Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

AlanH,

Thank you for the suggestion, it worked great. Several files seem to be hidden in Yosemite. I used your file paths and copied them into finder, worked great. Mods are up and running.

Again Thanks.

Chris

I apologize in advance if you've already covered this, but I looked and couldn't find an answer.

I followed the instructions and I have a mods option on my main menu.
-I clicked that
-I selected the Mods I wanted
-The screen came up and indicated that I have in fact added the mods
-I click Single Player game and then Setup
-The extra civilization mods still do not appear as playable options

Can you think of any reason they still aren't working even though the game has confirmed the mods are loaded?

thanks

When the screen came up listing the installed mods, what did you click on that screen?

I clicked on Single Player, and then Setup Game. The next screen is the normal Setup screen, but at the top it says Modding Game Setup

OK, just needed to check. A common mistake is going back to the starting menu, not realising that Single Player is a button in that screen.

What mods are you activating? If the are only maps, then you may only see changes in the map selection menu. If they are extra civs, as indicated in your first post, then they should appear in the list of civs you can select to play.

Yeah, I'm not trying to load new maps, just extra Civs. Examples of the ones I've tried from the steam workshop page are:

-The Kalmar Union
-Lanna Kingdom
-The Sikh Empire
-Tibet

And there were a couple others. I made sure not to download any of the empires that said you needed an extension pack, i.e. Brave New World, to play them.

P.S. Thanks for getting back to me so quickly and for going back and forth with me. Much Appreciated.

Does your last post indicate that you have no expansion packs?

The Kalmar Union says it requires BNW if you hover over it in Workshop
The Lanna Kingdom says "Direct download: Lanna (BNW)" if you hover over it in Workshop
There are two Sikh Empire mods. One has (BNW) in its name. I downloaded the other one and its .modinfo <Description> tag includes "Requires Brave New World".
Pouakai's Tibetan Civilization says it needs Gods and Kings.

Bane's Tibetan Civ (v2) is the only one in your list that doesn't say it requires an extension pack, but &#8230; who knows?

I do not have any extension packs, my bad. I really did think I checked on that, but clearly I missed something, so thanks for setting me straight.

Hello all,

I can't find the * folder/file in the ugc folder (~/Library/Application Support/Steam/userdata/########/ugc/ *). Should I click a different file or what? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

The previous issue has been fixed, but now I have another. I'm trying to install the IGE mod. The extracting step was a bit confusing, as when I compress and unzip the .civ5mod file it's just coming out as the original file. Please help ASAP. Thanks :)

Also, the mods folder is showing up. I have both the .civ5mod.zip and just .civ5mod files in there, and when I open the mods section in game no mods are showing up.

Civ5 on the Mac cannot open .civ5mod files. You must extract the mod and put the extracted folder into the Mods folder. See the first post here. You don't compress it first - it's already compressed when you download it.

If you are not comfortable with finding folders and files, or extracting mods from their compressed downloads, I very strongly recommend using the AppleScript that is linked in the first post of this thread. All you need to do it to use the Steam Workshop to Subscribe to the mod you want. Steam should download the mods, then you can run the AppleScript. The script finds the new mod, expands it, and puts it in the correct location so that it should appear in your Mods listing in-game.

There is no folder when I extract it. When extracting the .civ5mod file, the .civ5mod.zip folder is created, and when I extract that, I get the .civ5mod file again. I'm pretty confused with this; it looks like there's no mod files at all. So, do I put the .civ5mod.zip file into the Mods folder by itself? I must have done it wrong earlier if that's what I'm supposed to do, because the mod wasn't showing up in game. Thanks for your help.

You are not extracting it - you are recompressing it.

The problem you are experiencing has been covered many times in this thread. See post #384 as an example.

You are probably using a file compression/extraction tool like Keka, which has not been set up to recognise that a .civ5mod file is a compressed file. When you try to use it on an unknown file type, it defaults to compressing it, and creates a zip file. So you are just recompressing the already-compressed mod file.

Thanks for the instructions, AlanH!

Does anyone have a problem with force closures? I've just installed InfoAddict, but quite often I find the game crashing during play. For example, when expending a Great Artist or Great Writer, the game crashes as soon as the pop up opens.

Thanks!

Hi, welcome.

You need to determine whether the problem is with the mod. Does it crash like that if you are not running InfoAddict? Someone has reported that Civ5 is crashing since the Yosemite upgrade when a ruins unit upgrade happens.

Hi Alan,

I'm having trouble finding the Contents folder in Yosemite.

It appears that the actual /Steam folder usually in /Application Support is no longer present or shown.

Please see the image showing the current setup. Am I missing something?

Thanks!

(FYI no other problems extracting mod files and adding to Mods folder, and I'll be ok to comment out line 33 when I can find the file)

http://postimg.org/image/smhhh32ff/

Hi. Wrong Library folder. That one is at the root (top level) of your hard drive. The Steam folder is inside the ~/Library folder, which is hidden. Please check out the notes in the first post for ways to get to it.

But a far easier way to enable and install mods is to use the AppleScript that's linked in the first post.

As far as I know, the App Store version of Civ5 doesn't support mods. I have seen one or two posts indicating that copies obtained from non-English App Stores *might* do so, but I have not found a way to enable mods on my UK copy.

I've been using the app store version ever since Civ 5 first appeared there. No problems using mods (though some don't work, most do). I always upgrade to a new OS version as soon as it's released.

Top Bottom