1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Introducing: PyScenario - easy-to-use scenario event scripting for RFC

Discussion in 'Rhye's and Fall Modmods' started by Baldyr, May 16, 2010.

1. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

Well, I wasn't conveying any secret information or anything, but rather was trying to figure out how on earth to work with this... individual. The personal and candid approach didn't work. :p Hopefully he finds somewhere else to direct both his negativity and creativity, because I doubt anyone in this community would miss him if he makes like a banana and splits.

2. G-Max

G-Max Deity

Precisely. More importantly, though, the information seemed relevant to the discussion at hand.

You don't like my melodramatic antics? Aww, that makes me a sad panda :sad:

Come on; most geniuses are eccentric. Why should any different be expected of me? If it's any consolation, I never really meant any of the stuff about hating you. I just like to add color to my conversations. Also, PyScenario scripting is pretty simple once you know what you're doing; the only complex part was my attempts to use it far beyond the sorts of things that it was designed for. And in the process of doing so, I found a glitch! I'm actually more proud of finding that glitch than I would have been of anything that I would have actually accomplished with the program. But I'm getting off-track.

The truth is that PyScenario is easy to use, just as you intended; it's just not easy to learn, and that's true of most really cool software. It's a lovely toy, really, and if I ever get around to finishing learning Python and I decide to take up the mantle in your absence (as you seem to keep suggesting I should do...), I'll most likely just continue improving PyScenario instead of cooking up something new. Or maybe I'll do both. I was thinking of doing something vaguely similar to HTML or XML, in the sense that <> tags would be used to mark the separate parts of the trigger:

<event>
    <settings>
    <players>
    <player1="Romans">
    <player2="Carthaginians">
    </players>
    <locations>
    <loc1=whatever Rome's coordinates are>
    <loc2=54,42>
    </locations>
    </settings>
    <triggers>
    <trigger=raze,aggressor=player1,victim=player2,loc=loc2>
    </triggers>
    <actions>
    <action=unitspawn,unit=Praetorian,numunits=2,owner=player1,loc=loc1>
    <action=message,"Rome has just razed Carthago Nova! This has boosted morale in Rome, leading to increased recruitment.">
    </actions>
    </event>

Of course, doing anything remotely like this would require learning not just Python but also competent XML, and events would be much more cumbersome to script than in PyScenario. BUT you could do more and cooler stuff, and it wouldn't necessarily be restricted to just one mod or game type or anything.

I dunno. Get Embryodead to do it :lol:

3. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

That's not up to you to decide. Usually people have good reasons to write things via PM, so it's at least advisable to ask the respective person for admission before you post.

I would be offended on a matter of principle on such an occasion no matter the actual content of what's posted, but if Baldyr's okay with it, then I'm okay with it as well.

4. G-Max

G-Max Deity

Hey, at least I left out the part where she's an overweight paraplegic black Jewish transvestite midget who smokes :lol:
    Moderator Action: Flaming is not allowed here.

5. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

:eek: I'm coming to understand Baldyr's decision (the wasting breath part, that is) ...

6. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

The fact is that I'm not ok with it. Because I'm able to decide for myself what I wanna convey privately and what I wanna say publicly. The fact that there is no real reason to hide what I said privately doesn't make it ok to post it either. So G-Max can pretty much do whatever he wants - leave the PM out in the open or delete it. Any possible "harm" is already done.

7. G-Max

G-Max Deity

There should be a name for this effect where I come into a thread posting purely on-topic, and the discussion somehow degenerates to being about me. I think it's remarkably annoying to all involved, yet people just can't stop.

Well, private messages are usually for sensitive information that you have a specific reason for not wanting everyone else to see. Is there any particular reason why you considered this information PM-worthy? I promise not to post your thoughts on the matter if you reveal them to me via PM (and trust me, despite my often outlandish behavior, I'm not a promise-breaker).

8. killerkebab

killerkebab Prince

That isn't his point. His point is that when you post a PM someone has sent you without warning the person who wrote the PM in the first place, you've effectively decided to "publish" their thoughts. It should be easy to see why he is offended.

What is actually in the message isn't important. What you did could be (and clearly is) considered rude.

9. G-Max

G-Max Deity

It was mostly a compilation of information that Baldyr had already expressed in this thread. The information had already been "published".

10. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

You still don't get it, do you? It doesn't matter what's in a PM, it's a private message, and unless its author says otherwise, it's not meant to be "published". Your judgment on the matter is completely irrelevant.

11. G-Max

G-Max Deity

That sort of reasoning falls apart when the message exclusively contains non-private content.

I am done with this thread for now. Either the bug will get fixed or it won't.

12. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

-> next time, use the .
    Content does not matter, as long as publishing a PM is not needed in the context of the subject (e.g. in forum games).

13. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

I agree that content doesn't matter. Perhaps I should have reported it. :dunno:

14. G-Max

G-Max Deity

Maybe I'm just not reading thoroughly enough, but I can find nothing in the rules about private messages.

15. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I'll bring it up in the staff forum.
    Further conversation please via PM and now back to topic.

16. G-Max

G-Max Deity

Here's one suggestion: if no coordinates are given for .city(), it should use the trigger's target tile.

Also, every time I try to kill the Babylonians and then revive them, they just end up razing Babylon and exterminating themselves. Am I missing something?

Code:
    Trigger("BabylonRises").date(-1125).player(3).respawn().target(76,40).flip(bMinorsOnly=False,bAIOnly=False).message("The Pashe Dynasty has freed Babylon from foreign domination!")

17. civfan11596

civfan11596 Chieftain

Is there any chance that you'd make this compatible with regular BTS?

18. Baldyr

Baldyr "Hit It"

If I had the time I'd rewrite the whole thing, sure. :p

19. LuKo

LuKo The Royal Guard

I assume that PyScenario is fully compatible with RFCM 1.22?

I use "civics()" command and theoretically it works. But the turn after unavailable civics are set back to basic ones. How can I avoid that?

20. The Turk

The Turk Deity

Hey Baldyr,

How hard would it be to make this compatible with SoI or DoC?