Is Oil Rare?

DanaLea

Prince
Supporter
Anyone know if oil is supposed to be rare? I just unlocked the ability to see it.... there is one in my territory (in water, so I can't access it yet) and elsewhere, on this huge map I'm playing... I can only find three others. So four oil on a map that has I think 12 players? (I always play fewer than standard so there's room to expand)

Anyway, that sound right to you?

It can only appear in desert and tundra. If you have little of that, there'll be little oil.

Just like what I had recently, I had over 20 cities and not a single aluminium resource, as it can appear in desert only.

Resources can appear under districts and will then automaticly be available. In your own territory you'll get a notification ofcourse but since there won't be an icon on the map it's hard to find where other civs have them under districts.

Even with deserts and tundras I find it difficult to get. Sometimes it requires some serious conquest or building a crap city just to have access to it. Sometimes even this does not help. This and the scoring thread makes me think they really want you to spread all over the world, except managing such large empires stops being fun which is a problem. I hope they make it less rare in the next patch, it's a bit annoying to go through what looks like a nice game only to find out in the modern era that you won't have any oil.

Having no oil isn't as annoying as in previous civs though. Think it's just tanks and carriers that require it.

Yay! create a lot of useless terrain at the start of the game so that maybe, perhaps, I'll get some extra recourse near the end. And even that is not certain.

Snow. Don't forget snow. It shows up there too. :(

At least we only need 1 of them, unlike Civ5. (you know how much oil it takes to feed my Panzer Armies?) :D

I've found it fairly rare, but I don't think that's a big deal, as it's kind of nice to maybe see some resources that you have to "fight" for if you want them.

I just wish that it was used for more things. I mean, no oil = no tanks or carriers. Oh well, I just use other units instead.

I've found it fairly rare, but I don't think that's a big deal, as it's kind of nice to maybe see some resources that you have to "fight" for if you want them.

I just wish that it was used for more things. I mean, no oil = no tanks or carriers. Oh well, I just use other units instead.

Don't get me wrong - I like having to fight for some resources too. Feels very immersive. But on too many huge maps there has only been one oil on land! That means that one Civ (and God forbid it's the human in SP lol) will have access to oil for quite a while until the offshore platforms kick in. Really there should be at least two to three on each continent so that there is a fight in your vicinity...

Snow. Don't forget snow. It shows up there too. :(

With the update to harbors cities on tundra and snow can do reasonably well, especially if there are some sea resources near. I really love the new harbors, did much to revitalize the game for me.

Edit: I prefer playing on continents or islands, on pangea this is of course no help.

Its certainly more at sea than on land and its no rarer than iron, more common if you include the sea.

Its good its not easy as oil is not that easy in real life and is a classic when someone has built themselves a knight army and is cockily winning with it.... AT troops and infantry arrive and you have no oil.... sunk. Serves you right for playing pangea to make your life easier

TBH, practically every game I get the free early oil from the great merchant and I often do not really need it. If you have a knight army thats what you needs to be saving for and looking out for... its not like the Ai builds many CD and you have plenty of points at that time in the game.... shame in a way, oil does need to be scarce IMO and one settler and a builder is normally enough to get it in the tundra, often 2 in one place somewhere on the map.

The land one is kinda important for the boost to plastic. (and for getting the upgrades to tanks of course) :)

I just hate the thought of having to go found a city in the middle of nothing much just to get 1 oil.
I will of course, I just don't like it.

I will of course, I just don't like it.
Oil companies have to do it in real life, they seem not to mind, maybe if you got some money back from steam every time you founded an oil city it would be fairer.

Its certainly more at sea than on land and its no rarer than iron, more common if you include the sea.

I have to disagree that it's not rarer than iron. Then maybe that's a huge or continents bug (my go to map) rather than a whole game bug.

I'd love to build a city in some unproductive site just to get oil! I've never seen it. The one or two I discover on land have always been well and truely in another Civs sphere of influence. I don't think I've ever seen one in tundra :/

Top Bottom