Is Civilization 4 best game ever?

Your actual and all-time best game ever!

• actual: civ4, alltime: civ4

Votes: 72 55.4%
  • actual: civ4, alltime: civ1-3

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • actual: civ4, alltime: civ5

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • actual: civ4, alltime: other

Votes: 21 16.2%
  • actual: civ1-3, alltime: civ4

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • actual: civ5, alltime: civ4

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • actual: other, alltime: civ4

• actual: civ1-3, alltime: civ5

• actual: civ5, alltime: civ1-3

• actual: other, alltime: civ1-3

• actual: other, alltime: civ5

• actual: civ1-3, alltime: other

• actual: civ5, alltime: other

• actual: other, alltime: other (shame on you)

Votes: 27 20.8%

• Total voters
Yes, it's true that IWBTG (You'd think someone with such superior knowledge would get the title right but......) has less "random" than civ. It actually has very little randomness. However, that's only AFTER you play through enough times. Until then, it's fake difficulty is comparable to that of civ IV...except as you point out civ IV's fake difficulty gift keeps on giving. Civ IV has plenty of EXACTLY COMPARABLE "brutal obstacles" though, such as worst enemy maphack, lying GUI in regards to diplo, and the way it expels units. Maybe you're not even aware of such mechanics in civ IV? Most players aren't probably.

And yet many of my viewer base plays at higher difficulties than you.

Troll. In addition to being unable to read, apparently you can't see or hear either. Show me a video I posted of "sucking at lowest difficulties". Until then, you're either a troll or a liar and it's not pretty either way...

Still not making sense coming from someone at the noble level. Just so you know, most of the videos are wins 4 difficulties higher than that :/.

People with sense actually understand them. Then again, people with sense don't lie/troll and ignore arguments presented entirely instead of addressing them.

errata. I own an apology. there is plenty of "lets play" videos on youtube from different people, I didn't realize this until now. I though it´s just one series, and I have seen some videos with such titles, that were nowhere near as good as TMIT
I didn't realize, but I haven´t seen your videos before. For some reason I though it´s a series from one person, just like the AVGN, and I must have seen someone else playing CIV4

maphacks etc.....
Yeah, I am not aware, and hopefully I never will. definitely don´t want to ruin my fun. if I found out myself, then so be it. if not, I will keep having fun.

Here I have to agree. the interface is not 100%, maybe 80%. but Basic Unaltered Gameplay" mod and modability makes up for it. I have seen far worse

Certainly V is worse, and civ IV is nowhere near the worst when it comes to UI. The years have provided us with some spectacular woofers. However, to be the "best" civ IV has to be better than "very average". It still has units moving on their own into danger w/o input on a new turn among other problems, even with Beyond the Sword Unaltered Gameplay (BUG).

lack of correct information in game is bad
again you need to refer to external guides, or ingame in case of BUG mod ingame

This is a weak excuse when propping up a game as "best". Also, even with BUG there are aspects of the user interface that LIE to the player. Not mislead. Lie. This isn't just a civlopedia issue; the actual in-game displayed numbers are WRONG. That's very bad.

diplomacy and Isabelle
here you are objectively mistaken. so far out of the series, this diplomacy is best. and actually it does what you want: gives you objective information, while feeling real at same time.
also I disagree about Isabelle. I think the scripting is very fine. the different leaders act like personalities: shaka always building massive army, Isabelle being a religious bully.

I actually do agree with you on diplomacy; civ IV handles it very well for the most part. When the game isn't lying to you or making you "worst enemy" for no other reason than "trading with worst enemy", the diplo makes some sense. My one gripe with AI "flavors" is that some AI get shafted; their flavor virtually eliminates any chance of them winning the game. AI personality tendencies are a good thing, but all of them should be TRYING TO WIN within their flavors and that simply doesn't happen consistently.

saying this isn´t user friendly is a grieve mistake
it is a grieve mistake to mistake game challenge with user friendliness. too much of that and you get civ V. game challenge dumbed down for more user friendliness. user friendliness is strictly controls, interface, help files. genuie smoothness

Saying civ V is user friendly is a grievous mistake. Civ V is easily the most terrible era-adjusted game in the series, and it has nothing to do with its attempt at being "user friendly". Did you know that civ V requires somewhere between 2 to 4 TIMES the actions/clicks to do something as in civ IV? That's BEFORE factoring in unit movement. The only "user friendly" thing about V is that it is less challenging on a given difficulty because the number of different approaches that are viable/required are fewer.

