Is it possible to build all wonders in one playthrough?

Vaynark

Chieftain
Any advice for building every wonder in one playthrough? I'm an occasional and beginner CIV5 player, just started playing again after I got G&K. Is it possible to build all wonders for any civ I can use in a playthrough? Can I do it in any difficulty? On Chieftain difficulty, I tried building every wonder up to the Colossus or Hanging Gardens but sometimes, the AI just unexpectedly announce that there are other civ have already built the wonder I been working on or any other wonder I haven't build yet:mad:. I've retried many times but I failed every time:crazyeye:. I'm want to ICS or at least sprawl bit by bit for my empire so I took liberty as my first policy and finished it in this order: Collective Rule, Republic, Citizenship, Representation, Meritocracy. Should I have taken Tradition and Aristocracy instead then go finish the rest or go directly to liberty after I got Aristocracy? Or should I concentrate with four cities first and finish Tradition, and go get Liberty and start expanding my empire? About the wonders and the GPP they make, Should I put one type of wonder in one city or just build them in any city as soon they are available to build? Any advice and suggestions are welcomed. Thanks in advance.

I'd imagine you could do it up to King. But you'd need to be a fairly good player so you know how to get the most out of your cities.

But you won't be able to go ICS while getting every wonder since ICS generally can't get many wonders due to low production. Your best bet would probably be 4-8 big cities that all can produce wonders at a respectable rate.

For social policies, Tradition would be a much better choice than Liberty. You'll want to get Rationalism so that you can tech ahead quicker and beat the AI to the wonders. And at least 1 point in Order so that you can buy GE's with Faith.

These should give you the best chance at building them all.
  • Egypt
  • re-roll until you have marble in the capital
  • Tradition policy to boost wonder production asap
  • Settler difficulty

Yes, this is absolutely possible because I have done it myself before. The thing is, this wonder building becomes the whole game. The main thing is not to try on anything higher than warlord since you will get randomly frustrated. If you just want to do this as a fun experiment, then have fun. The AI loves to build Great Library, Chichen Itza, so be sure to hit those asap. Be careful with the wonders that require mountains or desert (Machu Picchu, Neuschwanstein, Petra, come to mind).

There really isn't much to it, just take the Tradition policy, have a decent capitol location and remember to sell resources for money so you can rush buy the non-wonder stuff that you need. At the lower levels, you will not face much military pressure, so this is much easier. You probably want to open all tradition because growth is key to having powerful cities which you will need to hard build so many wonders. Ironworks is very helpful, and great engineers are great. Considering settling an early one, since the early wonders are relatively quick anyway. (Don't rush build an 8 turn Mausolleum of Halicarnarsass).

Marble is great, Egypt is great, even that pantheon belief is great. Keep your empire small and cities big, and settle cities in good locations. I did this with only one city on chieftain I think, and it wasn't hard after the ancient era. The ancient era is the toughest because there are so many wonders and you don't yet have a tech lead.

Good luck!

Is there an achievement for doing that? It sounds like fun. I might be revisiting settler level to go for it. Damn, just when I got over my wonders addiction.

Probably on Settler and as Egypt! Make sure you get that tradition policy that gives a boost towards wonder building. Also, make sure you get the Faith Ancient/Classical Wonder boost!

If i remember correctly someone here did this on Emperor with all the challenges you can make yourself
- All wonders
- OCC with 50 Population
- seven Policy Trees
- all spaceship Parts
- Being the only religion
- Allying all CS and win via Flawless Diplomativ Victory (all the leaders vote for you)

He did it on epic speed and managed to do it but i cannot find the thread atm

The big problem with jsut the wonder part, you need a starting location with a river, mountain and coast and marble when you do it OCC

There you go http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=485126

I actually did this recently on Settler just for giggles (I wanted the 'beat game on Settler' achievement and decided to make it interesting). I made it OCC too and took an archipelago start just so I could have a better chance at getting a mountain / desert / coastal start.

It was actually pretty easy at that difficulty. After rushing the early wonders AI loves to build I already had such an enormous tech lead on the Settler AI that getting all the rest was nothing really.

Is there an achievement for doing that? It sounds like fun. I might be revisiting settler level to go for it. Damn, just when I got over my wonders addiction.

there is an achievement for buildin all wonders yes, but it is accros any number of playthroughs

I got one start with all conditions with the exception of marble and the desert is within 3 tiles. Is that close enough for petra? I know that I could put a city there, but I'm trying to knock out the OCC as well.

For Petra your city has to be on or immediately adjacent to a desert tile. Also, there needs to be enough desert within 3 tiles to make building Petra worthwhile.

Note that Petra does not affect floodplains tiles and is barely worth building for flat desert tiles (essentially turns them into the equivalent of riverside plains tiles -- 1 food, 1 hammer and 1 gold). Petra heaven is tons of hills (riverside hills especially) with a couple of floodplains wheat for early food.

For Petra your city has to be on or immediately adjacent to a desert tile. Also, there needs to be enough desert within 3 tiles to make building Petra worthwhile.

Note that Petra does not affect floodplains tiles and is barely worth building for flat desert tiles (essentially turns them into the equivalent of riverside plains tiles -- 1 food, 1 hammer and 1 gold). Petra heaven is tons of hills (riverside hills especially) with a couple of floodplains wheat for early food.

I just need to build Petra, so I can build all the wonders, but I wasn't sure if it needed to be on or adjacent to desert, or within city borders. The rest of the Petra information will be handy for the future though. I did build Petra before, but it was on a hill and nothing but flat desert tiles around it. I was thinking what's so great about this thing. Now, I kinda get it.

Added note: I have been restarting for an hour and not one single marble in any start.

Your best shot if you really want all the wonders in the same game is an OCC game.

Egypt is a fine choice; more reliable than Marble.
But some wonders require a nearby Mountain, some require coast, and others require desert.

So, you'd need to reload until you get such a start. It may take a while ....
Now on Settler the AIs will never DOW you so don't build military units.

And you'd probably want that Monument to the Gods pantheon; which only works on early wonders so I'm thinking first tech reserached should be Pottery.
First build a Worker, but the moment Pottery completes, put Shrine in front of the worker. Next normal building would be a Granary but there may be wonders available by then.

No, you need petra for growth hammers and GA gold so you can remain competitive on science and production.

Also, it's very doable without marble at lower difficulty. The biggest problem is to manage to build so many wonders extremely early in the game (ancient/classical is where its all at) and at that point, marble bonus gives you +1-+2 hammer which can very well be compensated by a few Salt tiles to improve.

Merenpath's thread is great but don't go off thinking if its doable on emperor it's easy on every difficulty below. There were a lot of subtle crooked settings like max CSs which indirectly blew AIs expansion to the ground allowing Meren not to get outteched. Then there was also the classical era start such that he would have access to all early wonders techs early enough to discourage AIs from it. Epic also tends to cause AIs to be less wonder-aggressive.

I tried this, but I couldn't keep the AI away from all the early wonders. I didn't realize until trying this how many early wonders there are. Holy crap.:crazyeye:

There is so to say a "modified way" to do this. You have to go to folders and change the flavor for all wonders to 0. That way AI civs won't build any wonders in any game. Simply start a game on settler and slowly build wonder by wonder without fear that someone will over-run you with wonders.

Assuming you grab the early ones, it's over on any of the lower difficulties. You can outtech the AI to the rest.

FWIW, the achievement should be called WONDERSPAM!

Of course, it's far easier if you just have 1 AI opponent if you are going for the achievement.

Top Bottom