1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Installing Mods on Civ5 for Mac

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Macintosh' started by AlanH, Oct 11, 2012.

1. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Did you enable read & write for everyone on both the file and the FrontEnd folder?

2. m4verick

m4verick Chieftain

No I did not :D
    Now it's working and I'm playing with Mod, thanks Alan!

3. yayalani

yayalani Chieftain

Hey everyone - first post here. I followed all of the directions in terms of installing Mods for macs (edited the "ModsButton" on MainMenu.lua through TextEdit, installed Mods, and ran script).

However, every time I enable Mods, I get "Invalid Version" and can't click anything on the Main Menu page. I even wasted 2 hours reinstalling the entire game, but alas - nothing seems to work. (Note: I have the Steam App downloaded, not the Apple Store version as far as I know)

I would love some help if anyone knows what to do. I've been trying to read through the thread but people seem to have resolved this issue at the very least after reinstalling so I'm not sure what to do anymore.

----
    I think I may have resolved the issue by reading back a few posts (sorry for not reading in more detail earlier). But just in case anyone new runs into the same problem - the Text Editor converted my two dashes into one - henceforth corrupting my file. Per AlanH's advice, I copied and pasted the two dashes... and it worked! Hurrah. :)

4. ZBRZ

ZBRZ Chieftain

Hey guys,

Sorry if this has been posted before, but whenever I run the Civ5 Enable Mods script I get this error:

OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Anybody know what's wrong?

5. AlanH

Hi, welcome :wavey:

Which version of Civ5 do you have - steam or APP store?

Does the error message state which file or directory is missing?

6. ZBRZ

ZBRZ Chieftain

I'm running the Steam Version on a mid 2010 iMac. All DLC and Expansions installed.

Here's the full readout from the error:

**********-iMac-2:~ richard$ /usr/bin/python '/Users/*******/Downloads/Civ5 Enable Steam Mods.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/civ5enablesteammods.py'
    Civ5 Enable Steam Mods 1.0.3
    Activating the MODS button...
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/Users/*******/Downloads/Civ5 Enable Steam Mods.app/Contents/Resources/Scripts/civ5enablesteammods.py", line 42, in <module>
    os.rename(path1, path0)
    OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

Stars in place of personal info.

7. AlanH

The error message is saying that the following file does not exist on your system:

/Users/<user_name>/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/UI/FrontEnd/MainMenu.lua

This is the file that the script needs to edit to enable your MODS menu option, and it is always available in a fully working Steam installation of Civ5. So I don't know why the Applescript can't find it, unless you are running ask a different user from the one who installed Cicv5.

Please see if you can find it yourself as follows:

Using the Finder - Select Finder->Go->Go to Folder&#8230;
    Enter the following path: ~/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps/common/Sid Meier's Civilization V/Civilization V.app/Contents/Home/assets/UI/FrontEnd/

If this takes you to a folder, you should be able to see the MainMenu.lua file in there. If it doesn't find the folder, then there is something non-standard about your Steam installation.

8. ZBRZ

ZBRZ Chieftain

Hey!

For whatever reason my Civ V install was a mess. Somehow steam was still able to run it but it wasn't even in the right folder. I've corrected that and everything appears to be working now. Thanks!

9. AlanH

10. danzantes

danzantes Chieftain

Hi, many tks for the instruction.

I was successful to see mod (e.g. your attached dynamiceras) from the game menu.

However when I tried to download the mod "Enhanced User Interface DLC v1.25e" from this forum, I got the folder eui_v1_25e.

I tried double click and move the resulted folder UI_bc1 to the MODS (next to the dynamic eras), not shown from the game menu.

I tried keka and set preference to "Always extract", drag the eui_v1_25e and got keka error code 2 using "p7zip" fatal error.

Any idea?

11. AlanH

Hi, welcome. That's not a mod, it's a DLC package, so you have to install it in DLC, not in MODS. Please read the installation instructions given by bc1 carefully.

12. danzantes

danzantes Chieftain

Got it, tks.

It's just confusing since the file is under Civ 5 Downloads - Modpacks!

13. Prodigal

Prodigal Chieftain

Hi guys,

I got to this stage:

But when I look in the /Library/Containers/ folder there is no sign of the Civ folder? Any ideas on where this would be?
    I'm definitely using the AppStore version, not the steam version.

14. AlanH

Hi, welcome.

At the risk of sounding like a cracked record, are you looking in /Library/, or ~/Library/ ? The first one is at the top level of your hard drive, and is NOT the one you want, but doesn't include a Containers folder. The second one IS the one you want, and is hidden in your Home directory. You need to use the Alt key in Finder to get to it in the Go menu.

15. tommygun983

tommygun983 Chieftain

Hello, Alan.
    I have tried to use mods on my Macintosh, however it displays the same mods every single time no matter which mods are installed or not, also when I try to use these mods, they do not work at all. Is there a solution to this?

16. AlanH

Which version of the game are you running? AppStore or Steam?

Where are you looking at the list of mods? Which new mods are you trying to install, and how are you installing them?

17. tommygun983

tommygun983 Chieftain

I am running it on steam, and I have installed all kinds of mods and uninstalled, with none working. I install them by going onto the workshop and subscribing to them.

18. AlanH

Have you run the Applescript to install them? Or are you installing them manually? If the latter, are you extracting each mod from the .civ5mod file that is downloaded by the Workshop?

19. tommygun983

tommygun983 Chieftain

I have installed them directly through the workshop, and I am not extracting the files.

20. AlanH

Workshop doesn't install directly into the Mods folder on the Mac, as far as I know. That's why we have an AppleScript to do the work required. Look back at the first post to find a link to the post that provides the script file.