None of that helps the fact that civ V is fundamentally broken at the balance level or that it COMPLETELY RUINS its MP experience with "you can't move after end turn" and "extra long timer only". You'll notice that when I listed games that are better than civ IV, I did NOT list civ V. I'm not trying to make a case that civ IV is the worst game; it's a good game just nowhere near the best ever. It is far superior to V and that's why I've come back to IV. Maybe once V gets out of beta stages in 5 years or so that will change, but not now.

the civilization game is perfectly balanced around this.

Wrong. Objectively wrong. In reality there are things you can do to hedge unexpected outcomes, and part of any good business/government model is to put a reasonable (not too much or too small) investment into hedging for unexpected events. In civ IV you can do this with gold...SOMETIMES. However, most events that strike in civ IV have nothing to do with decision making or adaptation; they just happen and there's usually no response or decision making required. In reality, people have to adapt to surprise outcomes, plan for them, etc. Civ IV doesn't bother with that model, it just randomly assigns you benefits or penalties independent of decision making. In strategy games, that's a bad thing; strategy games by definition reward good decision-making/play with favorable outcomes. Much of the "random" in civ IV is fine. Where it is *not* fine is when it screws (or helps) the player in a way that does not involve any true decisions at all. Every time you argue against me, you somehow ignore this qualification. Stop doing that and face it.

for someone who wants more gameplay there is civ V, other civs spins and other games.

Civ V does *not* have more "gameplay". Civ IV has the deepest strategic background in the main series and the most viable in-game options. If you want better gameplay you have to look outside the series. Some of the games I listed are superior in that regard...but many are better just because they run and control better.

I've put a lot of time into this game. I know a lot about it and have beaten every difficulty multiple times. I know more about the mechanics than everyone but the tip-top deity players and people who analyze code. It's a good game, but it's flaws simply hold it back from being "best".

Yes, it's true that IWBTG has less "random" than civ. It actually has very little randomness. However, that's only AFTER you play through enough times. Until then, it's fake difficulty is comparable to that of civ IV...

Heheh! Did you make this argument after(rightfully so) listing Demon's Souls as a top title? :lol:

Heheh! Did you make this argument after(rightfully so) listing Demon's Souls as a top title? :lol:

Actually, Demon's Souls doesn't have much *fake* difficulty. It has a much higher skill ceiling than most action/rpgs and it punishes mistakes severely...however if one plays carefully virtually nothing should be killing them on their first attempt through the game. I beat 2-1, 2-2 (other than the boss), 1-2, 1-3, 4-1, 5-1, 5-2, and 5-3 on my first playthrough without dying. Demon's souls, for its difficulty, has very very few "surprise! you die!" moments, and is thus not very comparable to IWBTG at all.

Also, players who spam points into VIT and END early can survive most hits and react. The game actually isn't as hard as some claim if you set your character up properly, and the # of viable ultimate character builds adds a lot of depth. PvP and the cheap tricks involved can be fun :).

Well, if you don't play too many games in its genre(friend's system), don't look up stuff about it online, and if you think barbarians look cool - I can guarantee you there are more than a few "wtf was that?" moments...

Well, if you don't play too many games in its genre(friend's system), don't look up stuff about it online, and if you think barbarians look cool - I can guarantee you there are more than a few "wtf was that?" moments...

Sure, but even then most of it is real difficulty; it's not like you need to read a guide to know that getting hit by an enemy is bad, and once you realize you can fall off of ANYTHING it's not like you should be doing that routinely either...

TMIT, could you explain the idea of fake difficulty? Lying GUI? You mention these a lot, and I'm sure you've defined them before now. I must've missed it though. Just curious. Thanxinadvance.

TMIT, could you explain the idea of fake difficulty? Lying GUI? You mention these a lot, and I'm sure you've defined them before now. I must've missed it though. Just curious. Thanxinadvance.

Fake difficulty:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/FakeDifficulty

Lying GUI examples:

- All AI relations with other civilizations if said civilizations have a vassal are averaged. This is not displayed. Anywhere.
- Peaceweight like/dislike doesn't show, so you can have a higher net displayed with someone when the other guy actually has a higher (hidden) net
- Control/alt/shift click do not work as advertised, and work inconsistently between single and multi player
- Civ V has ludicrous amounts of this so I won't list civ V GUI mistakes/lies

AI cheat examples (not related to difficulty):

- AI can see anywhere its unit can move, regardless of fog
- AI can detect trades with its worst enemy regardless of whether it knows the civ it hates for making said trade (worst enemy maphack)
- Upgrade costs (advantage on all levels)
- The AI makes stacked resource trade deals between itself that it will never make with the human (iron for spices and no gold/turn)
- One AI conceding land to another w/o a fight from turn 0, making a 22%+ land monster without war on a map where, on average, civs should have about 14-15%.
- AI *always* knows your power rating, espionage disadvantages are ignored.

