Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

I have yet another problem with my game (or I'm missing something).
I have downloaded a ton of mods off of Steam for both BNW and G&K that I've been dying to play for a long time, I turned them into .zip files and moved them to ~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5/MODS, but when I open up the game they don't appear when I clicked 'mods'. I checked and unchecked the DLCs to be sure that there isn't some sort of setting where only mods compatible with that DLC show up, and still, nothing.
I have included some screenshots to clarify what is happening.

Thank you for your previous help, and does anyone know how I can fix this? Or am I skipping a step?

Thank you for your time.

Why are you turning them into zip files? The procedure is fully described in the first post in this thread, and as far as I know, it says nothing about zipping mods before installing them.

Mods must be straight, uncompressed folders. They are sometimes delivered as .civ5mod files, which are actually the compressed .7z format, or as .zip files as a convenient way to reduce the download size. But they always have to be expanded/extracted to produce uncompressed folders that you place in the Mods folder.

can i have multiple mods going at the same time...I have the NaEMP downloaded and the Israel civ mod download and both selected during the game, but Israel civ is not an option when selecting civs for the NaEMP civ

So I haven't been able to find the mods folder in either of those spots as my library doesn't have a containers folder, nor is there an aspyr folder in my documents for step 6. Everything so far's gone smoothly but being so close to being able to play these mods but failing is so frustrating, any clue what to do other than hoping that re-installing everything will fix this problem?

Hi, welcome :wavey:

You don't indicate which version of Civ5 you have, and your question confuses to two different possibilities.

The Aspyr folder is created, in /Users/<your_account_name>/Documents, but only if you have bought or activated Civ5 on Steam. You can install mods in this version.

The Containers folder is hidden in /Users/<your_user_name>/Library/ if you have any recent version of OS X. You can get to it by holding down the alt key while selecting the Go menu in Finder. But it's only relevant if you have bought the Campaign Edition from the Apple App Store, and you can no longer install mods in this version as far as I know. So there is not much point in looking for it.

Hi, this is all very confusing for me trying to read through, so let me just ask it:

I've never used mods before but am interested in the "Dynamic Eras" one. It looks like I can't download it? It tells me to subscribe to download and after I subscribe there seems to be no possibility of download. The mod description also tells me to look for "eras.sql" which I try in Finder and no such thing shows up.

So I've searched around and it seems that mods don't work on Mac unless you do it manually? I was reading the first post of this thread and it just seems way too complicated for me I think, but I'm wondering is this the way I would have to go if I wanted this download? It's still like this?

Hi, this is all very confusing for me trying to read through, so let me just ask it:

I've never used mods before but am interested in the "Dynamic Eras" one. It looks like I can't download it? It tells me to subscribe to download and after I subscribe there seems to be no possibility of download. The mod description also tells me to look for "eras.sql" which I try in Finder and no such thing shows up.

So I've searched around and it seems that mods don't work on Mac unless you do it manually? I was reading the first post of this thread and it just seems way too complicated for me I think, but I'm wondering is this the way I would have to go if I wanted this download? It's still like this?
The first post summarises the steps you need to use to install mods on the Mac versions of Civ5. Yes, it's a tedious, manual process because Aspyr doesn't support mods. We're only lucky they haven't completely disabled them in all Mac versions.

The description in the first post is complicated by the fact that there are two different versions - AppStore/Campaign Edition, and Steam. As far as I can tell, the AppStore version no longer allows mods to run, but one or two people have said it still works for them, so I have left the instructions there in case they are still of use to someone.

If you have the Steam version, then you should be able to get mods to work if you just follow the steps, ignoring references to the AppStore/Campaign edition. You will have to carry out the first three steps to enable your Mods menu. Then you need the mod itself.

Since the mod you are interested in is such a tiny one, I've attached a ZIP file containing the folder you need to put in the Mods folder. If all you want is that mod, then you don't need to read further. Just download the attached zip file, expand it into a folder in your Mods folder, and enable it in Civ5. The expanded folder contains the eras.sql file that you need to edit to customise the settings.

----------------------

In case you want to try to download it yourself, or to download other mods, here are the steps I used to get it:

I have already completed Steps 1 to 3 of course, so I downloaded and installed Dynamic Eras from the Steam Workshop as follows:

- Find the mod page for Dynamic Eras in Steam Workshop, and click Subscribe.
- Open the following folder in Finder: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/userdata/ The easiest way to do this is to
select Go To Folder in the Finder's "Go" menu, and copy/paste the path into it.
- In that folder you will see one or more sub folders with numeric names. Expand folders in this location until you find the downloaded file called "dynamiceras (v 2).civ5mod". Here is what this all looks like on my system:

- Extract the raw files from "dynamiceras (v 2).civ5mod". I use an app called Keka to do this - see recent posts in this thread for details.

- When you have done that you will have a folder called "dynamic eras (v 2)" which contains two files: "DynamicEras (v 2).modinfo" and "Eras.sql". This is the same folder that I have zipped and attached to this post. Put this folder in your Mods folder in ~/Documents/Aspyr/Sid Meier's Civilization 5.

