Invisible unit, submarine bug in GOTM?

Markus5

Code Monkey
Is there an invisible unit or submarine bug in GOTM? Without warning, I'm at war. The war declaration is silent. When the bad guys started marching up after me, I checked and was at war. I rewound the game and replayed the steps and found that moving a new battleship out of a city into an empty sea square caused a silent declaration of war. There was no popup. I didn't have subs.

I've seen the error when moving a ship to a blank square you get a message saying "Are you sure.. This will cause war.." I can live with that.

This was completely silent.

This is Civ3 1.29f with the GOTM mods installed to play GOTM38.

(I posted a version of this question on the General Discussions Quick Questions forum, too.)

Are you sure this didn't have some other cause? I have discovered I was at war once before because I had a peace treaty linked to a lux deal. The trade route failed through no fault of my own, and I discovered I was at war with no declaration. This was before the industrial era, so no subs. Since then I avoid mixing peace deals with lux or resource trades.

The sub bug is well-known; if you have a ship that you've used Go-To with and it runs across a submarine it will just attack without warning, and if you're not paying attention between turns you could end up at war without knowing it.

Thinkng back, it could be almost anything, I guess. I've had silent declarations of war seemingly linked to a ROP deal with an AI. There wasn't a MPP or alliance, but only the ROP. Again, re-thinking, there could have been a lux involved in that deal, and the lux disappeared. I've been wary of ROP deals since.

Well, what ever it was, it made me change my habits. Now, I always make a pass thru the advisor screens every turn.

Markus5 said:
Is there an invisible unit or submarine bug in GOTM? Without warning, I'm at war. The war declaration is silent. When the bad guys started marching up after me, I checked and was at war. I rewound the game and replayed the steps and found that moving a new battleship out of a city into an empty sea square caused a silent declaration of war. There was no popup. I didn't have subs.

I've seen the error when moving a ship to a blank square you get a message saying "Are you sure.. This will cause war.." I can live with that.

This was completely silent.
I've had the same happen in one of my first games, and I've seen others report it, too.

It's one of the most-known bugs in C3C. If you look in the C3C bugs section, you'll find the current bugs that the game has.

Chieftess said:
It's one of the most-known bugs in C3C. If you look in the C3C bugs section, you'll find the current bugs that the game has.
But this was vanilla, not C3C.

Top Bottom