There are a lot of things under the hood in this game that are quite foul, too. Here are some examples:

1. The AI uses no strategy when calling UN or AP resolutions, it LITERALLY picks from available resolutions AT RANDOM regardless of situation. Other than a select few resolutions, there is virtually no logic used for "yes" or "no" votes, either.
2. Deleting your own vassal can make a target capitulate. Think about that; making your side WEAKER makes the AI willing to capitulate in some cases. Ouch.
3. AI takes peace vassals (permanent alliance vassals) with civs when doing so is the opposite of advantageous; frequently feeding culture whores techs they need to defend themselves and functionally taking the master out of the game. Why?
4. Contrary to #2 above, if the vassal in question happens to border 8 tiles with the war target, suddenly it goes from a liability to capitulation to a HUGE asset, making your target way more likely to capitulate. It matters not whether your vassal fought a single battle with said target in either case! Convoluted much?
5. The AI has no script/strategy for winning 75% of the game's victory conditions. It actually doesn't try to win at all except BTS culture and slopping into space. This is a big part of the reason it is given bonuses, which in turn are a big part of the reason so many outcomes are decided on chance rather than play quality

Those are just some examples...in civ IV.

AI cheat examples (not related to difficulty):

- AI can see anywhere its unit can move, regardless of fog.

I've seen this discussed in other threads and, as far as I recall, this is just something that helps the AI with a handicap it has compared to humans, i.e. having no memory. Human players can remember when an enemy unit has been seen and can know it is somewhere in the vicinity still, and can even work out roughly where from the direction it was last seen moving in. With Asimov-level AI development it might be possible to give the AI the necessary memory and broader tactical knowledge to make use of it to behave the same as a human in this way, and you could argue how easy or difficult or impossible that would be to implement another day, but since it isn't the case for this AI it has to be given some sort of advantage here to try and balance it out. It is a bit of a fudge, but when you've basically got an actual intelligence versus a set of rules that don't even "think" in remotely the same way, it's not too unreasonable to make allowances for that.

- AI *always* knows your power rating, espionage disadvantages are ignored.

This is probably something similar too. A human can gauge, to some degree, the power of an AI just by looking at the number of cities it has, remembering some of the units it has seen that AI using, remembering how it has fared against other AIs in previous wars etc, all without being able to see its actual power through Espionage. The AI can't, because it can't think or remember, so it gets given a little help. Not entirely unreasonable. I suppose it could be fudged a little bit so that, without an espionage advantage, the AI can only know your power rating to within 20% of its true value, so that it might over-estimate it when deciding whether to attack you or not, or something along those lines. But even so, it's not intrinsically unreasonable when you look at why it might be necessary.

Fake difficulty:

Those are just some examples...in civ IV.

There is a saying: Ignorance is bliss.
I am kind of glad I do not know all the details of AI cheating or perhaps I would have (being little disgusted) stopped playing long time ago. But again I am currently playing Immortal dificulty so I am accepting a lot of bonuses for AI anyway so who cares...

What realy matters to me is that I am having serious fun = designers did a good job = I voted for civ4 to be the best game of all time (but hopefuly not for all time to come:lol:)

I've seen this discussed in other threads and, as far as I recall, this is just something that helps the AI with a handicap it has compared to humans, i.e. having no memory. Human players can remember when an enemy unit has been seen and can know it is somewhere in the vicinity still, and can even work out roughly where from the direction it was last seen moving in. With Asimov-level AI development it might be possible to give the AI the necessary memory and broader tactical knowledge to make use of it to behave the same as a human in this way, and you could argue how easy or difficult or impossible that would be to implement another day, but since it isn't the case for this AI it has to be given some sort of advantage here to try and balance it out. It is a bit of a fudge, but when you've basically got an actual intelligence versus a set of rules that don't even "think" in remotely the same way, it's not too unreasonable to make allowances for that.