You can now edit the "Eras.sql" file to adjust the "cost" factors for each era.

Attachments

• mod_download.png
    mod_download.png
    93.5 KB · Views: 499
  • dynamiceras (v 2).zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 132
Thanks Alan! I haven't posted much over the years, but each time I have to ask a question in this forum, I think you've always been there to help with the answer. :)

Yes, I have the Steam edition (well I got it from a code from a Mac retail box which even though somewhere on Steam I think it says "Retail version" or something I think counts as a Steam edition right?). I'm going to try to do it following your post and give it a go!

Is process any different in Ver OS X 10.9.2 ?

This is my first Mac and I have had it exactly one week today.

I think the finder you mean is at the bottom left of the dock bar?

Is the go>go the search window at the top right? :confused:

I have the Aspry directory

If I figure out how to do this could I post the MODs on the forum so others don't have to go through this hassle? Maybe we could have a directory where we put the Mac mods and other people could put them in there too.

Im having a problem. I can't find the MODS folder on my mac. I used to be able to but I deleted and reinstalled the game and now when you go under "Application Support", theres no Civilization folder to go into... The game itself is under my Applications folder, and I can do the whole Package contents thing, but not the part about installing the mods. Help?

BTW, downloaded the game from a friend's USB, so I had the DMG file on my desktop, and verified it, and it works perfectly, but I have no idea where my MODS folder is...

If I figure out how to do this could I post the MODs on the forum so others don't have to go through this hassle? Maybe we could have a directory where we put the Mac mods and other people could put them in there too.

Please don't post copies of mods here. They are not yours to publish.

Is process any different in Ver OS X 10.9.2 ?

This is my first Mac and I have had it exactly one week today.

I think the finder you mean is at the bottom left of the dock bar?

Is the go>go the search window at the top right? :confused:

I have the Aspry directory

The Finder is the Mac equivalent to Windows Explorer. Yes, it is usually at the left hand end of your dock. Each application on a Mac has its own set of menus. When the Finder app is the front application, its menus are along the top of the screen. The Go menu is amongst those. The Search menu at top right is a global search facility called Spotlight. You can use it to search for files, messages, and other stuff. It's a bit of a blunt instrument if you already know where you should look for the folder you want.

PS. OS X version should not have a major effect, as long as you have 10.6 or later - which you have.

Im having a problem. I can't find the MODS folder on my mac. I used to be able to but I deleted and reinstalled the game and now when you go under "Application Support", theres no Civilization folder to go into... The game itself is under my Applications folder, and I can do the whole Package contents thing, but not the part about installing the mods. Help?

BTW, downloaded the game from a friend's USB, so I had the DMG file on my desktop, and verified it, and it works perfectly, but I have no idea where my MODS folder is...

You have posted this twice. Please don't - it only confuses me :confused: I've answered your other post.

I downloaded v.39.1 of the InGame Editor mod and followed the steps in your thread in order to use the mod.

When I went to open the game I was unable to click on anything in the main menu. Here is a screenshot of what it looked like:

Hi, welcome :wavey: (where have all these new Mac Civ5 users come from???)

This is typically an indication that you have corrupted the MainMenu.lua file. My first guess is that you have used TextEdit to add the '--' text to this file. TextEdit is not helpful, as it changes '--' to another character without bothering to ask you first.

This is covered in the first post. Either copy/paste the '--' from elsewhere in the file, or use another text editor.

So, I'm running Campaign Edition from the Mac Appstore upgraded to BNW. I did everything but I can't seem to get the mod button to show up :( Can anyone help?

Thanks so much for the lowdown on how to get mods going on the Mac. I wrote a quick and dirty script to aid the process for Steam at least. You just run it every time after you subscribe in the workshop. It's very alpha but it shouldn't trash anything I hope. It renames files with "_orig" added to the name before messing around, and also uses those originals to check if it's been there already. The main script is a python script wrapped inside an AppleScript application along with the 7za tool for decompressing 7zip.

Civ5_Enable_Steam_Mods.zip

So, I'm running Campaign Edition from the Mac Appstore upgraded to BNW. I did everything but I can't seem to get the mod button to show up :( Can anyone help?

As indicated elsewhere in this forum, it appears that the current version of Civ5 Campaign Edition down not allow the use of mods. I suspect this is to enable it to comply with App Store restrictions on scripting and third party add-ons. One or two players have said they can still enable mods in this version, but I certainly can't!

Thanks so much for the lowdown on how to get mods going on the Mac. I wrote a quick and dirty script to aid the process for Steam at least. You just run it every time after you subscribe in the workshop. It's very alpha but it shouldn't trash anything I hope. It renames files with "_orig" added to the name before messing around, and also uses those originals to check if it's been there already. The main script is a python script wrapped inside an AppleScript application along with the 7za tool for decompressing 7zip.

Civ5_Enable_Steam_Mods.zip

That looks like a very useful script. Well done :goodjob:

Top Bottom