Is the Steam DRM just a one-time verification check? Or is it much more?

... except, of course, if Valve decides to terminate your account, as they have already done to some (although admittedly VERY rarely and supposedly for good reason - although I wonder whether any reason is good enough to stop you from enjoying, at least offline, something you've payed for)

But anyway, I for one buy my games because I consider it the right thing to do, not because of legal reasons, and Valve terminating my account, should it ever happen, will not stop me from enjoying a game I've payed for. ;)

So having this in mind, I have less of a problem with Steam policies.
But I do think you should tell the whole truth, if you're going to clarify about Steam. ;)

Wait, you can play the game illegally and without paying? I know clearly you were saying only if you lost your account, but, if you can do that, can't people easily steal the game.

Let's look at the title questions:

Is the Steam DRM just a one-time verification check? Or is it much more?

Please correct me, and add a link for verification, if you believe any of my answers are incorrect.

- After the initial Civ5 DRM verification is completed can I remove Steam from my computer? No

- After I have started a game of Civ5 can I turn Steam off? No

- Does Steam differentiate between single-player vs multi-player or offline vs online? In other words can even I play a single-player offline game without Steam being required to start and constantly monitor my actions? No

- Additional cost game content is already being offered, a Babylonian civ and a Mesopotamia map, and DLC is promised. Can some corporate guy decide that an independent game mod or content, from any source, is too similar to the official paid content and ban it? Yes

- Can the Steam program be updated (when you connect to Steam, upload a patch, etc) to include a check for banned mods/content? Yes

- Because Steam is required to start and constantly run while playing Civ5, can it prevent me from playing with the now-banned mods/content in my game? Yes

Please refrain from personal attacks, flames and name-calling as that hinders constructive discussion.

I honestly don't know what Steam is, can somebody clarify? And, is it really a bad thing like a lot of people are saying?

Valve uses it personally to gauge how far along they'll update their Source engine.

Well, in that case, I wish Civ 3 would have used a Steam like program. They quit developing that program with more bugs than a rainforest.

And remember, along with what elizabeth said, Steam also is environmentally friendly and limits pollution and destruction to the Earth's atmospheres and lands, and saving the Earth is important! Saving Trees for the small manual in the plastic box is also important!

The only downside is the electricity usage from having to leave your computer on while downloading, and increased cost of the same game to purchase online (which is cheaper than putting a package in stores).

Steam will even give you a massage when your back is not feeling it's best! :cool:

I honestly don't know what Steam is, can somebody clarify?

Steam: ;)

This is, indeed, true. Steam will be used with Civ V and you will have to run it when you play the game, but it won't prevent you from playing mods - we're not interested in limiting you guys. We are using the system to get you guys to connect together and find content easily, to have updates conveniently, to have a system that doesn't require a DVD... Steam is all of those things.

Thank you. Information is a good thing. :)

Now we are onto the issue. Who decides what is the "actual copyright"? Not us. I expect to see a bunch of Babylonian civ mods just after the game is released. What about the Mesopotamia map? How close can a map be to the copyrighted map before some corporate bean counter decides it is an infringement on their content? Based on prior experience can we then expect Valve to block the content? What if the content is already on my computer on a half-finished game? Can I expect the Steam client on my computer to give an error message about blocked content when I start Civ5?

Could you put our concerns to rest once and for all?

This is, indeed, true. Steam will be used with Civ V and you will have to run it when you play the game, but it won't prevent you from playing mods - we're not interested in limiting you guys. We are using the system to get you guys to connect together and find content easily, to have updates conveniently, to have a system that doesn't require a DVD... Steam is all of those things.

Bull-sh-it.

I wont allow u to expose my privacy to STEAM.
if u publish via STEAM i just wont buy, but use the CRACK-Version that will be released immediately after release ;-)

Dont get me wrong, Civ ever was and probably will be my favorite game, i have bought every version, even the Microproose ToT, but i just cant allow u to abuse my privacy.

If Steam then no money from me, but ill play the game for sure ;-)

Moderator Action: infraction for foul language and brakeing the forum's policy on priacy

Bull-sh-it.

if u publish via STEAM i just wont buy, but use the CRACK-Version that will be released immediately after release ;-)

Dont get me wrong, Civ ever was and probably will be my favorite game, i have bought every version, even the Microproose ToT, but i just cant allow u to abuse my privacy.

Paranoid...

Also I do not think anyone will lose sleep over this. If you cannot accept that the developers who seek to make the most of these things will not try to mess with you then there is nothing anyone can say to make it better. Good luck with your medication and everything!

Bull-sh-it.

lol...just lol...

Valve is a respected games developer.

Fu ck u guyz.

U dont havy any clue how u r abused, really u should be more paranoid or u deserve to be the sex-slaves of modern piracy called entrepreneurship.

Valve is respected by whom. Publishers? Or Kiddies to lazy to order by phone or store.
I wont link u to the special pages, because u just deserve to be slaves...

