Instantaneous movement wrecks multiplayer War

CaptainMidnight

Warlord
Instantaneous movement on multiplayer ruins war. The game, especially in modern times, becomes almost a real time startegy game except it is furiously unresponsive. I find this a very unCiv trait in the game. However, if you play turn based multiplayer, especially on Marathon, which I always do it can take ages and become a very boring waiting game. In this sense, IM is a godsend for pushing the game along in peace time. In war time it is annoying. Anyone attacking a human controlled city once railway is setup will certainly know.

1. I have a simple solution; simply switch unit movement to turn based during wartime. The aggressor and his vassals moves his units first, once finished he clicks a special war mode button to signify unit movement ended. Naturally the defenders and vassals move next. Of course, players also have to press the red end turn button as usual, the warmode button is sole for miltary unit movement.

2. In the case of a three or more way war where people are both the agg/def then the war mode movement orders the turn into the order in which a civ joins the war, the most recent at the top of the list if they declare war, and second position for the most recent for the defenders. The initiative remains with the attacker.

3. All non-combatant civs can move the same as usual, they obviously don't have to wait for a turn to move units.

4. Workers, Spies, Fishing Boats or any other non combat units move as usual and be moved after you've pressed the warmode button.

5. All city, diplo, trade etc works as normal.

The only drawback is that a massive war between humans would slow the game down for other human players not at war. But I feel this would be a small price to pay inorder to matain a fluid peace time coupled with Civ like war- thoughtout, planned and cunning.

If anyone can point me in the direction of what I need to do to mod the game thus, (my modding skills are poor but I'll have a bash) then let me know.

Top Bottom