Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

Hi, welcome :wavey:

That looks like a very useful script. Well done :goodjob:

Thanks! I made a slight mod to the script this morning (ha!) so that it runs the python in a Terminal window. That way you can see a bit more of what it's doing. I think if you've already done some of this stuff manually, it might complain about replacing files or what have you, so in Terminal at least you can tell it what it needs to do.

Again, this is for the Steam version only. I could try to write in App Store support but would have no way to test it. Anyone comfortable with scripting can open the app package and edit Contents/Resources/Scripts/civ5enablesteammods.py.

Civ5_Enable_Steam_Mods.zip

Please don't post copies of mods here. They are not yours to publish.

I'm just checking on what you mean? "Don't post copies of mods here" and "They are not yours to publish"

If supposedly I could write a mod and therefore owned it could I posted here?

Is it just that moderators don't want to have to deal with mods posted on the site?

Could you just please clarify this a little bit for me?

Hi, welcome :wavey: (where have all these new Mac Civ5 users come from???)

We are fleeing the :eek: Windows 8 OS

The Finder is the Mac equivalent to Windows Explorer. Yes, it is usually at the left hand end of your dock. Each application on a Mac has its own set of menus. When the Finder app is the front application, its menus are along the top of the screen. The Go menu is amongst those.

"It took me half an hour just to learn how create a screen shot and then copy it to the forum" :confused:

Which is the go menu?

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=374956&stc=1&d=1399435501

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-05-06 at 8.52.33 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-05-06 at 8.52.33 PM.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 353
I'm just checking on what you mean? "Don't post copies of mods here" and "They are not yours to publish"

If supposedly I could write a mod and therefore owned it could I posted here?
If you create your own mod, then of course you may post it yourself. However, if you post it here, very few people will find it. I would encourage you to do so in the Creation and Customization forum where it will get a wider audience than here. Civ5 mods are not platform-specific, so limiting your efforts to a Mac-only audience seems perverse.

Is it just that moderators don't want to have to deal with mods posted on the site?
Could you just please clarify this a little bit for me?
My point was that you have no right to post someone else's work without asking them first. Also, if the original work is updated, there is no guarantee that your copy will get those updates.
"It took me half an hour just to learn how create a screen shot and then copy it to the forum" :confused:
Sorry about that. See below ...
Which is the go menu?
Here are screenshots showing my Finder window, positioned near the top of the screen, with the menu bar above it. If you are using Full Screen view (I never do, as I am not a Windows user) you have to move the cursor to the top of the screen to display the menu bar.

I have shown the Go menu. I've also shown the Help menu, where I entered 'screen shot' to get the Help reference to making screen shots on a Mac.

Attachments

• finder_go.png
    finder_go.png
    339.2 KB · Views: 804
  • finder_help.png
    finder_help.png
    385.9 KB · Views: 833
Thank you Alan. I thought the go was for the window behind the finder window. And the way you used the search for screen shot will help me look up other shortcuts.

BTW how did you get the screen shot to imbed rather than just attach?

There is only ever one set of menus visible on a Mac. They are always at the top of the screen, and they always apply to the front-most application. Applications should never have separate menus in each window like in Windows.

You can always tell which application is front-most by looking at the second menu along. The one in the top left corner is always the Apple menu, which is a little bit like the Windows Start menu, I guess. Then the next one has the name of the front application - Finder, Safari, Civilization V, etc. The others are then the menus for that application.

Copy the URL from the Manage Attachments window for each uploaded file. Use the little "insert image" button above the message editing screen, and paste the URL into the dialog box.

Thanks so much for the lowdown on how to get mods going on the Mac. I wrote a quick and dirty script to aid the process for Steam at least. You just run it every time after you subscribe in the workshop. It's very alpha but it shouldn't trash anything I hope. It renames files with "_orig" added to the name before messing around, and also uses those originals to check if it's been there already. The main script is a python script wrapped inside an AppleScript application along with the 7za tool for decompressing 7zip.

