IOT Developmental Thread

Of course! I'll take free money!

Seriously though, what if someone else wants to play in Turkey?

turkey is a large area. if you happen to claim Istanbul ill just play as Greece. and if both is taken, ill just be Canada (if the new world is open) or Egypt.

Not sure what I'm voting on here.

I have conveniently provide the links to them. If only you'd just click on them... :rolleyes:

I know its not all about colonization, but there should be a focus on colonization, like real life!

We've been over this. Historical accuracy be damned.

I'd like some comments about my rules for the Natives (South Africa and Australia would be counted.)

While its not particularly anyone's fault, allowing Native Canoes to go to Europe seems powergamey to me.

You know my position: no penalties based on geography.

Joe says population and military do not really matter in this game. i can have 120 million people and 500,000 people in the military and he wont care. cause it isnt supposed to be historically accurate. you can do the same thing you know.just keep the military below 5% of your population.

Right. Your economy and military are limited by your gold income and your armies anyway. Even if you have 20 million people in your military but only two armies then you'll have 20 million soldiers in two armies. Only a few thousand will actually be armed, and the rest are cannon fodder. That's a good use of manpower right there! :goodjob:

I don't even think they did, but there is no way the entire world was tangled in alliances.

That's why we made a limit on how many treaties you can sign each turn, which you would know if you read the damn rules!

turkey is a large area. if you happen to claim Istanbul ill just play as Greece. and if both is taken, ill just be Canada (if the new world is open) or Egypt.

No claiming before the game starts! :mad:

Joecoolyo, can we ban anyone who make this kind of post from now on?

I have conveniently provide the links to them. If only you'd just click on them... :rolleyes:

Will look as soon as this post is done.

We've been over this. Historical accuracy be damned.

I don't agree. I assume I'm allowed to disagree and the community will decide?

Either this or limit the number of NA nations, I'd vote YES to either one.

Historical accuracy may be not necessarily compatible with this game, but I wouldn't curse it and throw it away. Otherwise there would be machine guns in 1500 and Mathalamus' portals would be legal. I'm ok with stretching history, but I'm not OK with cursing it out completely.

For instance, the Aztecs mounting an effective defense against the Spanish was a stretch, but a livable stretch. Hypothetically, Montezuma's men could have, like, defeated Spain via luck. I'm OK with the Aztecs having a chance in a war, even an equal chance (Or any native nation.)

A canoe reaching Europe... just isn't possible. It ruins all roleplaying, completely.

Making colonization completely impossible by everyone starting in the Americas also ruins a Renaissance game.

I say just, slightly nerf the native nations or limit their number. We don't even need both. I'm not saying nerf them to the historical extent, I'm saying stretch their abilities to the greatest extent, stretch historical accuracy, but don't kill it completely.

You know my position: no penalties based on geography.

Right. Your economy and military are limited by your gold income and your armies anyway. Even if you have 20 million people in your military but only two armies then you'll have 20 million soldiers in two armies. Only a few thousand will actually be armed, and the rest are cannon fodder. That's a good use of manpower right there! :goodjob:

Still powergaming even if there's no effect.

Joecoolyo, can we ban anyone who make this kind of post from now on?

While I won't state whether or not I agree, Joecoolyo can be tough. I recommend you take this type of post to PM.

I don't agree. I assume I'm allowed to disagree and the community will decide?

Either this or limit the number of NA nations, I'd vote YES to either one.

I vote NO to both.

Historical accuracy may be not necessarily compatible with this game, but I wouldn't curse it and throw it away. Otherwise there would be machine guns in 1500 and Mathalamus' portals would be legal. I'm ok with stretching history, but I'm not OK with cursing it out completely.

Portals have already been declared illegal IIRC. And according to my draft if you invent machine guns in the 1500 I as Tech GM will impose a surprise penalty on you. Trust me, you don't want to try.

For instance, the Aztecs mounting an effective defense against the Spanish was a stretch, but a livable stretch. Hypothetically, Montezuma's men could have, like, defeated Spain via luck. I'm OK with the Aztecs having a chance in a war, even an equal chance (Or any native nation.)

Actually, the Aztecs would've defeated the Spanish if it wasn't for two things - smallpox, and the Spanish convincing the Aztecs' Indian enemies to help them and besiege Tenochtitlan by their thousands.

A canoe reaching Europe... just isn't possible. It ruins all roleplaying, completely.

