Is this the sign of a bad player to start new games until you ''like'' your start ?

I reroll if there's a specific type of game I have in mind and the start I've got simply doesn't allow for it. Trying to build all the wonders in the game as Egypt, for example (even as Egypt you need Marble or you're screwed).

Sometiems I reroll if I'm bored, or for the hell of it. Once I've played a few turns though, I stick with what I've got.

Restarting or reloading baffles me, for my style of playing, at least. What's the point of playing if ou can't lose? I play for the challenge, personally.

I usually only re rolled if I was in desert in vanilla, but now that there is desert worship or w/e I don't really feel the need to restart after a start like that :>

When I found myself starting on an all-tundra island in my current Maya game I had serious thoughts about restarting, but hey I like a challenge...

Restarting or reloading baffles me, for my style of playing, at least. What's the point of playing if ou can't lose? I play for the challenge, personally.

I usually don't play to WIN, so for me at least it's more a matter of finding a map that will allow me to try something out.

I mean more precisely the starting zone. (I'm a sucker for Marble and a river)

If so, then I'm a bad player. I'll survive.

To me it's a personal preference thing. Some like to play "the hand that's dealt to them" and that's fine. Sometimes I play that way too.

Most of the time I want to have a good start since I'll be playing the game for hours and hours and I just don't enjoy having a mediocre capital site. I'm not usually looking for a resource bonanza, I just like to be on a river with some food and production potential rather than having a mediocre site that might pass as a filler city in one of my empires.

I really wish Civ 5 had a regenerate map options (from the game, not from the menus after exiting the game) for players who are picky about starting location.

Not necessarily a bad player, but I would see it as one who isn't up for a challenge or is playing on too high a difficulty level. I would much rather play on Emperor with no loading saves and no re-rolling maps than Diety and game everything to death.

The game is simply a lot more fun if you take it as it comes IMO. Just yesterday I had a map where I started out with the Maya in the middle of a continent, on a peninsula, with only jungles around, few luxuries, and Rome, Carthage and the Huns surrounding me. I was eventually beaten and lost a few cities, so I just surrendered that game and started a new one. Much more enjoyable than just steamrolling each time.

I'll happily spend 20 minutes reloading and exploring maps to find one I like and I think will be fun.

I'd rather do that than spend 6 hours playing a game that ends up being boring or too difficult thanks to a sub-par capital. I think players who focus more on war don't do this as much, but builders like me won't settle for anything less than an epic capital city. That's what makes the game fun for me.

And to add to that - in the past I have custom made ridiculously awesome starting spots for myself, sometimes for OCC. When I do this, I ramp up the difficulty beyond what I can normally handle. It makes for an interesting game.

I used to do it all the time, then i saw the start Maddjinn just got in his current game and he took it like a boss and didnt say a word. Now i play all those "crappy" starts i thought i had.

Its hard to judge if its a bad spot or not cause strategic resources are also very important and if you explore a little further there might be a lot of luxury resources around and you might be rather secluded allowing you to expand and build up.

I'm a sucker for coast line though. I like using naval units a lot.

Exactly, you find a nice map, only to learn there is no Iron or coal, but 20 horses. :lol:

There is something appealing to just going random Civ, take the first you get and try to win. Though I haven't done this yet.

And recently as Boudicca, primarily because I was completely unsure as to how to play her, ended up giving her a Culture Victory, as I realised her ability and unique items are rather "Culture" oriented. Happily, I killed two stones with one bird (please don't laugh, I'm aware of the error I made) and conquered the whole continent before Runaway Washington annhilated me on Warlord :| stupid Continents Plus -.-, so much Jungle.

Or u better say 'I grabbed 2 stones with one city'. :) BTW I think Celts would be good for expanding quickly with lots of cities & then aim for maybe science victory. I usually don't end my games unless I am playing a civ with late game UUs.

I dont think so, unless you shooting for minimum of 3 luxury nearby or something like that.

I'll restart a few times (if needed) if the surrounding terrain just doesnt grab me and give me that certain feeling that there is an interesting situation to deal with. If its too generic and plain (like all plains for instance) I tend to restart. Or if it "looks" like a random jumble of terrain types. Stuff like that.

I used to restart before, but it is alot of fun trying to make a bad start work :)
Restarting alot doesnt necesarry make you bad, but a good civ player isnt someone that can make use of a perfect start, but someone that can climb out of the start.

:):):)

Attachments

• Good for you christian bale.JPG
    Good for you christian bale.JPG
    37.5 KB · Views: 72
I got a dream Inca start once with a bunch of hills and like half the tiles were mountains, but I was Austria. I knew I would get all the city states anyhow so I just kept it. If I save the map, how do I load it again for a different game? Thanks.

I'm usually more concerned with the type of landmass I'm on rather than the surrounding resources. If I don't end up on a river with tons of luxuries, it's no big deal. But if I land on a puny little island with no real terrain features to speak of and nowhere to expand, that game is toast.

Heres my experience with rolling starts:

1) Whenever i get a super duper start for my first city i find that all the surrounding terran leaves much to be desired for my 2nd and 3rd cities, often there will be a few bonus resources, maybe a luxury, and then undesirable tiles like Tundra/Desert/Snow surrounding the landscape.

2) Now when I roll a mediocre/crappy spot with maybe 1 cow, and 2 luxuries off a river in the middle of the plains, I tend to find a plethora of amazing spots for a 2nd and 3rd and 4th city location. This is my prefered type of map considering my playstyle tends to be a Liberty/Commerce wide empire, and having 3-4 solid core cities is the backbone to my strategy.

Either way i tend to just play it through

I used to do it all the time, then i saw the start Maddjinn just got in his current game and he took it like a boss and didnt say a word. Now i play all those "crappy" starts i thought i had.

Tundra starts are actually decent - they tend to have oil, aluminium and uranium for the late game.

Top Bottom