This is probably something similar too. A human can gauge, to some degree, the power of an AI just by looking at the number of cities it has, remembering some of the units it has seen that AI using, remembering how it has fared against other AIs in previous wars etc, all without being able to see its actual power through Espionage. The AI can't, because it can't think or remember, so it gets given a little help. Not entirely unreasonable. I suppose it could be fudged a little bit so that, without an espionage advantage, the AI can only know your power rating to within 20% of its true value, so that it might over-estimate it when deciding whether to attack you or not, or something along those lines. But even so, it's not intrinsically unreasonable when you look at why it might be necessary.

I'm pointing out cheats, not evaluating their necessity. However, that the AI "needs" these things is somewhat bogus. Every advantage given to an AI needs to be carefully considered and evaluated based on its impact against other bonuses (especially difficulty). Firaxis does not do this, because they don't even do basic things like test expansion content (AP is a big big big example).

Not having even rudimentary "memory" causes the AI some problems, sure. However, the ability to see into the fog, allowing things like PERFECT NAVAL PURSUIT and the AI throwing its knights 2 tiles into enemy territory to pick off a worker (which the AI cheated to place there; why was an auto worker moving next to enemy territory? AI workers don't do this) starts cutting into immersion. Was this done to reduce the need for raw bonuses? I don't know. It hurts to watch though.

Firaxis made a lot of choices with their AI, its flavors, map generation, etc that required much higher absolute bonuses than would have otherwise been necessary...using the exact same AI. If each and every AI consistently tried to win (within flavors) such that anyone was a legit threat each game, it avoided doing stupid crap like PAssaling someone who would cause them to lose, and made an attempt to intercept others near victory the game would be a lot more dynamic and frankly it wouldn't need to rely so much on luck to create fake difficulty.

Right now, I can open a standard map with 6 AI, and tell you with a high degree of consistency which AI will win the game w/o human input...because only certain personalities try at all, and the spawn balance is so atrocious.

Firaxis made a lot of choices with their AI, its flavors, map generation, etc that required much higher absolute bonuses than would have otherwise been necessary...using the exact same AI. If each and every AI consistently tried to win (within flavors) such that anyone was a legit threat each game, it avoided doing stupid crap like PAssaling someone who would cause them to lose, and made an attempt to intercept others near victory the game would be a lot more dynamic and frankly it wouldn't need to rely so much on luck to create fake difficulty.

There's a balance between playing to win and playing to act like some sort of "proper" civilization. In the real world most countries aren't "playing to win" by civ standards (60s space race and occasional megalomaniac notwithstanding), so how do you get the balance right where an AI can be playing to win, but still appear to be a plausible, real-world nation? It's hard to imagine any country launching an all-out nuclear assault on another country just because its museums are getting a little too full of great works of art, or getting too close to launching a mission to Mars. Even most modern-day despots seem more concerned with seeking absolute power in their own little bit of the world, rather than wanting to conquer half the globe for a domination victory.

I agree that an AI shouldn't do stupid things to actually throw away a winning chance, but in general there's a choice to be made. Should the AI be trying to replicate other human players, or should they be trying to be part of an immersive world that the human is playing in? Should they really be going for the same victories as the human, knowing they are playing a game, or should they be presenting a challenge to the human achieving his goals in some other fashion?

Again, I think the answer to that is somewhat subjective. Some people come at it as a multiplayer strategy game and want the AI to play competitively, others come at it more from a Sim City angle and merely want an immersive and somewhat believable world to play around in. (The latter, of course, being the same ones that don't mind random events so much). Is it possible to strike a balance where an AI can fulfil both these roles? I think it's a difficult tightrope to walk. Should there be some sort of option to toggle between "AI play to win" and "AI role-play"?

I realise I'm going way off topic here but I think it's an interesting question to ask because it seems clear from this thread that people do come at this game from different angles and want different things from it and that seems to be at the heart of a lot of the disagreements here.

There's a balance between playing to win and playing to act like some sort of "proper" civilization. In the real world most countries aren't "playing to win" by civ standards

Enough of this "real world" crap. We aren't playing a game with "real world" as a premise and we sure as @#$@# aren't watching MTV or something. We're playing a game, a model with rules.

I agree that an AI shouldn't do stupid things to actually throw away a winning chance, but in general there's a choice to be made. Should the AI be trying to replicate other human players, or should they be trying to be part of an immersive world that the human is playing in? Should they really be going for the same victories as the human, knowing they are playing a game, or should they be presenting a challenge to the human achieving his goals in some other fashion?

