Interesting real-life article on naming Macedonia

MIS

Prince
Interesting real-life article on naming Macedonia, by the BBC. For the non-English, the BBC is very well respected in England. It's anti-Israel, but I'm unaware of any pro or anti Greek sentiment (and it doesn't go either way). I thought it would interest a lot of people here, after seeing the discussions after Macedonia was released as a DLC. I don't work for them or anything like that:

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-40781213

Interesting article. However, as a Greek I feel that I must say that the Skopiani (people of the Republic of Skopje) are ethnically, racially, and culturally different from the native Macedonians of Greece. I hope a resolution is found soon and that the confusion clears.

Glad you enjoyed it. I'm not Greek, so don't know anything about the situation.

For the non-English, the BBC is very well respected in England. It's anti-Israel, but I'm unaware of any pro or anti Greek sentiment (and it doesn't go either way).

I'm not sure I would describe the BBC as anti-Israel. I believe it draws even higher levels of vehement criticism from those who consider it to be a Zionist mouthpiece, in addition to those who consider it to be anti-Israel propaganda. The BBC is not a perfect organisation by any means, but in this case I'd say if both sides think you're biased against them, you're probably fairly even-handed.

On to the matter at hand, it's a long-standing issue, and one I believe came up in the inevitable YouTube and Twitter comments after the announcement of the Macedonian civ. Nationalists do rather seem to like appropriating the conquests of ancient warmongers :lol:.

Top Bottom