Civ5_Enable_Steam_Mods.zip

That enabled the MOD button alright.

Thanks for that awesome tutorial, but i have a problem: /edit I found the solution by myself
Thanks and have a nice day
Moritz

I have now an other issue. I have installed several mods, but if i activate them from the mod menu and play from there, they are not activated. It doesn't matter if the mods are civilizations or other mods.
Please help me
Moritz

I have now an other issue. I have installed several mods, but if i activate them from the mod menu and play from there, they are not activated. It doesn't matter if the mods are civilizations or other mods.
Please help me
Moritz

After you have checked the box to enable a mod, you must click NEXT, then you will have to click SINGLE PLAYER to proceed. Golden rule is to keep going forward in the set up menus. Don't go backwards.

After you have checked the box to enable a mod, you must click NEXT, then you will have to click SINGLE PLAYER to proceed. Golden rule is to keep going forward in the set up menus. Don't go backwards.
I'm doing that, but sadly it still doesn't work.

Why are you turning them into zip files? The procedure is fully described in the first post in this thread, and as far as I know, it says nothing about zipping mods before installing them.

Mods must be straight, uncompressed folders. They are sometimes delivered as .civ5mod files, which are actually the compressed .7z format, or as .zip files as a convenient way to reduce the download size. But they always have to be expanded/extracted to produce uncompressed folders that you place in the Mods folder.

Jeez, I don't know why I didn't notice that... Thanks :p
I tried it again (unzipped files, put them back into the mods folder) and mods still aren't showing up.

I noticed that you say 'folders' when talking about the unzipped files you put in the mods folder. None of the mods I've downloaded have turned into folders when I unzipped them, just .civ5mod files. How do I fix this?

A .civ5mod file is still a compressed archive - actually in .7z format. You have to extract the od from the .civ5mod file. I use Keka. There are several posts in this thread covering the way you do this, and ekc has written a neat Applescript that automates the entire process when you subscribe to a mod from the Steam workshop.

Again, this is for the Steam version only. I could try to write in App Store support but would have no way to test it. Anyone comfortable with scripting can open the app package and edit Contents/Resources/Scripts/civ5enablesteammods.py.

I don't think it's worth it. I have only seen one or two people claim that the current version of the App Store version will run mods, and I would be surprised if it is generally feasible.

I followed you tutorial exactly and got the MOD option to appear on the main menu, however, none of the extracted mods I put in the MODS folder are showing up. I am using the steam version of BNW and am trying to install the Communitas Expansion. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks!

I assume you are using the Steam version of Civ5, otherwise you would not see the Mods menu option.

What, exactly, did you do with the Communitas mod? What did you download, and did you turn it into a folder before putting it in your Mods folder? The folder should be called Communitas Enhanced Gameplay (v.3), and it should be full of suborders and files. Crucially, it should contain a file called "Communitas Enhanced Gameplay (v 3).modinfo"

Yeah its got all of that in there. What's special about "Communitas Enhanced Gameplay (v.3).modinfo?"

Yeah its got all of that in there. What's special about "Communitas Enhanced Gameplay (v.3).modinfo?"

That's the file that tells Civ5 that the folder contains a mod, and what to do with all the other files. Sort of an index to the mod.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi everyone,

I did everything the tuto said. I have the campaign edition. I can see the MODS option in the main menu, but then I can't see the Mods I've put in the MODS file. I have 3, none are there. I unzipped them using keka, I feel I really followed the instructions Alan gave but I can't seem to solve this!

Thanks for your help!

First, I am impressed that you can see the Mods menu in Campaign edition. Please can you indicate what version of Civ5 you have, and whether you bought it in a non-English App Store?

If you are certain that you have in zipped the mods, and that this created folders containing files, and including a .modinfo file as described above, then it is possible that your copy of the Campaign Edition is still unable to load mods.

I have a theory that Aspyr had to disable mods in order to qualify for inclusion
in the App Store, which has strict rules about scripting and third party downloadable content. However, I have never seen this confirmed anywhere.

Top Bottom