Is it possible to have "Too Much" choice in Civ?

Is it possible for their to be "TOO MUCH" variety in CIV?

• Yes, there's a point where it all becomes redundant.

Votes: 7 15.9%
  • No, and don't limit my options you communist.

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • Not sure.

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • I haven't reached that limit yet.

Votes: 13 29.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Crighton

Emperor
I've got a question I'd like to hear some opinion on. With the new expansion unit coming out later this summer and with all the possible custom civ's etc. is there a point where there's TOO MUCH variety and the game becomes a drag for you?

Crighton said:
I've got a question I'd like to hear some opinion on. With the new expansion unit coming out later this summer and with all the possible custom civ's etc. is there a point where there's TOO MUCH variety and the game becomes a drag for you?

Not for me. To be able to keep my interest long term, no two games should ever require the same strategy and tactics to win. S&T should be dependent on your civ and strengths, your location and your enemies. The more complexity, the better.

Tom

Variety is not a problem... The problem is when they put 10 more units and you can´t use them because they become obsolete before you build it...

My answer : don't care, since i'm not interested in the expansion anyway.

It depends on what the variety is like. If we get a load of new civs, but it feels like were just playing a cut and paste of two previous civs, the same leader traits of one leader and a UU very similar to that of another nation, then the choice is poor and meaningless IMO.

Bongo-Bongo said:
It depends on what the variety is like. If we get a load of new civs, but it feels like were just playing a cut and paste of two previous civs, the same leader traits of one leader and a UU very similar to that of another nation, then the choice is poor and meaningless IMO.

It's a good point, but at the same time, I'm more tolerant of civilization variety than any other expansion of choice in civ. Since it's a start-of-the-game choice, it can't possibly slow down gameplay and as long as they're balanced, the inclusion of a civ I don't care for can't harm me.

"Too much choice" happens when there are so many little decisions to make that none of them are strategically compelling or satisfying and only the poeple who play marathon only have the patience to wade through all the options you're hit with in a standard game. I understand some people like it, just not for me. Fortunately, Civ 4 isn't anywhere near that threshhold, which is why I look forward to the expansion so readily.

*prays for more civics*

Top Bottom