1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Instant Urban Railways?

Discussion in 'Civ1 - General Discussions' started by Osvaldo Manso, Jul 21, 2015.

1. Osvaldo Manso

Osvaldo Manso Warlord

In my current game, I found something awkward: I have founded a city adjacent to another civ's city. Suddenly, I noticed that both cities were connected by a railway. It's not easy to tell in the map view but it's clear when pressing 'T' for showing the transport network. The strange thing was that I had not discovered Railroad neither did the other civ. In fact, the game was pretty much in its begginings.

I don't remember seeing this before, although I avoid building cities adjacent to other cities, either mine or not. Have anyone experienced this phenomenon of instant urban railways? Just for the record, I play version 474.03.

2. C1v1l1z@t10n

C1v1l1z@t10n Warlord

Yeah if you build two cities it looks like railway, but if city is destroyed the railroad is gone and you always lose speed visit a city regardless if it is railroad or not.
    So this is "normal" to me even if yeah it is strange when no one knows about Railroad yet :) but again you don't gain anything on it.

3. Renergy

Renergy Warlord

The game just display the city squares as railroaded, but you don't gain the boost for food/production you get with real railroad. So, it's essentially nothing more than a display glitch, connected to the fact that (in vanilla civ) you cannot railroad a city square [the only regular way how to have a city square with railroad is to railroad the square before founding the city - rather impractical for early expansion ;-)].

For the city square to "look railroaded" if there is a railroad nearby city square, the display algorithm behaves as if the city square is always railroaded. Hopefully I didn't make this too confusing.

Btw, darkpanda made an excellent patch, that makes (real) railroading of a city square possible.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=527655

4. aneta.vratna

aneta.vratna Chieftain

I have a question from similar rank:
    - you discover RailRoad
    - you build RailRoad around your time
    - when you drive through the given town (that lies on the RailRoad) - you get penalized !
    How can I make it, that even the town is on the RailRoad really ?

5. Valen

Valen TWAYF Builder

Build the railroad first, then found the city.

6. kirkham7

kirkham7 Warlord

Check out jCivED, Darkpanda has made a patch for the program to let you railroad your city with your settler. It works great.

Edit:
    Previously mentioned above. :)

7. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

That's called a railway station. It's where passengers get on/off.

8. aneta.vratna

aneta.vratna Chieftain

Yeah, building a railroad first and then founding a city, that is what I do in the modern ages. Sure.
    Anyway: your answer confirmed to me, that there really is no better workaround.
    Thanx for that confirmation.

9. Theov

Theov Deity

Yeah kinda dangerous to go full speed 150mph through a city.