Thing is, SOME of the AIs try, and some don't.

Besides, you're basically arguing that the AI shouldn't be playing the game. It should just sit there looking pretty until the human wins. That's great...in something that doesn't construe itself as a game.

Again, I think the answer to that is somewhat subjective. Some people come at it as a multiplayer strategy game and want the AI to play competitively, others come at it more from a Sim City angle and merely want an immersive and somewhat believable world to play around in. (The latter, of course, being the same ones that don't mind random events so much). Is it possible to strike a balance where an AI can fulfil both these roles? I think it's a difficult tightrope to walk. Should there be some sort of option to toggle between "AI play to win" and "AI role-play"?

Garbage. There are SIX victory conditions. The AI flavors could easily be adjusted to bias towards one of them, and otherwise actually attempt to reach one.

However, you're just making excuses for an incomplete game. No AI tries to do anything at all for the MAJORITY of VCs! Many AI deliberately do things that lead to their demise. Civ says things like "build a civilization that stands the test of time" and "rewrite history", and yet its apologists love talking about real life as if that somehow defends the state of the game.

And this "sandbox" crap is precisely why the game needs 340958374059347859034785903478590834759038475908347089 bonuses to dream of competing with a reasonably competent human...but when you start relying on that kind of bonus level, small factors snowball into chancy outcomes, and for what? So that weak players get their little "sandbox" without lowering the difficulty as much, allowing them to continually ignore their mistakes in using game mechanics to their potential.

If you want it to "be like sim city", there is a game specifically dedicated to that. Players could still sand box and role play AIs that *actually try* on low difficulties, if that tickles their fancy/pickle. The use of "role play" as an excuse for complete lack of AI even TRYING is a tired and pathetic excuse for an unfinished element of gameplay. If firaxis actually believed that crap that so many people have attempted to spew on this forum over the years about this sandbox nonsense, it would NOT have added the AI culture pursuit in BTS (ripped from blake who was hired on) and it would NOT have then cut the bonuses because with the AI having even that 1 VC attempt in-place, previous bonuses were impossible. Most players don't even know about that change, but it's very real.

EDIT: X-post with TMIT. Basically, I agree with him

Given that are a lot of victory conditions and even more ways of getting a win, this is a false dichotomy. You can win the game without going Conan on the world, you know ;)

In other words, given that in this game ( Civ V is another can of worms in that regard ) you can win via various victory conditions, and that you can get those wins in various ways, you can have diferent ways of pursuing a win without having to go roleplay for variety. But the AI shipped by Firaxis does not do that. They simply roleplay without trying to win ... and that is TMIT point, a thing he explicitely say.

IMHO a AI that plays to win in this game would not need to roleplay exactly because of that. If there were diferent players with diferent strats and all trying to win ( note, to win you need to be alive, so being alive is a bigger priority than a pure win focus ) via diferent VC , the simple variety of strats in the board would make them interesting. There would be people being agressive, people teching fast towards space while others would be teching fast towards a particular military tech, people pumping wonders ... like there is in the roleplay we have today, with the added bonus of seeing the AI actually being more than a sidekick of the show. And let's face it, it is more believable to see the AI actually trying something that simply get put in their corner with 3 cities just waiting for some other AI to fill the land they shunned to call them overlords and give them their techs for free.

Enough of this "real world" crap. We aren't playing a game with "real world" as a premise and we sure as @#$@# aren't watching MTV or something. We're playing a game, a model with rules.

Right well I was just quite politely offering a different point of view. If you want to be a total arse about it then fair enough. Might be nice if you took the stick out of your backside before replying next time though.

Seriously, I'm just pointing out a differing opinion and approach to the game, one that is obviously shared by other people and not just something I made up. Even the developers have talked about how the AI civs are designed to role-play somewhat, and not just go all-out for victory like a human player would. Not to make it easier, but to make the game more fun and immersive. This isn't about the computer rolling over and playing dead, it's just about providing a challenge in a different way to simply going for victory like a human player would. I really was being quite polite and enjoying a bit of a discussion, so I'm not sure where all that aggression came from. I know you generally do seem to be quite miserable and antagonistic about everything but there really was no call to be that nasty in response to anything I've said.

EDIT: Given that are a lot of victory conditions and even more ways of getting a win, this is a false dichotomy. You can win the game without going Conan on the world, you know ;)

In other words, given that in this game ( Civ V is another can of worms in that regard ) you can win via various victory conditions, and that you can get those wins in various ways, you can have diferent ways of pursuing a win without having to go roleplay for variety. But the AI shipped by Firaxis does not do that. They simply roleplay without trying to win ... and that is TMIT point, a thing he explicitely say.