I. Am. Going. To. Say. This. Once. If. Indians. Reach. Europe. It. Will. Not. Be. By. Canoe. They. Will. Be. On. A. Large. Ship. Capable. Of. Crossing. The. Ocean. In. The. First. Place. Because. In. This. Game. Indians. Will. Not. Be. Limited. To. Only. Building. Canoes. They. Will. Be. Able. To. Build. Larger. Ships. I. Repeat. Indians. Will. Not. Arrive. In. Europe. By. Canoes. Because. This. Is. Not. A. Historically. Accurate. Game.

Making colonization completely impossible by everyone starting in the Americas also ruins a Renaissance game.

Who says everyone will start in the Americas? And, if that's the case, then there's an empty Afro-Eurasia to colonize.

I vote NO to both.

Portals have already been declared illegal IIRC. And according to my draft if you invent machine guns in the 1500 I as Tech GM will impose a surprise penalty on you. Trust me, you don't want to try.

Actually, the Aztecs would've defeated the Spanish if it wasn't for two things - smallpox, and the Spanish convincing the Aztecs' Indian enemies to help them and besiege Tenochtitlan by their thousands.

I. Am. Going. To. Say. This. Once. If. Indians. Reach. Europe. It. Will. Not. Be. By. Canoe. They. Will. Be. On. A. Large. Ship. Capable. Of. Crossing. The. Ocean. In. The. First. Place. Because. In. This. Game. Indians. Will. Not. Be. Limited. To. Only. Building. Canoes. They. Will. Be. Able. To. Build. Larger. Ships. I. Repeat. Indians. Will. Not. Arrive. In. Europe. By. Canoes. Because. This. Is. Not. A. Historically. Accurate. Game.

Who says everyone will start in the Americas? And, if that's the case, then there's an empty Afro-Eurasia to colonize.

My vision for the game would be a crowded Europe and Asia, with a wide open New World to Colonize. I recommend the New World not be able to be begun in.

As for the Indians, we are starting in the "Renaissance" and so the game has to make some sense for that era. I say make Eurasia and North Africa the only legal starting positions.

It's ok math, as for Dommy, I thought I put a rest to this discussion a couple pages ago? There will be no penalties on the Native Americans and that's final. Anymore discussion and I won't hesistate to take charge.

Sure, no problem with that.

But lets stop clogging up the thread, and get back on topic.

Voting Round III

Revised Draft Rule
- Starting/Expansion rules 10/10 PASSED
- Economy rules 9/10 PASSED
- Research/Technology rules 9/10 PASSED
- War and Diplomacy rules 8/10 PASSED
- Housekeeping rules rules 10/10 PASSED

Ideas from Lighthearter
- Lighthearter's Combat System (LCS) 4/10 NOT PASSED
- Advisors 4/10 NOT PASSED

Unit Upkeep
- Subtract a small amount of gold per turn as unit upkeep costs, and forcibly disband units if upkeep > income. 9/10 PASSED

The Cabinet

So far this is the GM line-up:

Executive GM (responsible for updates, claims, diplomacy, discipline) - Joecoolyo
Economy and Technology GM - Taillesskangaru
Combat GM - Lighthearter
Cartographer - CivGeneral

Expressed interest:
Omega124 - combat
Droopytofu - any

If anyone want to suggest a new position and/or volunteer for a position you still can.

Later today, I'll post the final, updated draft of the rules (mainly, adding unit upkeep costs and tidying up and rewording some parts to make them clearer). After that, if no one else has anything to add, we'll actually be ready to launch. :D

i cannot GM. i have the time and the energy, but i dont know which positions are still open.

I can't be combat GM with tailess' idea. Simply no. I don't understand it AT ALL and that's why I proposed something else.

- Lighthearter

It's actually similar to yours:

- Every tech adds one to the strength of all your units (you start with tech level 1, so your units have one strength. With lvl 2, strength is two, and so on. Forts are considered units on their own when attacked)
- In a battle, the total strength of all units on both sides are added up.
- An Random Number Generator (like this one) adds anywhere between 0-50% to that strength (this is like the random modifier and die roll in your proposed rule, but condensed into just one random % modifier for simplicity)
- The side with the highest strength after RNG wins. If both sides end up with the same strength, the RNG is run again until one sides emerges victorious.
- Same rules for sea combat.
- Done!

I have enough free time to GM.

Anything works.

How about combat, if Lighthearter doesn't want it.

Oh boy, I can't wait for launch day :D

Though, there's still one last thing we need to decide on before this launches, and that is, we need a snazzy title. Anyone got any ideas?

Ooh, Joe, can I please handle some discipline, too?

I don't know if it will really need all that much handling, since all I'll need to do is a warning here or there, but you can be my "backup" disciplinarian. That means if spam is going on for more than, say a page, then you can step in and discipline, because if its going on for that long, that means either I haven't logged on or I just haven't noticed it. Is that okay?

Top Bottom