Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

Thanks. You are the first poster to positively indicate that you can enable and run mods in the App Store version prior to Yosemite. Are you getting it from the US or UK Appstore?

Thanks. You are the first poster to positively indicate that you can enable and run mods in the App Store version prior to Yosemite. Are you getting it from the US or UK Appstore?

I've also done it since I got Civ V BNW (Nov. of 2013) and posted elsewhere. Just not the right places, I guess. :) All you have to do is enable the menu and you're good to go. The instructions regarding that (commenting out the line of code and extracting mods properly) worked perfectly. I use the US App Store.

From the App Store in Japan.

Hi friends. I've been using several mods on my civ5 for a long while now. I followed the steps on the first page of this thread and everything worked fine. I just downloaded the new updates (nov. 20, 2014) to civ5 through the apple app store and the updates seemed to have removed my mod button on the main menu. I went ahead and re-did the steps articulated here but I still cannot see the menu option now. Anyone know what's going on or whether there is a step I am missing?

Hi friends. I've been using several mods on my civ5 for a long while now. I followed the steps on the first page of this thread and everything worked fine. I just downloaded the new updates (nov. 20, 2014) to civ5 through the apple app store and the updates seemed to have removed my mod button on the main menu. I went ahead and re-did the steps articulated here but I still cannot see the menu option now. Anyone know what's going on or whether there is a step I am missing?

Well, without knowing just what you did, I can only guess that you missed something. I went through and re-did it with the new patch, and the menu showed up fine.

The only thing I needed to do after downloading the recent Civ 5 update was Step 3 (in AlanH's first post in this thread). That step of commenting out the hiding of the menu in the "MainMenu.lua" file is necessary anytime you update the program. (Using Yosemite 10.10.1, btw.) Make sure you use a text editor that allows you to set the correct permissions for the file (as AlanH explains in his instructions).

When Civ5 is updated, it is possible that the mainmenu.lua gets replaced. If that happens you need to re-edit it to enable the menu.

If you used the Applescript to do the edit, and want to use it again, you may first have to delete the backup file that it created previously. It's called main menu_orig.lua, and if it is still present then the Applescript will assume it has already edited the file, and will not edit the replacement.

My mods button is gone as well (playing on appstore, with Yosemite). I checked the MainMenu.lua file but it still has the line I commented in the first time I set it up. Do I have re-edit MainMenu.lua even though it still has the correct comment in there?

I had the script running perfectly, but my games began crashing. I reinstalled my game and now the Mods tab is gone, and the script only reads:

Last login: Sat Dec 6 21:53:02 on ttys000
/usr/bin/python '/Users/benjaminroberts/Downloads/Civ5 Enable Steam Mods.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/civ5enablesteammods.py'
Benjamins-MacBook-Pro:~ benjaminroberts$ /usr/bin/python '/Users/benjaminroberts/Downloads/Civ5 Enable Steam Mods.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/civ5enablesteammods.py'
Civ5 Enable Steam Mods 1.0.3
Benjamins-MacBook-Pro:~ benjaminroberts$

Do you guys have any idea how to fix this? I'm running the game on Steam. I am a total idiot with computers. I apologize if my question has already been answered, I'm pretty new to this whole forum thing. Thanks in advance.

I've sent you the following PM:

Hi

This is probably because the script doesn't cope well with updates to Civ5.

When you first run the script, it edits the MainMenu.lua file to enable the Mods menu, and it places a backup of that file in the same folder, called MainMenu_orig.lua. If you run the script again, to install new mods, it detects that the backup file exists, and doesn't edit the file again.

When an update or reinstallation happens later, the MainMenu.lua file that was edited is replaced with a new copy. However, the backup copy still exists. So when you run the script again, it doesn't think it needs to edit the file, and so your Mods menu is not re-enabled.

The fix is to go to ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/UI/FrontEnd/ and find the backup file and trash it. Then run the script again. You can get to that folder by selecting "Go to folder …" in the Finder's Go menu, copy/paste the entire path into the dialog box, and hit return.

Please let me know if this works for you.

Hi

I've followed the directions to the letter, and have been entirely successful uploading and playing mods in Civ 5 BNW...excellent work Alan. My question however has to do with the Expansionist achievement (Download a mod). Some have said it is impossible to get since the switch to Steam Workshop, but others have reported getting the achievement by using the in-game Steam browser to upload mods. I have tried all the permutations I could think of, and while I suspect those reporting that they have acquired the achievement are Windows users only, I still hold out some hope that Mac users can acquire this achievement (it is actually my last possible one to get). The only idea I have left is changing the steam download preferences to place the downloaded mod files in whatever folder works for activating the achievement (but I don't know what that folder might be...). One issue would be if the downloaded mod file is already expanded in Windows versus what has to be done in Mac by expanding it and moving it ourselves. If anyone has gained the Expansionist achievement on a Mac machine and knows what they did I would love to read about it!

Hello I posted on here before about this but was unable to find a solution. Not being massively technical. :crazyeye:

I was wondering if you could offer any more help?

I have added the Mod button to Civ BNW on Mac. But the button does not click, so I can't set up any Mods.

I have installed a Mod in the Mods folder following instructions.

Can anyone help please?

Hi

It sounds as if your MainMenu.lua file may be corrupted. How did you edit it - using TextEdit or using the AppleScript that's linked in the first post here?

Do any of the buttons on the main menu click? Also, which version of BNW do you have - Steam or AppStore?

Hi

It sounds as if your MainMenu.lua file may be corrupted. How did you edit it - using TextEdit or using the AppleScript that's linked in the first post here?

Do any of the buttons on the main menu click? Also, which version of BNW do you have - Steam or AppStore?

I used Text Wrangler and then I double checked it again today in text edit.
I have BNW bought via Steam

Thanks

You may need to verify the local files using Steam - right click the application in the Steam library screen and follow the local files menu.

If Steam replaces the MainMenu.lua file, you will then need to remove the backup copy of that file that was originally created by the AppleScript, then re-run the AppleScript to edit it again. If the backup copy is present, then the script will not re-edit the file as it thinks it's already done.

You may need to verify the local files using Steam - right click the application in the Steam library screen and follow the local files menu.

If Steam replaces the MainMenu.lua file, you will then need to remove the backup copy of that file that was originally created by the AppleScript, then re-run the AppleScript to edit it again. If the backup copy is present, then the script will not re-edit the file as it thinks it's already done.

Sorry I didn't use Apple Script, I used Text Wrangler and Text Edit. The LUA file won't open with apple script when I say 'open with'

You don't use Applescript as the editor. My recommended way to do this is to run the AppleScript that is linked in the first post. The script does all the hard work for you, and installs your subscribed Steam Workshop mods as well.

If you really prefer to do the editing manually, then don't use TextEdit to edit the MainMenu.lua file, as it can corrupt the file. TextEdit changes two hyphens into a special Unicode character that the software doesn't understand. But TextWrangler should work OK.

THANK YOU IT WORKED! I've been trying to figure this out for months!

Great to see you got it working. Sorry it took so long!

Top Bottom