Well the AI does go for Space Victories and Culture Victories already. Perhaps not s efficiently as a human can but it still goes for them. It's also quite capapble of winning a score victory if it gets to that stage. Okay, it doesn't use the AP or UN in any sane way, but then the whole concept of Dimplomatic Victory goes out of the window anyway if you're playing to win, as no-one would ever get any votes at all, the human would sure as hell never vote for an AI to win the game. The only other remaining victory conditions DO involve going Conan on the world.

So the AI already does go for 50% of the victory conditions. Getting a diplo victory against a human would never work anyway, unless it was with the AP and the human was a weak voting member, but then I'm sure that would be complained about to as it would basically be the rest of the world deciding to win with the player having no say.

But basically my reasoning boils down to (as off-topic and partially hypothetical as it is)...

There are two ways to regard the game:
1) As a multiplayer strategy game where each team has an equal stab at winning.
2) A single player strategy game where the challenge is to win a victory against the conditions ranged at you.

Clearly, if you regard it as number 1 (even if the other "players" are AI opponents), it's very important that the AI have the same attitude and opportunities to win as the player, and will attempt to go for them as the player would, and to stop the player getting there first. But if you regard it as number 2 then this isn't the only way to make the game challenging for the player. In that case the AI's job is to make the game a challenge for the human player to win, but it doesn't NECESSARILY have to be playing to win itself. It just has to be able to thwart the player achieving his victory conditions. For example...

Conquest and Domination:
The two "Conan" victory conditions. The AI can stop the player winning by these means by simply fighting back and providing enugh of a military challenge to make this difficult to achieve. If the player tries to go for Domination peacefully by rapid expansion, then the AI can again counter this by making sure it also expands at a pace to force the human player to take the military approach, and then fighting back as before. But for the AI to effectively fight back it doesn't, itself, have to be going for either of these victories.

Space Race:
The challenge to winning this victory comes from getting there before the AI which, in this case, is shooting for the same victory. But this one isn't so much a problem as a space race fits in quite well with the AI role-playing a realistic civilization (whether or not I'm supposed to care about that, which I maintain is still a personal choice).

Culture Victory:
The challenge here comes from trying to afford the investment of time, money and hammers into building up enough culture, without neglecting tech and military which would let an aggressive AI roll over you. But said AI doesn't have to be going for culture victory itself, or global domination, in order to scupper the player here.

Diplomatic Victory:
The challenge here obviously is to get enough people onside in order to get them to vote for you. Again, doesn't requite the AI to be shooting for any victory to stop the player winning this, it just needs to be difficult to win enough people around to being your buddies. Indeed, this victory condition wouldn't even make sense if everyone was fighting to win.

Time Victory:
If the game can be challenging enough to stop the player winning any of the other 5 victories, then all that's left is for the AI to be good enough at expansion, teching and wonder-building to have a good enough chance of beating the player to the top of the pile when the time runs out. But again, it doesn't have to be trying to "win a game", just to be trying to expand and be a flourishing nation.

How well, or not well, the civ iv AI is at doing all these things is another matter, but it isn't the point I am making. The point is that there are 2 ways of looking at the game, and of it still being a challenge as a single player game. And I really don't see how that point can be called "garbage" or "crap" just because you would prefer the game to be 1) and not 2). Nor is going and playing Sim City going to be anything much like playing game 2), so that's not very helpful advice either.

I rest my case.

Some restrictions and "play to be fun" mentality is needed. There's no doubt about that. But reading most posts nobody really asks for what Soren defined as "play to win"-AI.

The conflict between the two sides are smaller than one might believe by reading through all the threads on the subject. Most changes would improve the game for all players. Even if you want Gandhi to be a peaceful guy who doesn't prioritize military it wouldn't hurt if he was a bit aware of whats going on and didn't research democracy when he really needs rifles to survive. In fact, that would be totally realistic.

You could make the AI try pretty hard to get a cultural or space victory (like calculating how to build the damn thing), but maybe be a bit more careful on how much effort they will put into stopping a victory. And of course, there's a huge list of things like simply managing cities better.

