• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

IS G&K something for the "simulation-player" type?

poncratias

Prince
So, Civ V turned many people off because it went straight into the board-game-direction, where you only play to be winning, reaching certain victory conditions.

But many people just loved playing role-player-style, simulating the history of your own empire, in previous Civ's.

I am one of these, and so I went back playing Civ IV instead of Civ V since it's release.

Now I want to know:

Is Civ V now with G&K going into direction that supports that kind of role-play-style?

Edit:
to clear some things up:

What do you mean with "simulation"?

I mean something like this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comme...vilization_ii/

just playing the game like you would really lead a nation, and NOT trying to reach certain victory conditions.

What has changed since Civ IV to Civ V?
the game mechanisms (like happiness etc) are streamlined and board-game-like. they have no big effects on your gameworld/history/empire like in previous games.
They scream in your face "I am a game rule, use me to win this game".
The immersion of leading a nation through the tides of history is gone. now its just about using certain mechanics to reach a victory condition.

Also: I miss the "uniqueness" of my empire. I can no longer give my nation and my people an own name.
I expected Civ V to have even more customization options for your own empire, but sadly it got less.

I just don't like to take on the FIXED roles of "germany" or "france" or whatever.

so, i hoped that at last with religions there is maybe a small step into that direction...
but if no other steps are taken to open up the paths of this game....hmm..

So, after having said this, would you recommend me G&Ks?

I suggest use hotseat to simulate...(Yes I do it).

I've always thought that if you wanted to simulate you just drop down a level, maybe two. I like Civ5 better for roleplaying than Civ4 because the Civ's UA brings a lot of character. Wonderspamming with the Egyptians, settling the Tundra with Russia, long term city state alliances with Greece, etc, etc.

So, Civ V turned many people off because it went straight into the board-game-direction, where you only play to be winning, reaching certain victory conditions.

But many people just loved playing role-player-style, simulating the history of your own empire, in previous Civ's.

Couldn't have described it better. I felt the same way.

I don't think Civ was ever ment to be a history simulation.... it was always a little bit towards the board game side and civ V maybe brought that one step further.

If you want a true history simulation experience you should try some of the games by Paradox interactive eventhough i think they are way less fun then civ

Civ V is as much like a board game as I, II, III and IV. Not sure I get it. The whole series is loosely based on a board game (among some other things). It's also been strong throughout the series for role playing building an empire. No idea why you feel that way about Civ V.

Civ V hasn't had any fundamental changes with G&K. If you didn't like it then, you won't like it now.

I haven't actually got the game but yeh, from what people say it sounds more toward the simulation side. I think diplomacy providing long-term relationships and civs having to vote for friends not themselves in the UN vote, the whole feel of it seems to be quite different.

Civ V is as much like a board game as I, II, III and IV. Not sure I get it. The whole series is loosely based on a board game (among some other things). It's also been strong throughout the series for role playing building an empire. No idea why you feel that way about Civ V.

Civ 5 really lacks role playing an empire as the game has gotten to easy to manage, no long term global effects, no long term diplomacy with AI civs, a generic city state happyness with your empire system, policy tree with no ramifications for choosing one. I could keep going but rants thread, and a few others can explain the big differences between the earlier version and this one, would like how is sim societies different from sim city. But if you don't see the difference between the too, don't let me change your mind :)

I have never understood this complaint. Civs I-IV had victory conditions too.

Simulator of nations tend not to worry about victory conditions. Sure it is tempting to crush an annoying Civ near you and get conquest faster, but would your nation do that? Etc

Most games I turn most of them off. Kept diplomacy check in Civ 4 bts just so the UN would function, voted abstain or if I wasn't power leading is vote to make sure the game continued. The aspects of world currency, forcing nations to give back towns and going rogue just so you can have nukes...

You don't need to be going for Conquest to invade another Civ.

What if they've got a resource you need?

What if they're cutting off your access to something?

What if they've backstabbed you twice and you want to prevent it from happening again?

And of course, the more powerful your empire (and the less powerful theirs) the more of an advantage you have.

But there is absolutely nothing in CiV to stop you from just following the story of your nation; I do it all the time.

Civ V hasn't had any fundamental changes with G&K. If you didn't like it then, you won't like it now.

Do not agree with this at all, in fact it is 100% wrong. Having been one of the many who disliked the direction of CiV.

Yes as far as I can tell you can now play a very nice building game, like you could in ALL of the other versions. The only thing I had to change was delete Austira from play files. Her UA ruins the ability to role play the way I like.

You don't need to be going for Conquest to invade another Civ.

What if they've got a resource you need?

What if they're cutting off your access to something?

What if they've backstabbed you twice and you want to prevent it from happening again?

And of course, the more powerful your empire (and the less powerful theirs) the more of an advantage you have.

But there is absolutely nothing in CiV to stop you from just following the story of your nation; I do it all the time.

That's about it really, I had a game recently were Germany sneak attacked me twice, waited for the third time, crushed him out of the world, my friends at the time England Russia denounced me for being a war monger, I laughed but the reality of my actions wouldn't profess a hatred on their part. They soon declared war on me after years of fighting each other. Not saying the other civs were great from being quirky, but it wasn't as bad as you are automatically hated in this version. I expect this from the zulus but every empire?

to clear some things up:

What do you mean with "simulation"?

I mean something like this:
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/uxpil/ive_been_playing_the_same_game_of_civilization_ii/

just playing the game like you would really lead a nation, and NOT trying to reach certain victory conditions.