Moderator Action: infraction for foul language

Ignore list, meet Kosmopolit, Kosmopolit, this is my ignore list.

Fu ck u guyz.

U dont havy any clue how u r abused, really u should be more paranoid or u deserve to be the sex-slaves of modern piracy called entrepreneurship.

Valve is respected by whom. Publishers? Or Kiddies to lazy to order by phone or store.
I wont link u to the special pages, because u just deserve to be slaves...

The larger and more prominent FPS community. Please research before posting 'facts'.

u noob
why dont Crytek use STEAM?

Most FPS-Gamers really dislike steam, actually iam progamer in this scene.
Maybe u should better recherche before posting bs.

Moderator Action: infraction for flameing

Wait, you can play the game illegally and without paying? I know clearly you were saying only if you lost your account, but, if you can do that, can't people easily steal the game.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you're implying, if there is a deeper implication in there. And I don't want to promote piracy, I was only addressing a hypothetical situation in which I'd be cheated out of something I had payed for. If I'm treated unfairly, my moral incentive for being fair relative to the situation fades away.

Don't mind me. Just quoting a post.

Yeah.

You are the one propagating them in this topic. And no matter how you'd look at it, in the silliest scenario, the burden of proof would still not be on us, but on those making the original claim. Again... burden of proof always lies with those who make the claim, not those skeptical to it. If the skeptics, on the other hand, make a statement themselves, then they are also bound by that burden of proof.

But no matter how you look at it, you can't present a statement and ask people to prove you wrong. First offer a demonstration of why you think you're right.

And if you think that the original posters should offer proof, then tell it to THEM. And stop propagating their ideas. ;)

I did tell it to them. Most of those threads were flamed until they got locked.

As requested, a demonstration of why I think I am right -unless I'm not and as from the OP:

Please correct me, and add a link for verification, if you believe any of my answers are incorrect.

- After the initial Civ5 DRM verification is completed can I remove Steam from my computer? No

- After I have started a game of Civ5 can I turn Steam off? No

- Does Steam differentiate between single-player vs multi-player or offline vs online? In other words can even I play a single-player offline game without Steam being required to start and constantly monitor my actions? No

Answer is common knowledge. Information agreed upon by everyone. Also confirmed here:

Steam will be used with Civ V and you will have to run it when you play the game...

- Can the Steam program be updated (when you connect to Steam, upload a patch, etc) to include a check for banned mods/content? Yes

Steam, like most software has different versions with the most current updates. As Steam client software can be updated then it could be updated to also include anything the programmer wants to add, including if desired a check for prohibited mods/content.

- Because Steam is required to start and constantly run while playing Civ5, can it prevent me from playing with the now-banned mods/content in my game? Yes

Answer is an extrapolation from the questions above. If a new version is made it could include a check for banned content. If a check for banned content is positive, and Steam is required in all instances in order to play Civ5, then Steam can prevent me from playing with the now-banned mods/content in my game.

Don't mind me. Just quoting a post.

Yeah.

Welcome back! I knew you would feel the love and want to re-join our little discussion. :)

I even added Elizabeth's comment to the OP for all to see.

But, she still didn't answer the most important questions about infringement or banning mods/content or the Steam client being able to preventing Civ5 from playing with banned content. :(

Now we are onto the issue. Who decides what is the "actual copyright"? Not us. I expect to see a bunch of Babylonian civ mods just after the game is released. What about the Mesopotamia map? How close can a map be to the copyrighted map before some corporate bean counter decides it is an infringement on their content? Based on prior experience can we then expect Valve to block the content? What if the content is already on my computer on a half-finished game? Can I expect the Steam client on my computer to give an error message about blocked content when I start Civ5?

Welcome back! I knew you would feel the love and want to re-join our little discussion. :)

I even added Elizabeth's comment to the OP for all to see.

But, she still didn't answer the most important questions about infringement or banning mods/content or the Steam client being able to preventing Civ5 from playing with banned content. :(

Sorry, had to drive home. Glad you missed me.

My post explicitly said "Steam cannot be used to prevent you from playing with any particular mods." and she said the post was correct, so I think you can stick a tick in that box.

Firaxis has said that they will attempt to moderate the in-built mod browser themselves via a crowd sourced flagging system. The rules Firaxis enforces will likely be the same rules that are enforced on sites like CFC so I doubt anyone will notice.

@mossmonster
Thank you for the reply!
I am sorry, however, that I must disappoint you. My involvement in the thread had more to do with the fact that I wanted the burden of proof understood well in this matter. And I also wanted to address too much alarmism. That being said, I will not argue for or against your ideas. ;)

I will, however, offer my opinion on something: I'd have a problem if Steam blocked legitimate mods. I'd have no problem if Steam blocked a "mod" which basically was the Babylonian civilization from the Deluxe version, but with the "y" changed into an "i", for instance.

Top Bottom