@Manfred Belheim

You are messing various things out :D

First, the default BtS AI does not go for Space win, in spite of their bravado in the diplo window. What they do is to keep teching as usual and , by acident, make SS parts ... then it notices that it has a SS that can be launched, check if there is a SS in the air that will get faster than theirs ( absurdely they will not launch a SS into the sky if the expected time to a competing SS is smaller, regardless of the odds of the win or the prospects of that civ holding their cap ) and if the awnser is negative, launch it ( believe me, I made some code for the Better AI mod exactly in the SS win part ). That is not a strategy, no matter how you look at it. And let's be honest, there is a lot of ways of getting the techs for a space win, a lot of possible SS configurations with diferent speeds and risk attached, the need to protect their cap ... the AI does not know any of this :p

On diplo ... well, you are surely forgetting that AI vassals are forced to play by their masters. A pure human game would not see this, but even there you can see diplo wins ( either by miscalculation or by consent ). I agree that a diplo win where everybody is "playing to win" ( aka being a short term view sociopath ) is impossible ( see Civ V, where the only way of winning by diplo is to bribe CS ), but real humans can conceed a win via diplo ( hey, I've seen a human in a forum game to vote a AI for the win just because he couldn't win by himself in any way :p It was one of aelf's games ) even if they are gunning for a win.

About the other options forcing going Conan on the world ... NO ;) You can win by conquest and dom without even going out of your land with military. Anyway, even if you do go Conan on the world, you will need the techs and the units ... and a diplo manipulation will surely help ... with humans or AI. No conquest can be equal to the others , unless the oponents do the exact same things all the times.

On culture ... well the AI has exactly 1 way of winning by culture, that is pretty much what Sisiutil pointed in his guide: shut research, pile artists in the 3 big cities ( use Caste if possible ), bomb any resulting GA in the weaker city. You have to agree, this is a risky strat ... and even if it wasn't, it is one strat only. There are far more ways to win by culture than the above, from Corp usage to the quite exotic use of the spread culture espionage mission [/self-promotion]

So, you have the AI bumping blind through the game unless it acidentally bumps into the culture strat . This is not even roleplay.

In shorter words, if the AI had more than one recipe in their book for the win and actually followed them, the game would give the exact same basis for roleplay than the current aproach ( because the AI would still be acting diferently ) and would have the benefit of being facing minimally inteligent oponents. And let's face it, BtS stock AI does not roleplay, if fakes roleplay :D

EDIT: response to your own edit ;)
There are two ways to regard the game:
1) As a multiplayer strategy game where each team has an equal stab at winning.
2) A single player strategy game where the challenge is to win a victory against the conditions ranged at you.
Civ IV can NEVER be a game that fulfills 2) , because you are in a game where there are other players that suposedely can win exactly as you. And OFC you are forgetting

3)As a single player strategy game where each team has an equal stab at winning

that is btw, how the game is designed primarily :D

How well, or not well, the civ iv AI is at doing all these things is another matter, but it isn't the point I am making. The point is that there are 2 ways of looking at the game, and of it still being a challenge as a single player game. And I really don't see how that point can be called "garbage" or "crap" just because you would prefer the game to be 1) and not 2). Nor is going and playing Sim City going to be anything much like playing game 2), so that's not very helpful advice either.
You are wrong in this. As i ponted, there is a third way, that btw is the exact way the game was designed: a almost exclusively sp game with all the players having a stab on the win. TMIT is not defending your 1) btw, and he is not shunning 2) as well ( given that the BtS AI does not even roleplay minimally well ), he is simply pointing that neither the game or the AI was designed to be in 2), so pushing the argument in that direction is going away from the point ( ok, he was not elegant, but elegance and truthfulness are not necessarily linked )

Might be nice if you took the stick out of your backside before replying next time though.

Every time I try, firaxis attaches a rocket to said stick and seems to have perfect aim...

Seriously, I'm just pointing out a differing opinion and approach to the game

And I'm just showing why that approach to game design leads to completely idiotic garbage when subjected to the difficulty scale, whereas the opposite approach would not.

Even the developers have talked about how the AI civs are designed to role-play somewhat, and not just go all-out for victory like a human player would.

This is an excuse thrown around very often. It's bogus. There's a difference between "role play" and "0 code to even attempt to play the game within its rules". Civ IV has much more of the latter than most want to believe/admit. Civ V takes it to a new level but I don't see many arguing that's the "best game" here so I'm ignoring it for now.

