Interesting Observations

I've turned it on a couple times but it always seemed to cripple the AI far more than it did me.

Tried the Raging Barbarians lately? the BetterAI serves them really good :hammer2:

Raging Barbarians ??!! Regular ones made me lately sooooooooooo :mad::mad::mad::mad:
that I was lately really close to turn them off completely from my current game. Not only they were coming, and coming continuously, not only they had badly located cities, so I had to raze them anyway, but the AI was making a big joke about combat results. After losing 3 or 4 units with couple promotions in >90 fights I really had to calm down a bit.

Tried the Raging Barbarians lately? the BetterAI serves them really good :hammer2:

I haven't, simply because I can only image how deadly they can be. I generally play Snail games with Start as Minors, Barb Civ, Revolutions, and an ancient age advanced start (to simulate 10,000BC for starting civs); more barbarians thrown in seems like it would either be overwhelming or result in early lv6+ units.

Raging Barbarians ??!! Regular ones made me lately sooooooooooo :mad::mad::mad::mad:
that I was lately really close to turn them off completely from my current game. Not only they were coming, and coming continuously, not only they had badly located cities, so I had to raze them anyway, but the AI was making a big joke about combat results. After losing 3 or 4 units with couple promotions in >90 fights I really had to calm down a bit.

I had a similar issue with regular civs. I lost a few 98+% battles and the AI always places cities stupidly. Why does the AI insist on massive overlap, then chop the forests which overlap?

Lately, together with my brother, I started a MP game on plain, vanilla CiV IV. After playing RoM, coming back to first version is like driving fully equipped grand vitara, and then coming back to 1996 opel astra....... I tell you, strange feeling.

Lately, together with my brother, I started a MP game on plain, vanilla CiV IV. After playing RoM, coming back to first version is like driving fully equipped grand vitara, and then coming back to 1996 opel astra....... I tell you, strange feeling.
I have that feeling too.

Here is an intersting place for a second city.:hmm:

Looks good to me. Allows for expansion and blocks the American expansion. If you have Afforess' mods then cities can use spaces 3 squares away if they get culture enough.
It is a good place. I just have not seen the AI build in such a good place before.;)

It is a good place. I just have not seen the AI build in such a good place before.;)

Jdog showed that better AI .82 was a 23% improvement over the AI's decision from .81. If your playing with my beta, you have .82. RoM 2.8 only has .81.

I suppose we should feel scared right? ;)

Jdog showed that better AI .82 was a 23% improvement over the AI's decision from .81. If your playing with my beta, you have .82. RoM 2.8 only has .81.

The AI is makeing better decisions.:scared::run:
:lol:

Jdog showed that better AI .82 was a 23% improvement over the AI's decision from .81.

It sounds like a good commercial.;) 23% exactly.......:goodjob: It is very hard to generally evaluate something what is so incalculable, not to mention giving such an exact result.

Just take into consideration that 23% x 0 still gives you 0. I mean, if someone considers AI to be stupid, 23% more of stupidity gives you no positive effect :lol:

Oh yeah, we'd better all hide under the desk :)

It sounds like a good commercial.;) 23% exactly.......:goodjob: It is very hard to generally evaluate something what is so incalculable, not to mention giving such an exact result.

No, it's an actual result. Better AI is compatible with itself, since it doesn't change anything that breaks saves, so he ran Better AI on a saved map with version.81 and noted the scores after 100 turn. He ran he same scenario with version .82j, and the scores were 23% higher during the same amount of turns.

No, it's an actual result. Better AI is compatible with itself, since it doesn't change anything that breaks saves, so he ran Better AI on a saved map with version.81 and noted the scores after 100 turn. He ran he same scenario with version .82j, and the scores were 23% higher during the same amount of turns.
Interesting.
Any randomness in the result? Perhaps a statistical analysis is in order?

OK, I was a little bit sarcastic, but still: it would be good to get results based at least on couple samples. Anyway, it is good news anyway.

Interesting.
Any randomness in the result? Perhaps a statistical analysis is in order?

23% was an average. He ran the same map 10 times, 5 with the older AI, 5 with latest.

Interesting fact from my current game. It is 1842 AD and I just got astronomy. I realised there is no way I can advance to transhuman era until the game ends (2100). I thought I was terribly behind, but I met two civs so far, and one is 200 ahead (5-6 techs) and Indians are even more outdated. I use RoM 2.8, Afforess modmod, prince level.

What is your experience? Is it possible to discover all the techs during the game?

Interesting fact from my current game. It is 1842 AD and I just got astronomy. I realised there is no way I can advance to transhuman era until the game ends (2100). I thought I was terribly behind, but I met two civs so far, and one is 200 ahead (5-6 techs) and Indians are even more outdated. I use RoM 2.8, Afforess modmod, prince level.

What is your experience? Is it possible to discover all the techs during the game?
I haven't gotten much past 1900 with RoM 2.8, but I have seen very different tech progress in different games. I think it varies with the difficulty level and the number of cities you manage to get.

I haven't gotten much past 1900 with RoM 2.8, but I have seen very different tech progress in different games. I think it varies with the difficulty level and the number of cities you manage to get.

On standard map size with 80% land and monarch difficulty I can probably get to Transhuman age around 1800 AD with about 40 cities at the end of modern era.
But if you don't expand your empire properly (as in 25% larger than largest rival) there's really no way to compete with the AI on the long term without massive military investments

Another free thought:
Problems with game speed makes us to limit the map and number of civs. Someone told me that this second setting is crucial for the game performance.

Limitation on number of civs can get you more room for your expansion. However, in my opinion it makes the game less exciting. Why? If you set up i.e. 8 civs on giant map, they would become huge empires with 30-50 cities. It would mean that international affairs would be very static and stable, since there is a huge problem to defeat such a big empire. Big number of smaller countries, with various speed of development would make more opportunities for diplomacy, and....wars. What is your opinion?

Another free thought:
Problems with game speed makes us to limit the map and number of civs. Someone told me that this second setting is crucial for the game performance.

Limitation on number of civs can get you more room for your expansion. However, in my opinion it makes the game less exciting. Why? If you set up i.e. 8 civs on giant map, they would become huge empires with 30-50 cities. It would mean that international affairs would be very static and stable, since there is a huge problem to defeat such a big empire. Big number of smaller countries, with various speed of development would make more opportunities for diplomacy, and....wars. What is your opinion?

With Afforess' DLL I can play 18 civs in Huge map with just 30-40 seconds turn time by early Renaissance. It is A LOT better than former time of about 80-90 seconds or worse :D.

With Afforess' DLL I can play 18 civs in Huge map

18 civs, huge map :undecide: How many cities can you build before there is no room for more expansion, and you need to go for blood?

with just 30-40 seconds turn time by early Renaissance. It is A LOT better than former time of about 80-90 seconds or worse :D.

Glad to hear that. I know, we can play in windowed mode. I know I can watch some p... ehm, I can surf the Internet :mischief: meanwhile, I know I can read the book, but still long pauses between turns can really spoil all the fun. 50% speed increase makes Afforess our :king: (no offense, Zappara ;) )

Top Bottom