/BAT and related stuff.

Top Bottom