Let's put it this way: If the AI is so "role-play esque" and "immersive", why does it throw darts for which AP/UN resolution to call? Why do some of them actively pursue the strongest approach? Why do they EVER threaten the human? These sandbox arguments are a crap excuse, because the game would 100% guaranteed run as a sandbox on low levels no matter what. All these crappy, shoddy, and incomplete efforts with the "sandbox" excuse do is make sure that the game is not balanced at the high levels, while adding 0 value to low level play (though not detracting from it). The end result is that many high level players experience a range of frustrations, while low level players who just sandbox all the time never actually know or understand just how borked and idiotic the mechanics really are. Here are a list of some mechanics that are in SKELETON CODE and are a total JOKE in the FINAL BTS patch:

1. Capitulation
2. Peace vassal
3. Espionage
4. UN resolution call logic
5. Absolutely everything involving the apostolic palace
6. Events
7. AI expanding to 3 cities despite way more available land while another gets 12
8. AI trade logic

These are *major* and in many cases *standard* features. If you know how the code works for them, you see it's not finished. It's painful. And yet, the sandboxers blather on about how the game doesn't need to fix these things because it's a "sand box". Last time I checked, this is a turn-based STRATEGY game. The S standing for *strategy*, not *sandbox*. Allowing elements into the game that have NOTHING to do with strategy is a bad thing, at all levels. It just affects lower levels less, and then high level players who have played the game more and know more about it get lectured by people who don't even know what high difficulties are like about how the game "should be". It's easy to simply brush those players off with high level elitism, but for me it's more fun to completely destroy the fundamental arguments that these sandbox apologists attempt to use. Which I've done...and that's why so many attempts to counter my arguments here fall to "opinions" and feelings instead of putting up objective reasoning.

but then the whole concept of Dimplomatic Victory goes out of the window anyway if you're playing to win, as no-one would ever get any votes at all

There are situations where the player is compelled to vote for someone. There are also situations where diplo can end a blown game early.

The only other remaining victory conditions DO involve going Conan on the world.

There is one VC the AI is explicitly programmed to pursue. One. Space doesn't count; it doesn't pursue it in dedicated fashion and in stock BTS no code exists for it to do so.

And if you don't want a game that "goes conan", perhaps the game should be BALANCED that way. Right now, military is what, over 50% of the build options? It's also set up to be much stronger and threatening than it has to be. The game was designed that way; and yet the designers ignore that reality when constructing their AI. This disparity has been a constant in the series; if military is such an overwhelming portion of the game, pay more attention to it or make it less overwhelming!

So the AI already does go for 50% of the victory conditions. Getting a diplo victory against a human would never work anyway, unless it was with the AP and the human was a weak voting member, but then I'm sure that would be complained about to as it would basically be the rest of the world deciding to win with the player having no say.

Make that 33%. Also, diplo as a VC was ill-conceived from go. It was certainly never balanced against other VCs. Not to mention that a LARGE part of my argument *is* that, by sheer chance, the AI occasionally sets itself up so that it IS the rest of the world deciding to win without the player having a say. What do you think PAssals are?! When you meet an AI that has 38% of the world's land and pop at astro, and has captured all of 2-3 cities to get that because he has 2 peace vassals and a douche that folded to him in 2.5 seconds, how can you possibly construe that as anything else? When I argue that the AI should try, I am arguing that those little @#$%@#%lings that don't expand, feed their master techs, and forfeit half of their cities w/o a fight should STOP DOING THAT. If the player gets those little crap-piece AIs, it becomes super easy. If an AI gets them, it gets super hard. Turn-based strategy? My @#%@#, that is if firaxis would quit trying to shove things there. That's turn based "chance". In an attempt to defend this game, you are arguing in favor of random chance and using age-old excuses in an attempt to pad your argument.

If you want a better tone, you need to use legit arguments that are 1) relevant to the problem at hand 2) are not canned, recycled nonsense that's been going on for years 3) actually address things I've said, rather than ignoring them and attempting to derail the points you simply have no answer for. When posters play ignorant to previous points, I'm not going to play nicely.

Windsor makes an excellent point; why does gandhi just die every game where he doesn't get excessive luck? How are people saying that "self-implosion" as an AI strategy (and one of the dominant ones) is a GOOD thing for realism, immersion, and balance? That's what your side of this argument boils down to. It hurts to see.

It's easy to simply brush those players off with high level elitism, but for me it's more fun to completely destroy the fundamental arguments that these sandbox apologists attempt to use. Which I've done

I'm not convinced. I reckon elements of it work quite well if you think of it like a sandbox.

Top Bottom