What has changed since Civ IV to Civ V?

the game mechanisms (like happiness etc) are streamlined and board-game-like. they have no big effects on your gameworld/history/empire like in previous games.
They scream in your face "I am a game rule, use me to win this game".
The immersion of leading a nation through the tides of history is gone. now its just about using certain mechanics to reach a victory condition.

Also: I miss the "uniqueness" of my empire. I can no longer give my nation and my people an own name.
I expected Civ V to have even more customization options for your own empire, but sadly it got less.

I just don't like to take on the FIXED roles of "germany" or "france" or whatever.

so, i hoped that at last with religions there is maybe a small step into that direction...
but if no other steps are taken to open up the paths of this game....hmm..

So, after having said this, would you recommend me G&Ks?

Really, you have read and can read all you want on it, at the end of the day who can say if you will like it? I can only say I played CiV 5 vanillia for 2 days and deleted it. I relaoded it about 2 weeks ago getting ready for expansion, even without the expansion it was much better with the patches. Still not what you are looking for mind, but not near as crappy as 1st release.

The expansion has made the game 200% better imho, you can do what you want to try, build your nation without wars on all your borders every 10 turns. I have made it last night to 1952 with not one war at all. Just playing big brother to everyone. So, it feels so much more like a civ game. That is all I can say to you on it, my advise is spend the 27 bucks on steam and play it.

I don't think G+K has changed the feel of the game much, just expanded upon and corrected some problems in vanilla. I guess the AI is a little more peaceful though. (Hard for me to judge as I had an isolated start and am used to VEM which tends to have friendlier AI anyway).

I'm a role-player, but role-play to win, and so always somewhat liked the direction of V.

Yeah, you can "roleplay" with this game. You can build friendships and enemies with other civilizations and they will generally last.

Over time relations can sour or strengthen, keeping the diplomatic game interesting.

Liberation means something (AIs will almost always DoF after a liberation, CSs will be allies almost forever), so you can be the "protector" if you want.

Just don't cry foul when you get DoW'd, because that's a natural element of history.

There is no "They think we are trying to win the game the same way as them" modifier anymore.

Embassies are a nice RP inclusion. So are spies. Religion? Definitely, but I don't think it has enough effect on diplomacy (as I've seen).

Civ 5 really lacks role playing an empire as the game has gotten to easy to manage, no long term global effects, no long term diplomacy with AI civs, a generic city state happyness with your empire system, policy tree with no ramifications for choosing one. I could keep going but rants thread, and a few others can explain the big differences between the earlier version and this one, would like how is sim societies different from sim city. But if you don't see the difference between the too, don't let me change your mind :)
No long term global effects? What long term global effects? if anything, one of vanilla CiV's faults was that that all decisions had long term global effects, too few had short-term or instant ramifications.

Diplo and CSs have been improved. Check out the introductory thread.

TWO civics had any trade-offs. TWO. That's 8% of them. I am sick of people talking about the civics as if they were incredibly complex and each came with its pluses and minuses. They all gave ONLY positives, with the exception of Pacifism (which otherwise would have been completely OP) and Mercantilism (for the same reason). The rest 23 give bonuses.

I have checked out the rants thread, mostly people talking about how PC gaming is dying :rolleyes:, how there is no place for them in modern gaming :hmm:, and whether or not the new CiV patch makes the game run smoother:coffee:. Also a lot of talking about PI games (which are awesome). So please, do tell.

I actually managed to get a copy of G+K (I r having cunekshuns :scan:) and so far it seems to be easier to role-play. AI Civs are more reliable, and religion is fairly customizable. You can make a religion that benefits from spreading (say you want Chrstianity), you can turn it into a tool in your war conquests with the ability to buy holy warriors, or you can just pick some passive bonuses and never worry about it. Espionage also can be a nice tool for roleplaying, and its influence on diplomacy is significant enough. Still is limited, but I am positive this is just a stepping stone.

The fundamental things I still would change in CiV are, off the top of my head:
1. Local happiness, no maintenance for buildings, instead cities have a maintenance. It was one of the best features of CIV, the system was just perfect. Don't really need health much though.
2. Gold must have some influence on teching. In previous civ games I was constantly presented with small scale challenges that came from gold being associated with beakers, not growth - should I cottage the grasslands around that river, or first let my city grow and then turn those farms into money-makers? Now that challenge is gone, it's all about growth and nothing else.
3. You shouldn't be able to buy units right off the bat. It should come with a tech. This would also give the game a much needed sense of progression. Same goes for the current Espionage system. No initial investment to get a spy=no gratification for getting one.

Otherwise I am fine with it as it is. So please, explain what made role-playing easier for you in CIV, otherwise I can't give a straight answer.

EDIT: A way to enhance roleplaying would be to tweak the way CSs present quests. A CS shouting out "We are going to be friends with whoever builds that wonder" is very silly, are CSs in any position to make such demands? Should they even know such a wonder exists?! Makes little sense to me. But others, like "Bully that CS" or "Denounce Napoleon/Monty" (lets face it, it's always those two) really enhances role playing in my experience, and makes CSs feel like actual tiny nations and not like static NPC questgivers.

It will depend what happens in a patch or 2. Buildings are almost not worth it - library, shrine, uh... done. i MIGHT build walls but i hate doing that and i just wont build crap maintenance 2 buildings that offer minimum benefit.

Personally, i think MORE GOLD is needed but that is just me, i enjoy "buying" and i hate "building" so commerce works well for me. Autocracy is now a good social policy, and city states are better to bully than befriend. Divide the world into "enemy now" pool and "enemy later" pool.

Friend now pool you trade with, friendship with, denounce with, accept demands from etc. likewise enemy pool, find out what city states they are donating to and bully them. However they don't seem responsive to it from human players.

Top Bottom