Is Dogfighting A Major Problem in the United States?

Red Door

Man of Mayhem
If you're American, and weren't hiding under a rock for the last week, you would know Atlanta Falcons Quarterback Michael Vick pleaded guilty to charges of dogfighting, transporting dogs across state borders, and something else like that. Anyways, it seems to have finally brought out the evils of dogfighting to the country.

Dogfighting is a "sport", and I hesitate using the word sport, because it's really a sport in the sense that war is a sport as well, and dogs often fight until one is very, very close to death. Dogs that lose sometimes get drowned in bath tubs, electrocuted, hanged, etc. Dogs that win can let owners win tens of thousands of dollars.

Is this "sport" a problem in the United States? Should we be worried about dogfighting? Is dogfighting over-stated or under-stated by the media? How evil is it? Would you/have you ever participated in dogfighting? And last question, what should we do, if anything, to end dogfighting in this country? If dogs were put to death "humanely," would you be less/more/same critical of it?

Also, if this is a sport in other countries around the World, what is your reaction to it?

I don't get it. What could possibly be enjoyable about watching dogs fight? But why would anyone care about whether it happens or not?

It makes a sexy story for the media to sell I suppose.

Is Dogfighting A Major Problem in the United States?
I seriously doubt it.

But why would anyone care about whether it happens or not?
I can't believe you said that. Do you care that animals suffer and die purely for the viewing pleasure of people? There are animals dying, related to dog fighting, that die outside of the dog fights. For example, weak dogs are killed. Small animals are given to the fighting dogs to kill to get their "fighting spirit" up.

It's only a problem for you if you preassume that all animals (or at least the ones we keep as pets) deserve at least some semblance of dignity. And all though I'm one of those people, I still wouldn't be to sure as to call it a "major" problem in this country. At best, it's a peripheral issue. There are issues that are somewhat more important in my opinion.

Other people might not call it a problem at all. In fact, when I was in a more rural area in Poland once, there was this one owner who treated his dogs by standards that anyone from New Jersey would consider monstrous. But the farmer and the community around him saw no problem with his treatment, and looked at me funny when I was being affectionate to the dogs. I think it's a perspective thing.

i don't think dog fighting directly conflicts with my morals on animal cruelty, in the sense that 2 animals fight to the death, in some respects this is animal nature.

Where i find this to be immoral is the sterotype that is placed on a few breeds of dogs, because people aquire these dogs for the sole purpose of training them to be violent killers.

dog fighting is more comon in america then you probably think, in the area i live in (piedmont triad N.C.) it is becoming more and more comon that dogs have been abused(possibly trained for fighting) by there owners, and in some cases they have attacked innocent people.

it is not just that the animal is abused that i find immoral, but also i see news headlines in my local news about people being attacked by pitbulls and such.

also i don't like using the words "bred to kill" an animal is raised to kill, IMO a chiwawa can be just as violent as a pitbull, but obviously not as leathal.

I don't get it. What could possibly be enjoyable about watching dogs fight? But why would anyone care about whether it happens or not?

It's about breeding and raising and training the best of the best. It's like battlebots, but with living, breathing animals.

I once lived on the edge of a shady neighbourhood. A neighbour's dog was kidnapped (dognapped?) and found mauled. He was taken to be a practice dog.

It's abhorrent. But that's because I see a dog, any dog, as something more than an extension of myself.

i don't think dog fighting directly conflicts with my morals on animal cruelty, in the sense that 2 animals fight to the death, in some respects this is animal nature.

Not true. Dogs in nature don't fight to the death. It's not natural. Even in these fights, dogs don't fight to the death.

Even if this were the case, key word being even, there is nothing natural about the circumstance where the two dogs meet.

it is not just that the animal is abused that i find immoral, but also i see news headlines in my local news about people being attacked by pitbulls and such.

Which is why I think pitbulls (amongst other breeds of dog) should require licensing.

IMO, dogfighting is the the animal version the gladiator fights so I guess if gladiator fights were fun to watch to some people then dogfights are fun to watch for some people.

Is this "sport" a problem in the United States?
Yes... it's a problem reguardless when it happens.

Is dogfighting over-stated or under-stated by the media?
Understated IMHO

How evil is it?
How I think of dogfighting is like how people who are pro-life think of abortion.

what should we do, if anything, to end dogfighting in this country? If dogs were put to death "humanely," would you be less/more/same critical of it?
We should first have the media have more of a negitive protral than it does now. The last thing to do is as well as putting the dogs that are beyond repair to sleep I say that the owners/trainers of the dogs should be put to sleep as well.

IMO, dogfighting is the the animal version the gladiator fights so I guess if gladiator fights were fun to watch to some people then dogfights are fun to watch for some people.

Of course it's fun to watch for some people, that's the problem!

Its a huge problem nation wide. Rural south or big cities nation wide.

Of course it's fun to watch for some people, that's the problem!

well I for one love watching all the specials on national geograghic wich display animal on animal violence, would you rank that as being the same thing as watching some dogs fighting in real life.

I really don't see how it's a problem at all.

well I for one love watching all the specials on national geograghic wich display animal on animal violence, would you rank that as being the same thing as watching some dogs fighting in real life.

No, because that's nature, and the other one is domesticated dogs trained to kill each other for fun, not for food or survival, but "fun."

Top Bottom